Top batten on main

Upnorth

Visit site
The top batten on my mainsail is too stiff, and in light winds does not allow any shape to the sail. I have been advised to replace it with a less stiff batten. My query is should this be tapered? Or as it runs from luff to leach, should it be the same thickness over its full length. The existing one is not tapered.
Any thoughts anyone?
Mike

ps If it matters this is the mainsail on an X-332.

Ingwe

Visit site
Just a thought but I assume this is not on a new sail and is a full length top batten - when you first bought the sail was it alright? If so it may be that the sail has shrunk since you first bought it (all laminate sails shrink over time) and the batten is now effectively too long for the sail and is therefore pushing too tight in the pocket. We were having the same problem at the end of last season so when we put the main back on in a couple of weeks time I am going to shave a few mm off the top batten.

Upnorth

Visit site
Thanks for your reply Ingwe.
This is an old sail, and yes it is a full length top batten. I suspect it has never been ok, just needed an expert racer (not me) on board to notice it. The sail is not laminate. I tried adjusting the tension, which I assume is similar to making it slightly shorter, but this made no difference.
I am going to obtain another batten so I can keep the original for use in stronger winds. The decision to take is whether to source a tapered batten or not.

dunedin

Visit site
I don't know that particular boat, but generally I would think that the maximum camber at the top batten should be between 40% and 50% from the luff. Hence I would expect an un-tapered batten may be best. Too tapered and may have the curve too far forward.
However, why not email the folks at X-Yachts UK at Hamble - clearly it isn't a current X model, but a lot are still raced.
Or pick a sailmaker who does sails for this model and email them (preferably the one you are planning to buy the batten from) - not local but Saturn sails have done a few X sails I believe.

drakes drum

Visit site
If its an old sail and not a laminate, it will have lost shape so I wouldnt bother with an expensive new batten. Put the money towards a new laminate main. Doesnt matter how hard you train an old nag, it wont win the grand national.

Woodlouse

Visit site
Thanks for your reply Ingwe.
This is an old sail, and yes it is a full length top batten. I suspect it has never been ok, just needed an expert racer (not me) on board to notice it. The sail is not laminate. I tried adjusting the tension, which I assume is similar to making it slightly shorter, but this made no difference.
I am going to obtain another batten so I can keep the original for use in stronger winds. The decision to take is whether to source a tapered batten or not.
Have you tried tightening the batten? They have to be under compression to hold a curve otherwise they just want to lie flat. Basically it's the batten that is supposed to be introducing the curve to the sail, not the wind, just make sure it's not too tight else it might not want to pop over to the other side when tacking.

lw395

Visit site
I would try a softer un-tapered batten.
'Contract' batten is cheap in several profiles.
Also as above, try more tension.

richardbrennan

Visit site
I am not a racer, but when I got my new main (Dacron) from Kemps a year or so ago, it came with two top battens, one thinner than the other, to give a choice in lighter or heavier winds. Therefore I'd try a lighter batten first, it surely would not be that expensive.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk
Top batten should not be tapered.
Normally at the top batten you're looking for max camber at around 50% reducing to 40% as you go down.

To maximise the camber you need to increase the compression load on the batten.
If you go too tight the batten won't pop through on the next tack.

Clive

Visit site
Hi
I race a x-302 (baby sister of the X-332) and the top batten should not be tapered. All full length battens are untapered, Tapered battens are use where the batten only cross part of the sail. For the x-332 these are the lower battens.