Advice about Saint Alban's head passage tomorrow

Boathook

Visit site
For the OP the destination really depends upon the weather. I've done Studland to Falmouth before and then Studland to Weymouth and other ports west over the years.
When on two weeks holiday I would push west for just under a week and then have a more relaxing trip home, hopefully.

steveeasy

Visit site
yes keep the thread running. Very interesting follow a topic like this and I should be coming in the opposite direction, so keen to follow your trip to North wales?.
Steveeasy

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
If you're staying in the marina in Portland, I'd say there's negligible distance between there and Weymouth.
My chart says you’re wrong. Even as the crow flies it’s shorter, and it’s hardly a straight line out of Weymouth. Then theres the speed restriction, plus in Portland you can get under sail in sheltered water. Portland every time for me.

Habebty

Visit site
I found Weymouth more expensive than Portland. Rafted 4 out in the cove with no shorepower and a bloody long walk to the showers/bogs. Will always use Portland over Weymouth when heading west

MoodyChris

Visit site
Hi again,

My crew has now left and I'm being joined by my wife tomorrow, but she has no practical experience of sailing (a few runs out to Puffin Island from Conwy), I then have to leave the boat for at least a week as of Saturday because of "real life" things encroaching.

As a Boatfolk member I can get some time free in either Weymouth or Portland, but we are going to have to get back to Poole to pick up the car after leaving the boat in Weymouth/Portland and I'm figuring Weymouth will be easier for this. I haven't checked tides etc. for Friday so doing that this evening.

After that, I may be joined by my brother on resuming the journery after the 20th and we are intending to go something like Weymouth(or Portland but I thought we can only use the North channel here meaning a big doubling back?) to Dartmouth or Brixham.

Next leg Dartmouth to Fowey then

Fowey to Penzance (?)

Penzance to St Ives or Newquay

St Ives/Newquay to Milford Haven

Then work way around inshore passage of Cardigan bay to Pwllheli

Then round Barsdsey probably have to anchor to wait for Caernarfon bar

Then up the straits to "home", Conwy.

Any and all comments very, very appreciated and I'm now more nervous about Saint Alban's head as the sea was really quite something when we turned aside to Pool yesterday!

Ps/ I didn't realise there had been other replies as I would have returned earlier to answer some!

SaltyC

Visit site
Fowey to Penzance is a long haul, tired for the next leg? Break at Falmouth?
I personally prefer Newlyn to Penzance, from there 20 hours to Milford Have (Dale). St Ives a rolly anchorage.

My next stop was Holyhead (another 20 hours) Pwythelli is a major diversion.

Anchorages available depending on wind direction, Bardsey island and Porth Dinnlean?

MoodyChris

Visit site
Fowey to Penzance is a long haul, tired for the next leg? Break at Falmouth?
I personally prefer Newlyn to Penzance, from there 20 hours to Milford Have (Dale). St Ives a rolly anchorage.

My next stop was Holyhead (another 20 hours) Pwythelli is a major diversion.

Anchorages available depending on wind direction, Bardsey island and Porth Dinnlean?
I would like to call into Falmouth so I think you've made my mind up anyway!

The Wales section is going to depend on crew availability and I also want to call into Pwllheli as thinking of moving to there from Conwy shortly. Good idea to anchor before Bardsey though. There's no point in my going via Holyhead - apart from anything else, I'm very familiar with the straits/Caernarforn etc so I know I can easily do all of that single handed if need be.

MoodyChris

Visit site
My chart says I'm right 😁
I like Portland on a nice sunny day but with the weather at the moment I find it a bit bleak.

I thought this was the case - the notes for Portland say something along the lines of if the harbour are in a good mood and there's no traffic, they might let you use the other channels, but otherwise it's the North Channel which cancels the benefit of being closer to the outward track.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I would like to call into Falmouth so I think you've made my mind up anyway!

The Wales section is going to depend on crew availability and I also want to call into Pwllheli as thinking of moving to there from Conwy shortly. Good idea to anchor before Bardsey though. There's no point in my going via Holyhead - apart from anything else, I'm very familiar with the straits/Caernarforn etc so I know I can easily do all of that single handed if need be.
You must visit The Chain Locker, other pubs are available.

FairweatherDave

Visit site
I can understand the appeal of Portland, no waiting for the bridge , whereas if you have gone up to the marina at Weymouth you have to take that into account. But I really enjoyed Weymouth, real buzz on the water and great fish and chips and beer. And a very handy train station for the crew....

Chris CJ

Visit site
Portland , you can always call up Portland Harbour Radio on CH 74 for permission to exit the East Ships channel , it certainly saves time when travelling west . I normally leave Portland about 2 hours before high water Dover arriving at the Bill about an hour later just as the tide starts flowing west taking the inshore passage close to pulpit rock ,avoids the race , then with the tide is with crossing Lyme Bay usually to Dartmouth , but have stopped at Brixham , Teignmouth and Salcombe as well.

