Tuning and sailing a Dehler 31

captainkirk

Visit site
We have just purchased a 1985 Dehler 31 and it seems like a really nice boat. One thing that I have noticed is that the boat has a strong tendancy to round up into wind when sailing close hauled, does anyone have any tips on how to reduce this. I have thought that it may be down to tuning the rig so if anyone has experience of tuning up a Dehler 31 your input would be much appreciated.

hquinn

Visit site
We have a Dehler 34 (same design as 31)- They are excellent sailing boats with a good turn of speed however they do not like being over canvased, we put a first reef in at about 15knts breeze. They like to sail more or less upright and when windy and sailing upwind put a lot of backstay on. Downwind release the back stay. Lots of tweeking to do on a Dehler to get optimum performance. Hope this helps

dt4134

Visit site
I've crewed on a Dehler 31 a few times whilst racing and found her incredibly well balanced. Even carried full main, suitably flattened & with lots of backstay tension, to windward in a F6. The main sheet had to be actively played to keep her sufficiently upright. Leeway was excessive though (shallow keel) so perhaps shouldn't make a habit of it.

I suspect that if you're happy with the sails & their trim and the main wasn't over-powered when you had the problems you should look at the rig.

They're excellent boats for their size.

mhouse

Visit site
Welcome to the club.
I race my dehler 31 and as above dont push it too hard. I think the angle of heel is 22 degrees max. Reef early , reduce the genoa 1st. Pm me if you want any further details of builder manuals etc if you dont have them, they have wind strenghts for sail settings etc. The best bit states that it should plane at 17 knots. Ive only got 15 1/2 so far)
Have fun.
Matt

captainkirk

Visit site
Thanks for your replies I think a bit of practice is in order. mhouse im new here and I don't know what Pm means? can you enlighten me.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
PM = Private message.

Click on a contributors name and you'll be given the option to send them a private message. Click the option and a message form comes up. There's one coming your way to demonstrate. You'll see a flashing envelope icon top left. Clicking that will open up the PM.