UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

greeny

Visit site
Re: Registration For Long-stay Campers?

Also entitles you to a Portuguese EHIC, in case UK drops out of the scheme.

This strangely seems to be the case at the moment from the experiences of friends who have obtained EHIC in Portugal but still pay their tax in UK.
Personally I pay tax in Portugal and have a Portuguese EHIC.
Thinking this one through to logical conclusion (probably a silly thing to do in Portugal) :-
I'm not sure how the Portuguese fund this at the moment in their healthcare budget and maybe they can recover some cost back from UK although I wouldn't think so.
One thing i was told in UK when i tried to renew my EHIC there a few years ago was that if i am not resident for tax in UK then I could not have a UK EHIC. That's why I went for the Portuguese one 4 years ago.
If we exit with no deal and there is no reciprocal health agreement then it is hard to see why Portugal would/should fund healthcare for expats living here if they were not taxpayers and did not contribute in Portugal but in the UK.
Or am I missing something here?

Last edited:

maxi77

Visit site

This strangely seems to be the case at the moment from the experiences of friends who have obtained EHIC in Portugal but still pay their tax in UK.
Personally I pay tax in Portugal and have a Portuguese EHIC.
Thinking this one through to logical conclusion (probably a silly thing to do in Portugal) :-
I'm not sure how the Portuguese fund this at the moment in their healthcare budget and maybe they can recover some cost back from UK although I wouldn't think so.
One thing i was told in UK when i tried to renew my EHIC there a few years ago was that if i am not resident for tax in UK then I could not have a UK EHIC. That's why I went for the Portuguese one 4 years ago.
If we exit with no deal and there is no reciprocal health agreement then it is hard to see why Portugal would/should fund healthcare for expats living here if they were not taxpayers and did not contribute in Portugal but in the UK.
Or am I missing something here?

I understand your point and this was very much why we have avoided even registering for residency even when we were here full time. We will get our social security number and register with the local health centre not to blag the system but rather as a hard brexit insurance policy. As long as it is available to us we will use the UK EHIC if required

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

I understand your point and this was very much why we have avoided even registering for residency even when we were here full time. We will get our social security number and register with the local health centre not to blag the system but rather as a hard brexit insurance policy. As long as it is available to us we will use the UK EHIC if required

I suspect you may have to be officially resident and have a fiscal number before you can get a social security number or EHIC.

Graham376

Visit site
Resident or registered?

If resident, it would mean newcomers would not be able to get a Portuguese EHIC for their first 5 years in Portugal.

It's some years since my original registration and paperwork may have changed but I think the registration document you refer to is 5 years temporary residence which, on expiry, can be replaced by permanent residence.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Resident or registered?

If resident, it would mean newcomers would not be able to get a Portuguese EHIC for their first 5 years in Portugal.

It's some years since my original registration and paperwork may have changed but I think the registration document you refer to is 5 years temporary residence which, on expiry, can be replaced by permanent residence.

In Greece at least healthcare is a different animal to residence. In Greece you register and then 5 years later you will get permanent residence (as an EU citizen I might add).

Again in Greece, having permanent residence does not get you any healthcare, though the (UK) EHIC is accepted everywhere. Those receiving a UK state pension can (and should) apply to the DWP for an S1 form which you present to the Greek EFKA office to get Greek healthcare (paid for by the UK). The accompanying letter says that you will still get NHS care as though ordinarily resident in the UK and you can apply for a Greek EHIC for the rest of the EU.

I rather suspect that the healthcare provisions and procedures might vary between EU countries, though the S1 form and ability to transfer to the health scheme of your country of residence is (I believe) EU-wide.

macd

Visit site
...though the S1 form and ability to transfer to the health scheme of your country of residence is (I believe) EU-wide.

It is, although there are some differences country-to-country. Not all states, for instance, offer continued healthcare entitlement in the 'home' country, although the majority do. (As I think you're aware, the UK didn't until 2014 but, strangely, later in Scotland and Wales.)

maxi77

Visit site
In Greece at least healthcare is a different animal to residence. In Greece you register and then 5 years later you will get permanent residence (as an EU citizen I might add).

