Identifying my dinghy

Daydream believer

Visit site
Mmmmm. Could be the boat, or could be some other factor …………
Nothing wrong with the boat. They are fine little craft. Must be, or there would not have been so many built. . Certainly a lot more tippy than you suggest .
Have to say that I did not like it though. Too small. Just me & I had a Stella at the time, with no problems.

MikeBz

Visit site
Assuming that you have enough adjustment in the shrouds are forestay ...

I can't recall ever seeing a Mirror rigged that way. Perhaps there's a good reason for that.
There were 2 positions for the shrouds as well. The forestay was attached with a lashing so plenty of room for adjustment. At some point the rules were changed so the forward step and shroud points were no longer compulsory, boat’s since around that time don’t have them.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Nothing wrong with the boat. They are fine little craft. Must be, or there would not have been so many built. . Certainly a lot more tippy than you suggest .
Have to say that I did not like it though. Too small. Just me & I had a Stella at the time, with no problems.
Too small…. I’m guessing most boats are small for you🤣 The mirror is quite tight on average size adults, most people were smaller when it was designed. Your little adventure was probably caused by your inability to move around the boat. As a family we had no trouble.
And mirrors are small and slow, but don’t really feel slow, a bit like a dodgem car. The mast step thing, the forestay is laced with a lanyard, plenty of adjustment. OP, look after it carefully if it’s still good. One day fairly soon, a museum will need a good one.

oldbloke

Visit site
The tape on an old Mirror is unlikely to be epoxied on most likely the polyester resin supplied with the kit, after a decade or 3 it tends to lose its grip, especially on the inside seams. Sometimes you can bodge it but usually have to pull off yards of tape and renew.
2 things kill Mirrors, as already noted the horrid little rubber pads they used to use will easily punch a hole. Replace with a cradle, easily done with wood and carpet
The other is rot, you can't leave a Mirror to drain rainwater because of the stern tank, so if overwintering outside, turn it upside down.
ps, very stable, have to try hard to capsize it in anything less than a hurricane.

ashtead

Visit site
Should you be looking for more to do with your Mirror a copy of Mirror Mania opens up a whole new world of cruising ideas. A short centreboard for when you attach the outboard(a trusty seagull in days of yore) but any small 2hp outboard like a merc 3.3 hp to wiz around with. But you will see ideas of rigging a mizzen mat on mirror. I still am a Mirror owner but haven’t sailed her for years -waiting for the granddaughter to be older but I guess nowadays it’s all R/S plastic boats like Feavers etc.

dunedin

Visit site
Should you be looking for more to do with your Mirror a copy of Mirror Mania opens up a whole new world of cruising ideas. A short centreboard for when you attach the outboard(a trusty seagull in days of yore) but any small 2hp outboard like a merc 3.3 hp to wiz around with. But you will see ideas of rigging a mizzen mat on mirror. I still am a Mirror owner but haven’t sailed her for years -waiting for the granddaughter to be older but I guess nowadays it’s all R/S plastic boats like Feavers etc.
Mirrors are still actively raced - albeit now with Bermudan rig masts - Ben & Keira win the 2023 National Championships at Brightlingsea Sailing Club

More importantly, they are still a great boat for pottering around solo or with kids.

PeterV

Visit site
I suppose a Mirror could be described as tippy but surely only in comparison to a ballasted yacht. In comparison to nearly every other sailing dinghy it would be described as stable and difficult to capsize. I’ve known a lot of men and women who have taken to sailing and racing them when they’re too old and slow for higher performance dinghies.

Puffin10032

Visit site
I suppose a Mirror could be described as tippy but surely only in comparison to a ballasted yacht. In comparison to nearly every other sailing dinghy it would be described as stable and difficult to capsize. I’ve known a lot of men and women who have taken to sailing and racing them when they’re too old and slow for higher performance dinghies.

Agreed. But I'm sure you'll agree that there's a big difference between an experienced but ageing dinghy racer and an old man whose sole "knowledge" of boats is ogling t*ts and b*ms videos on YouTube.

moonxx

Visit site
So I can 90% think this is a mirror gaff dinghy see more pics. I have arranged level 1 week training at a rya approved then 2 and 3 mean time I need to carry out maintenance and renovation on my new project 1st clean up trailer bit of welding and bearing check. Also look at sorting supports to take a launching trailer.

