Ex North Sea Trawler mooring issues

Saint Michael

Visit site
We own an ex 750 ton North Sea trawler moored at Tideway Dock Vauxhall. She is now a houseboat with three flats. Her mooring in the dock is to two piles installed several years ago.
In the last couple of months as the tide has receded she is left tilted at an angle which is causing those who live there great consternation. Fridge doors open, boilers go out etc not to mention the difficulty of walking around.
We have made many adjustments to ropes and chains and fenders which resolves the issue for one tide and then after another tide the problem reasserts itself.
We are not sure if the problem is caused by something caught under the keel, or the change in moorings of other boats around us, or a change in the Thames tides.
Is there anyone out there with knowledge and experience who can advise us how we might resolve this problem. Or can put us in touch with someone who can give practical help.
This is now becoming urgent and want to resolve it for the safety, security and happiness of our tenants.

Attachments

• 330790e2-5780-4541-8f9b-72777398e5e3.jpeg
    330790e2-5780-4541-8f9b-72777398e5e3.jpeg
    940.6 KB · Views: 89

Chris_d

Visit site
I'm no expert but that always going to be a problem with a drying mooring, the mud will shift and erode due to rain and current and all sorts of debris will drift in and out under the hull and cause it to tilt. I suspect the only permanent solution is to have a level drying out platform built underneath the hull but that will be expensive.

Boathook

Visit site
Does she float level?
Has water got into a compartment in the starboard side?
Would normally expect a boat to settle level on a seabed like that.
Is there any debris under the hull.

KevinV

Visit site
There's a ruddy great baulk of timber visible under the stern in the photo. From the state of the rest of the riverbed visible there's no doubt all sorts under there 🤷‍♂️
As a diy'er I'd start by attaching a rope to the crap at low water and hauling it out from under the boat when it's afloat. It looks like the hull has created its own hole in the mud - it wouldn't take much in that hole to heel the boat over a bit.

Chris_d

Visit site
If you look closely at the photo there is shale and gravel on the left side of the hull which is relatively stable, but on the right side of the hull there is soft mud and a flowing water course that has formed a trench, the hull is being undermined by the flowing water and falling into the trench.

oldgit

Visit site
From observations of other similar residential boats moored against river walls wall upstream from you and with sloping river bed.
Some appear to have placed a level layer or bed of "stuff" ....looks from distance like a layer of sandbags/ ballast or concrete , on top of the river bed and the vessels actually sit on that at LW. ?

Saint Michael

Visit site
I'm no expert but that always going to be a problem with a drying mooring, the mud will shift and erode due to rain and current and all sorts of debris will drift in and out under the hull and cause it to tilt. I suspect the only permanent solution is to have a level drying out platform built underneath the hull but that will be expensive.
Indeed if the option is too expensive we couldn't afford sucha thing. She's been fine for years ao hopefully not necessary.

Saint Michael

Visit site
Does she float level?
Has water got into a compartment in the starboard side?
Would normally expect a boat to settle level on a seabed like that.
Yes she floats level. We suspect that there may be something trapped underneath that shifts with the tides.

Saint Michael

Visit site
There's a ruddy great baulk of timber visible under the stern in the photo. From the state of the rest of the riverbed visible there's no doubt all sorts under there 🤷‍♂️
As a diy'er I'd start by attaching a rope to the crap at low water and hauling it out from under the boat when it's afloat. It looks like the hull has created its own hole in the mud - it wouldn't take much in that hole to heel the boat over a bit.
Thanks for this. Yes we are planning to try and remove as much detritus as we can from around the boat at low tide soon with a team. The great baulk of timber you can see hasn't moved in years. I think it is iron wood.