Furler problems

mrangry

Visit site
Look, I’ve got the same furler. It’s not the bearing, they are like it from new. Mine is the same now as when I installed it, I last had it in my hand 3 weeks ago.
Look, it is impossible for you or I to confirm whether the bearing are worn, I am simply offering my experiences having actually rebuilt the unit

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Points taken. Seams odd though to have so much friction. Can only increase the risk of a wrap if the halyard is not under tension.

Steveeasy
Yes, I thought it was too stiff for my liking. We used to have trouble with our old jib, but Rob at Ullmans measured the new sail to Fit, capital F. It's still stiff, but it doesn’t stop completely any more. And as I say, for whatever reason, its worse with the main sheeted hard. Which, to be fair is a lot of tension. We winch our 24:1 sheet in 15kn of wind, likewise the runners go on pretty hard.

fredrussell

Visit site
Our top swivel is the same, I have wondered if that is why the whole system is so ‘tight’. Wish I’d paid the extra for Harken. Mrs C cannot hand furl the jib, she has to winch it. I can do it, but it’s not easy.
Is it possible your top swivel is faulty? I mean, from the factory? Seems a very odd way to design a bearing. Is this a common fault/feature with this brand of furler?

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Is it possible your top swivel is faulty? I mean, from the factory? Seems a very odd way to design a bearing. Is this a common fault/feature with this brand of furler?
It appears ours is the same as Steve’s. It feels like the seals are gripping it. I thought it would ease up in use, but so far not. Faulty… you might say that amount of stiffness is a fault. But like I say. No graunches, no slackness, it’s absolutely perfectly smooth.

mrangry

Visit site
And I’m telling you how they are from new. The top swivel is sealed, too. How you’d go about rebuilding it without destroying it is a mystery.
Its like anything i suppose, if you know what you are doing. The bearings are held in place with circlips and there are oil seals. The seals are destroyed on removal

steveeasy

Visit site
Update.
Spoken with Profurl. The top swivel has a bush that protects the foil. The bearing sits on the bush. It should some resistance/ torque. The bush needs to be seated properly.
I think what happened last night was the halyard was not Uber tension. Due to the top swivel needing some tension applied to prevent Wrap, it became wrapped and hence why I could not pull the sail down.

I’ve used hot water and a little wd40 to ease the top bush. Sail on under tension and fuels and unfurls.
Now it’s a trial and error thing so I’ll see how it goes. If it sticks while sail is out told best to remove sheets and manually remove furls of sail to pull it down. Maybe!!.

Steveeasy
Edit
Bloody predict text

fredrussell

Visit site
It appears ours is the same as Steve’s. It feels like the seals are gripping it. I thought it would ease up in use, but so far not. Faulty… you might say that amount of stiffness is a fault. But like I say. No graunches, no slackness, it’s absolutely perfectly smooth.
Hmm, that’s interesting. Perhaps they free up a bit over time and a bit of resistance now is the price you pay for a long lived system that needs minimal servicing.

steveeasy

Visit site
Hmm, that’s interesting. Perhaps they free up a bit over time and a bit of resistance now is the price you pay for a long lived system that needs minimal servicing.

They did explain there should be some resistance and the bush is there to protect the foil. After applying tension to Hayward this morning all was fine.
Steveeasy

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I guess I’ll find out if the bearing ever wears out. Then, obviously, I’d get the seal out by any means, as there’s nothing to lose. But, if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

Refueler

Visit site
Update.
Spoken with Profurl. The top swivel has a bush that protects the foil. The bearing sits on the bush. It should some resistance/ torque. The bush needs to be seated properly.
I think what happened last night was the halyard was not Uber tension. Due to the top swivel needing some tension applied to prevent Wrap, it became wrapped and hence why I could not pull the sail down.

I’ve used hot water and a little wd40 to ease the top bush. Sail on under tension and fuels and unfurls.
Now it’s a trial and error thing so I’ll see how it goes. If it sticks while sail is out told best to remove sheets and manually remove furls of sail to pull it down. Maybe!!.

Steveeasy
Edit
Bloody predict text

Its a Profurl ?

mmm interesting as my Profurl 2000 I had some years ago - the furling line itself was the halyard ... the original halyard was redundant ...