Taylor’s Heater Installation

Dysan

Visit site
You have probably already worked out a lighting process but I use one of these 250ml & 500ml Wash Bottle Lab Plastic Squeeze Tattoo Cleaning Clean Washing New | eBay to insert the meths. i have graduated the bottle with a pen showing just how much is needed for each two minute burn time.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk
I was using a 5m syringe and got a little squeezy bottle just recently but I do struggle a little bit with it. Takes me about 3 time to get it lit and away. It’s more getting the meths to stay lit long enough to put the cap back on the front.

Plum

Visit site
I was using a 5m syringe and got a little squeezy bottle just recently but I do struggle a little bit with it. Takes me about 3 time to get it lit and away. It’s more getting the meths to stay lit long enough to put the cap back on the front.
It should not take 3 attempts. Put 20cc of meths in, light it using a pipe cleaner with a few drips of meths on the end, wait 30 seconds, screw the cap onto the lighting hole, wait 2 minutes (maybe 3, but 2 always works for me, then turn on the diesel.

www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Blueboatman

Visit site
If this helps , I syringe 20cc ish and poke the gas bbq ( long nose) lighter into the hole , then pretty much immediately I hear the ( quite loud) whistling and resonating metallic moan (?) as the flames start to draw , up the flue .
Get that brass cap on sharpish and wait till the flame dies to a gentle candle size then ease open the diesel drip . Et voilà
Takes a bit longer than it does to write this blurb but not too much longer ...
Did you take it all apart and wash out any old heaped up sooty deposits on the spiral innards ? If The Draw is good, away she should go fairly quickly ..

Dysan

Visit site
Ok, despite it being May it’s had a fair bit of use now but there are still teething troubles.

I’ve the lighting sorted now and thankfully I’ve got the SU pump on now so no wanting to jump overboard to save your ears. It works bl00dy great, decent heat and nice to have on at night to see the flames flickering, like being at home with the fire but not.

Anyway, new problem. What did you all use to seal the deck fitting? I got some high temp sealant from B&Q and whilst the temp doesn’t seem a problem the being a sealant does.

Most boat stuff only seems to go up to 150c

Thanks

KAM

Visit site
Ok, despite it being May it’s had a fair bit of use now but there are still teething troubles.

I’ve the lighting sorted now and thankfully I’ve got the SU pump on now so no wanting to jump overboard to save your ears. It works bl00dy great, decent heat and nice to have on at night to see the flames flickering, like being at home with the fire but not.

Anyway, new problem. What did you all use to seal the deck fitting? I got some high temp sealant from B&Q and whilst the temp doesn’t seem a problem the being a sealant does.

Thanks

I used ordinary Sikaflex. It's been on 12 years now without any signs of deterioration. I don't usually bother putting the cowl on its just the flanged tube sticking out of the deck. I've never checked the temperature. Sealant is on the outside only. I made sure there was air clearance on the inside moulded headlining and made up a heat deflecting decorative cover plate again with an air gap of about 5 mm.

Plum

Visit site

Thanks
I too used sikaflex with no problems at all. In theory water can be put in the well of the deck fitting to keep it cooler but I have never bothered.

Blueboatman

Visit site
Perhaps fit the flange to an upstand of grp/wood /something bonded to the deck then you have a heat sink and no joint at deck level .
( I had to do this because of the inherent camber )
I have never filled the ‘ moat ’ with water either

Dysan

Visit site
I used ordinary Sikaflex. It's been on 12 years now without any signs of deterioration. I don't usually bother putting the cowl on its just the flanged tube sticking out of the deck. I've never checked the temperature. Sealant is on the outside only. I made sure there was air clearance on the inside moulded headlining and made up a heat deflecting decorative cover plate again with an air gap of about 5 mm.
Thanks I looked at Sikaflex as I have a tube but it didn’t a temp range so I thought I’d see what others had done.

Dysan

Visit site
Perhaps fit the flange to an upstand of grp/wood /something bonded to the deck then you have a heat sink and no joint at deck level .
( I had to do this because of the inherent camber )
I have never filled the ‘ moat ’ with water either
Given the weather, I reckon mine will be full!