Thames passage

tarik

Visit site
Evening all.

SWMBO has decided she would like to go up the Thames later in the summer. I don't want to have to take my masts down, how far can I get before I have to turn round?

Best wishes to all

David

sailorman

Visit site
Evening all.

SWMBO has decided she would like to go up the Thames later in the summer. I don't want to have to take my masts down, how far can I get before I have to turn round?

Best wishes to all

David

Tr Bridge unless you request ( in advance ) to have it open.
Limehouse basin is good,close to the DLR & 1/2 price of St Katts

Cantata

Visit site
As Roger says, Tower Bridge is your limit unless you ask them nicely to let you through in advance. But you'd only have to come straight back out through it again anyway, as London Bridge will stop you getting any further.
Wherever you plan to head for on the Thames, you must book a marina berth in advance, or you almost certainly won't find anywhere to stay especially in summer.
It's all covered pretty comprehensively in a good pilot book if you need to learn the details (which perhaps you do!)

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site
As Roger says, Tower Bridge is your limit unless you ask them nicely to let you through in advance. But you'd only have to come straight back out through it again anyway, as London Bridge will stop you getting any further.
Wherever you plan to head for on the Thames, you must book a marina berth in advance, or you almost certainly won't find anywhere to stay especially in summer.
It's all covered pretty comprehensively in a good pilot book if you need to learn the details (which perhaps you do!)

also @ HW it gets very very choppy due the wash refracting off of the sea walls

PeterGibbs

Visit site
QUOTE]

Besides, truth to tell the river is difficult beyond the Tower especially at springs. Lots of water swirling around the bridge piers and shallows all over the place.

For a nice comfortable visit, take the Limehouse route, as suggested; Jeremy will help you in through the very easy lock (phone ahead) Take SWIMBO to the Gordon Ramsay pub over the bridge for very good F & C. Then hitch a ride on the DLR to town on a day ticket to see the sights. You'll see so much more this way. Really!

PWG

sailorman

Visit site
QUOTE]

Besides, truth to tell the river is difficult beyond the Tower especially at springs. Lots of water swirling around the bridge piers and shallows all over the place.

For a nice comfortable visit, take the Limehouse route, as suggested; Jeremy will help you in through the very easy lock (phone ahead) Take SWIMBO to the Gordon Ramsay pub over the bridge for very good F & C. Then hitch a ride on the DLR to town on a day ticket to see the sights. You'll see so much more this way. Really!

PWG

Suggest The Grapes for superb Timothy Taylors + very good food

LeonF

Visit site
Limehouse Basin are very good , and if it's very choppy will advise you not to tie up on the pontoon outside, but to circle until they open the lock and bridge and go straight in. Cheaper but not as atmospheric as St Katherine Dock, and if it's a once in a blue moon visit I would prefer the latter.

Ramsays joint has had some problems, and the last time I went there, they do a good Sunday roast, it had lost some of it's edge, and the 30 bottle of wine (not my choice !!) was nothing special.
If you are a foodie, then go to St Kath and book via the Top Table website to try and get a deal at the one of the restaurants on the other side of the river in Butlers Wharf. Pont de La Tour, sit outside and have a great view of Tower Bridge, or slightly cheaper, Cantina del Ponte... The leg from Queenborough into London can be a slog, and you could break it up by stopping at Gravesend, there might be a spare buoy at the sailing club, or space on the new town pier but I'm not sure if that will be in place by this summer. Otherwise there are usually spare moorings further upriver under the QE2 bridge at Erith Yacht Club. Do, it's great fun and London looks very different from the river.

oldmonsty

Visit site
Another vote for the Grapes, Ramsey's has seriously lost its 'edge' even if it had one in the first place. This latter is a comment from a friend who is a resident not a visitor.

tarik

Visit site
Thames - Thanks

Many thanks to you all who have responded. It looks like we'll only get as far as Tower Bridge, no problem it will be good fun and a test for the engine. SWMBO is already planning her shopping expedition. I'll just stay at the bar and soften the blow when it comes !!!

Regards

David

sailorman

Visit site
Many thanks to you all who have responded. It looks like we'll only get as far as Tower Bridge, no problem it will be good fun and a test for the engine. SWMBO is already planning her shopping expedition. I'll just stay at the bar and soften the blow when it comes !!!

Regards

David

make sure your in "The Bunch of Grapes " then ;)

PetiteFleur

Visit site
Regards
David

We've done the trip several times. We start from Queenborough, leaving 1 to 1½Hrs before LW, taking the tide out of the Medway and you'll have the tide all the way to Tower Bridge. You effectively get 8hrs of tide up the Thames. We've always arrived a couple of hours before HW Tower Bridge. Best time is during the week as it's quieter.

Conachair

Visit site

Regards

David

I'm in St Kats and love it round here. Short term berths may be a bit pricey but it's so central. Showers are fine, you get your own little room, free washing machine & drier. Waitrose very close by. Walk to Borough market on saturdays, or Brick lane to stock up on spices. Check out tower bridge etc etc. Day ticket for the clipper river boats is about 12 quid something I think, much nicer way to get about than the tube.

Modulation

Visit site
Another vote for St Kats. Spent the last four winters there and liked it a lot. The showers are finished now and MUCH better than anywhere else we've been. And you have an infinite choice of places to eat drink or do whatever, all within easy access, not just one signature restaurant.
Only point to note is don't ever be tempted to tie up to the pier - even on the inside. It is nearly always choppy as you'll arrive around high water when the wash from other craft bounces straight back from the river walls. Pick up a buoy or easier still motor around in circles.
You'll enjoy it!!