UK Sailors And Expats In The EU - Run Up To Friday 29th March 2019 & Beyond?

macd

Visit site
Re: Registration For Long-stay Campers?

Actually I was quite serious. If you are certain that a UK ambassador is giving incorrect advice to UK citizens in her country of responsibility I think you have a duty to report that.

Are you seriously asking me to be "certain" of something I read on a forum (even though it came from someone I know and respect)? To state the obvious, I cannot be certain, since I was not privy to her remarks. You were.

It shouldn't be necessary, but I'll gladly spell out further the ways in which the ambassador was mistaken. I'll even run them past my accountant next week to confirm what's already abundantly clear (if she'll offer a freebie).

You're the injured party, Tony. Not me. Get off the fence.

Tony Cross

Visit site

Are you seriously asking me to be "certain" of something I read on a forum (even though it came from someone I know and respect)? To state the obvious, I cannot be certain, since I was not privy to her remarks. You were.

It shouldn't be necessary, but I'll gladly spell out further the ways in which the ambassador was mistaken. I'll even run them past my accountant next week to confirm what's already abundantly clear (if she'll offer a freebie).

How am I injured? I simply reported what was said, you're the one using words like 'irresponsible'.

nortada

Visit site

How am I injured? I simply reported what was said, you're the one using words like 'irresponsible'.

PMs at dawn?:encouragement:;)

Last edited:

BurnitBlue

Visit site
Take the following with a pinch of salt. The English language newspaper called "Local" the on line edition published in many EU countries for "expats" has an article today about the EU green card (what ever that is) being a solution for free movement after Brexit. I only glanced at it because it does not affect me at all. Apart from being a bit complicated for my little brain. You may loke to check it out.

Sorry if it is a red herring just giving a heads-up.

nortada

Visit site
Take the following with a pinch of salt. The English language newspaper called "Local" the on line edition published in many EU countries for "expats" has an article today about the EU green card (what ever that is) being a solution for free movement after Brexit. I only glanced at it because it does not affect me at all. Apart from being a bit complicated for my little brain. You may loke to check it out.

Sorry if it is a red herring just giving a heads-up.

Love to but please provide a link.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
In France, a mobile home cannot be used 365 days in a year. As a direct consequence you cannot be permanently resident in a mobile home and you won't be able to get a Carte de Sejour as it requires that you have a valid permanent French address.

I don't think French administration has any knowledge whatsoever as to what a liveaboard is. So you might have a chance in using the Marina as your permanent home address.

maxi77

Visit site
In France, a mobile home cannot be used 365 days in a year. As a direct consequence you cannot be permanently resident in a mobile home and you won't be able to get a Carte de Sejour as it requires that you have a valid permanent French address.

I don't think French administration has any knowledge whatsoever as to what a liveaboard is. So you might have a chance in using the Marina as your permanent home address.

I think this varies from country to country. most campsites in Portugal give annual contracts and most have one or two or more permanent residents, all expats of one type or another.

maxi77

Visit site

You may be correct but I have my doubts. All you have proof of is that you have an address in Portugal but you don't have a residence document issued by SEF. How are you going to satisfy officialdom there or other countries you drive through on the way home that you have right to be there >90 days?

Having hopefully jumped through all the hoops at ore local Camara we should get our 'residentia' on Monday when it has been signed. Though issued by the Camara it is a Portuguese Government document which states the person is an EU citizen who is a registered resident in Portugal. It is on for Portugal very posh paper and has a serial number. It also entitles us to a social security number and medical registration as well. I believe that the SEF registration is after the first five years, but as ever in these things in Portugal I could be wrong

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

......It also entitles us to a social security number and medical registration as well. I believe that the SEF registration is after the first five years, but as ever in these things in Portugal I could be wrong

Also entitles you to a Portuguese EHIC, in case UK drops out of the scheme.

maxi77

Visit site
Seems the more the camara is dependent on expats/tourism the easier it is to register. Wonder why?;)

I suspect it is as much down to the fact they deal with many more, Silves is is a bit of a back water for permanent expats whilst it is a mecca for the campers in winter

Tony Cross

Visit site

Having hopefully jumped through all the hoops at ore local Camara we should get our 'residentia' on Monday when it has been signed. Though issued by the Camara it is a Portuguese Government document which states the person is an EU citizen who is a registered resident in Portugal. It is on for Portugal very posh paper and has a serial number. It also entitles us to a social security number and medical registration as well. I believe that the SEF registration is after the first five years, but as ever in these things in Portugal I could be wrong

Also entitles you to a Portuguese EHIC, in case UK drops out of the scheme.

This looks very similar to the procedure here in Greece. Our 'permanent resident' documents also state that the person is an EU citizen who is a permanent resident in Greece. The 'permanent resident' status is also automatic in Greece five years after first registering.

We also (as UK pensioners) used the S1 form process to change our healthcare to the Greek EFKA system, and that also allows us to apply for a Greek EHIC to be used for travel elsewhere in the EU (healthcare in the UK is also covered 'as though we were ordinarily resident' there).

A Greek 'social security' number is called an AMKA number and these have to be applied for separately, I think (TBH I can't remember) that you have to be registered to get one.

It would seem, using Portugal and Greece as models, that the residence process is broadly similar across the EU?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site

It would seem, using Portugal and Greece as models, that the residence process is broadly similar across the EU?

Broadly similar yes but there are differences depending on whether individuals have emigrated from UK or, just have a second country of residence which is allowed. For instance, I have not left the UK, I am still resident there. I (in common with some others) have taken residence in Portugal to safeguard ability to stay here >90 days if "no deal". No need for S1 to register with doctor/get into health care system. Quite why having a social security number is beneficial, I have no idea but may apply for one anyway. Renting one's house out in one country and living on social benefits in another isn't an option here, unlike the UK.