Puffin10032

Visit site
Despite what the RYA, claim a level 2 certificate doesn't make you even a remotely competent sailor. You should rather see it as showing you the very basics. You should then join a club so that you can practice under the watchful eyes of the safety boat. I've never heard of anyone bothering with a level 3. It looks like a waste of time and money to me.

moonxx

Visit site
Hi Bought this mirror gaff dinghy from a farmer who said it was abandoned he didn't have any paperwork. No number on hull or builders name just sail numbers that tell me it's a 1972 built dinghy. Is there anyway of tracking previous owners.

moonxx

Visit site
Yep, a Mirror dinghy. Ae you sure the hull is fibreglass, as most older Mirrors are wooden hulls - and the later GRP ones had GRP decks as well.
Nice little boats, but be careful with trailer as hull is a little fragile and some trailers with rollers can punch through the hull. A custom cradle supporting the full width is best.
Yes I'm looking at that. Joiner to trade but multi trade. Have some fibre glass experience as well.

moonxx

Visit site
Appreciate your feedback and advice will look into mirror mania

moonxx

Visit site
Despite what the RYA, claim a level 2 certificate doesn't make you even a remotely competent sailor. You should rather see it as showing you the very basics. You should then join a club so that you can practice under the watchful eyes of the safety boat. I've never heard of anyone bothering with a level 3. It looks like a waste of time and money to me.
So I live in East Kilbride Glasgow.what would be your advice for an adult beginner. I thought I could just find somewhere to learn level 1 and 2 over a few weeks. But July August seems only youth training. really wanted to get this do before winter so next spring I could join a club and get out on the water and really learn. I guess it's like learning to drive once you've passed you can't really drive until you get more experience

moonxx

Visit site
Hi all I am new to sailing been out in red letter day sailing loved it but busy life has never let me keep going. I watch YouTube videos everyday couples sailing away all over the world. Now 64 but still fit have bought an old dinghy off a farmer were it has been abandoned for years. He doesn't have any details on it or what it is. It's definitely not a sloop fibreglass hull wooden deck with epoxy tape stitching. Round wooden mast with what looks like two positions for the mast squared bottom that fits into 18mm squared plywood bases approx a foot apart one boom I think and another piece approx same length but with two plywood triangles at one end. Can anyone help. Could it be a gaff cutter it 3m long and approx 4ft something wide. I have various sails in bags 1 definitely a job as it says it on the bag. A 2 stroke outboard and set of canoe orrs most of deck fittings are in a plastic box. Apart from that the hull is good and no rot on the deck. Any comments appreciated.
So update. I have an 1972 mirror dinghy gaff plywood with epoxy over the hull. Deck 5.5mm marine plywood with taped joints and the varnished. The transum has a number 37745 in the wood slightly routed out the name on back of the boat can't make sense see attached picture. I bought this as an abandoned dinghy from a farmer got bill of sale but no history. Can I find out if it is registered and if so how do I check this.

moonxx

Visit site
So update. I have an 1972 mirror dinghy gaff plywood with epoxy over the hull. Deck 5.5mm marine plywood with taped joints and the varnished. The transum has a number 37745 in the wood slightly routed out the name on back of the boat can't make sense see attached picture. I bought this as an abandoned dinghy from a farmer got bill of sale but no history. Can I find out if it is registered and if so how do I check this.

Attachments

• PXL_20240714_140457085.jpg
    PXL_20240714_140457085.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4
  • PXL_20240714_140517900.jpg
    PXL_20240714_140517900.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Tranona

Visit site
There is no register for such boats - or rather no need to register other than with class association if you want. The number is the sail number which gives you an idea how many were built! Suggest you join here ukmirrorsailing.com

ashtead

Visit site
What’s amazing is the number built - my first one from around 1976 so say 4 years approx post the one in picture was a 54k number . I think I have old paperwork from when bare hull was bought - I’m not certain epoxy over the hull does much for sailing abilities but I guess it’s kept alive. At some point someone has created blocks on the seat for inboard sheeting which isn’t standard for jib .

dunedin

Visit site
So I live in East Kilbride Glasgow.what would be your advice for an adult beginner. I thought I could just find somewhere to learn level 1 and 2 over a few weeks. But July August seems only youth training. really wanted to get this do before winter so next spring I could join a club and get out on the water and really learn. I guess it's like learning to drive once you've passed you can't really drive until you get more experience
Unlike the other poster, I think it is wi orth while doing your RYA Level 1 & 2 if a beginner. No it won’t make you an expert, but perfectly sufficient to start you sailing on somewhere like nearby Strathclyde Loch.
Not sure whether they still do adult training there - but a trip to Loch Ken, Port Edgar, etc won’t be too far from where you live.
Don’t set off sailing round Arran till you have a lot more experience - but plenty of Lochs and sheltered places to gain experience.
Enjoy.