The most normal piece of equipment you have forgotten?

pandos

Visit site
Fuel...realized as we left the harbour when the engine chugged...(some drink had been had the night before
...lesson learned) the reverse ...leaving keys and wallet on boat having rowde down tide for 40 minutes in the dark...(practice makes perfect)

Tradewinds

www.laurelberrystudio.com
I forgot the mainsail a couple of times. Windless days, motored back to the berth, plugged the power cable, filled the tanks, general tidying up, beer, then all of a sudden realized the mainsail was still up.
I remember booking in with customs at Chaguaramus, Trinidad with my family many, many years ago. Usual questions - "any firearms onboard etc" - I casually glanced out of the window at Rose on the custom dock. Full mainsail still out.

Quelle plonker Rodney.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Rudder pins, back when I had a beach cat. # hours from home, I went to the hardware store and got some rod.

Now days?
  • Leaving my cell phone on the boat (1 hour away). I've made the round trip for that too many times.
  • Change of clothes in case I get wet. I try to keep something on the boat.
  • Rain gear for guests. I have some stuff on the boat that usually works.
  • Certain key power tools. I like sailing in double digits too much to weight the boat down with things I "might" need.

Alfie168

Visit site
My brain. I forget that all too often??

On the subject of keys I changed the hatch padlock for a combination lock recently after having to saw through its keyed predecessor on a late night wet arrival as it had seized and the key wouldn't work. I may yet repeat the exercise for the two cockpit lockers. Getting replacement keys for a lost set was not as simple as it should have been.

Last edited:

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
Not boating related, but I forgot my cycling shoes once after driving 2hrs to the start of a bike race. Ended up spectating in my socks...
Why did you need cycling shoes to spectate? Or do you just go to the event in the the licra & kit with " team sky" written all over it, to flash the hairy legs, but do not have a bike. :D
I was there to take part, having no shoes meant I couldn't so I spectated instead. I was there anyway - with bike & all kit except for shoes....
Do you often drive without shoes? :unsure:
I don't drive in my cycling shoes.

Nor do I drive in my sailing boots.

The right tool for the job & all that....clipless pedals

I think what he's getting at is wondering why (as I am too, now this saga has gone on so long!:D) you had to spectate in your socks, rather than wearing the (non-cycling) shoes you wore to drive there.