Ps watch out for pot markers rounding the east side of Portland particularly those just below the water , can been seen with arrowhead water flows

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Portland , you can always call up Portland Harbour Radio on CH 74 for permission to exit the East Ships channel , it certainly saves time when travelling west . I normally leave Portland about 2 hours before high water Dover arriving at the Bill about an hour later just as the tide starts flowing west taking the inshore passage close to pulpit rock ,avoids the race , then with the tide is with crossing Lyme Bay usually to Dartmouth , but have stopped at Brixham , Teignmouth and Salcombe as well.

Ps watch out for pot markers rounding the east side of Portland particularly those just below the water , can been seen with arrowhead water flows
That’s always my plan too. The inshore passage is quite dramatic and exciting, though we’ve often had to motor due to an absence of wind. Just once been through in a fairly brisk northerly, now that was fun.

doug748

Visit site
Hi again,

My crew has now left and I'm being joined by my wife tomorrow, but she has no practical experience of sailing (a few runs out to Puffin Island from Conwy), I then have to leave the boat for at least a week as of Saturday because of "real life" things encroaching.

As a Boatfolk member I can get some time free in either Weymouth or Portland, but we are going to have to get back to Poole to pick up the car after leaving the boat in Weymouth/Portland and I'm figuring Weymouth will be easier for this. I haven't checked tides etc. for Friday so doing that this evening.

After that, I may be joined by my brother on resuming the journery after the 20th and we are intending to go something like Weymouth(or Portland but I thought we can only use the North channel here meaning a big doubling back?) to Dartmouth or Brixham.

Next leg Dartmouth to Fowey then

Fowey to Penzance (?)

Penzance to St Ives or Newquay

St Ives/Newquay to Milford Haven

Then work way around inshore passage of Cardigan bay to Pwllheli

Then round Barsdsey probably have to anchor to wait for Caernarfon bar

Then up the straits to "home", Conwy.

Any and all comments very, very appreciated and I'm now more nervous about Saint Alban's head as the sea was really quite something when we turned aside to Pool yesterday!

Ps/ I didn't realise there had been other replies as I would have returned earlier to answer some!

I would suggest you stay where you are and contemplate Dartmouth/Brixham in one hit when you get back. Hopefully the weather will be more settled and you have an experienced crew; I can't see Weymouth/Portland as anything but an inconvenient dead end. Different if it was a pleasure trip.

I would never plan for St Ives or Newquay on a delivery, very high chance of it being uncomfortable or even a dangerous hostage to fortune. Padstow would be good, if you time it to lock in there, you are 100% sorted to plan your next move.

Mudisox

Visit site
Portland has buses to Weymouth, and another back to Poole [?X53. ] for car collection. Always ask and are given permission to use SE entrance. Lidl now at Portland within easy walking distance. I always use the inshore passage and rarely have more than 1 awkward wave. it can be used in any state of the tide E or W going with 4 knots of engine/sails.
Do not discount using Lyme to break the journey across, with family or own short attention span. Buoys or wobbly plastic pontoon outside in lee of the Cobb.

MoodyChris

Visit site
I would suggest you stay where you are and contemplate Dartmouth/Brixham in one hit when you get back. Hopefully the weather will be more settled and you have an experienced crew; I can't see Weymouth/Portland as anything but an inconvenient dead end. Different if it was a pleasure trip.

I would never plan for St Ives or Newquay on a delivery, very high chance of it being uncomfortable or even a dangerous hostage to fortune. Padstow would be good, if you time it to lock in there, you are 100% sorted to plan your next move.

Thank you so much for this comment. I was just thinking to myself, returning to the boat from showering this morning, am I letting pride (and maybe money) get in the way of a probably obvious decision?

I am for all intents and purposes looking at the leg to Weymouth as solo (edit: I think I'm going for Portland anyway after several comments about East entrance) and I'm worried the seas will still be significant after over a week of Southerley storms.

It looks like best case means it's costing me 2 hours to go via Weymouth. I think unless the Friday forecast comes down from a 5 to a 4 I will stick here.

Thanks for the advice re: Cornwall too.

Last edited:

MoodyChris

Visit site
Hi all,

Quick update: my brother came over from Ireland to crew for the day and we took the boat from Poole to Portland marina.

We had further problems with the furling main but overall a lovely day's sailing.

I have to leave the boat here for a week now and next up is the passage to Dartmouth :)

ashtead

Visit site
If heading for Dartmouth maybe speak to marina in advance if going there to gain views on berthing times based on tidal flow- my recollection is at kingswear at least there are preferred times due to tidal flow. It might not be an issue at say Noss though or you plan on a buoy etc.
The other thought would be fuel up if needed before departure if tank low maybe. The customer service for fuel at Dartmouth is somewhat poor.