Again in Greece, having permanent residence does not get you any healthcare, though the (UK) EHIC is accepted everywhere. Those receiving a UK state pension can (and should) apply to the DWP for an S1 form which you present to the Greek EFKA office to get Greek healthcare (paid for by the UK). The accompanying letter says that you will still get NHS care as though ordinarily resident in the UK and you can apply for a Greek EHIC for the rest of the EU.

I rather suspect that the healthcare provisions and procedures might vary between EU countries, though the S1 form and ability to transfer to the health scheme of your country of residence is (I believe) EU-wide.

Also the stuff I have read appears to imply that costs not met in the country of residence which would be covered in the UK can be reclaimed though I have not got further on quite how you do it.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Also the stuff I have read appears to imply that costs not met in the country of residence which would be covered in the UK can be reclaimed though I have not got further on quite how you do it.

I suspect that applies only if you're using the EHIC? I think that you can possibly claim back the cost of prescribed medication that you have to pay for abroad and which would normally be free (or subsidised) in the UK?

In Greece the EFKA insurance subsidises certain medications, but the care you receive is the same as using EHIC. That's why, for a pensioner living here switching to EFKA makes sense.

Seven Spades

Visit site
If you become a resident I am sure that the UK issued ICC won't be valid and you will need to pass the local equivalent. It won't affect visiting yachtsmen but anyone resident is likely to need a locally issued ICC.

capnsensible

Visit site
If you become a resident I am sure that the UK issued ICC won't be valid and you will need to pass the local equivalent. It won't affect visiting yachtsmen but anyone resident is likely to need a locally issued ICC.

We are residents in the Canary Islands. As such, we imported our yacht (actually, at the time 2 yachts) and retained UK flag. Doesnt seem to be an issue so far! There are no 'rumours' of a change either.

Seven Spades

Visit site
You might want to read this:-

http://www.lamoncloa.gob.es/lang/en/brexit/howtoprepare/Paginas/190109transport.aspx

I am a British citizen currently residing in the Canary Islands/Balearic Islands. Will I continue to benefit from maritime transport discounts on my inter-island journeys and journeys to the mainland by sea?
After the United Kingdom withdraws from the European Union and becomes a third country, you will only be able to continue enjoying these discounts if you have long-term resident status.

I have a British pleasure boat licence. Will British licences be recognised after Brexit?
No. Spanish legislation recognises licences from European countries, meaning that any licences issued by the United Kingdom for sailing private pleasure boats will no longer be recognised and their owners should either obtain a Spanish licence or a licence issued by another Member State of the European Union.

Last edited:

Graham376

Visit site

About 10 years ago, on return to the UK, I reclaimed the costs of some medical tests done in Portugal but when trying again some years later was told they can no longer be repaid. Have never tried with medication but all mine available quite cheaply over the counter here without prescription. Maybe those holding S1 are treated differently?

nortada

Visit site

Seven Spades, Do you hold Spanish or Portuguese residencia and what experience do you have of Iberia?

Last edited:

nortada

Visit site
From #614 QUESTION: I have a British pleasure boat licence. Will British licences be recognized after Brexit?

ANSWER: No. Spanish legislation recognizes licences from European countries, meaning that any licences issued by the United Kingdom for sailing private pleasure boats will no longer be recognized and their owners should either obtain a Spanish licence or a licence issued by another Member State of the European Union.

An interesting suggestion that Spanish legislation only recognizes Spanish licences or licences issued by EU countries so if Brexit happens British sailors will have to obtain a Spanish licence or a licence issued by another Member State of the European Union.

Is this problem confined to just Spain or is it EU wide.

Best I rush around and warn all of my sailing friends from non-EU countries that they had better obtain a Spanish licence or a licence issued by another Member State of the European Union as soon as possible:encouragement:

By the way, what is a British pleasure boat licence:confused:

At best speculation, at worst project fear; neither of which are in the spirit if this thread or (http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?513713-Update-on-Temp-Residence-in-Portugal) and (http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?512469-Health-insurance) threads (there are others), that aim to help folk overseas plan for the worst - now where have I seen that before;)

Last edited:

captmikecoin

Visit site