Suez blocked.

Bajansailor

Visit site
What I don't get about that little gem and so many like it is why do it? What's the benefit, and to whom?

The benefit is to the many folk like Adrian, who believe it implicitly, and think it is absolutely true and helps their cause - they are the dedicated QAnon types (who are all totally barking mad).

rogerthebodger

Visit site
Its human nature people with an agenda will always pickup on any news ,fake or true , that the think will confirm their preconceived idas.

Its called confirmation bias.

Last edited by a moderator:

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It should be, but I think instead it is called confirmation bias...

Yes finger trouble, you can be into serious trouble when you put your fingers in the wrong place.

I like a certain female singer and I like it even more whenever I hear her sing. Is that called Joan Bias? (y)

I recall Joan Bias is spelt Joan Biaz and it still alive and kicking of 80.

Stork_III

Visit site
Yes finger trouble, you can be into serious trouble when you put your fingers in the wrong place.

I recall Joan Bias is spelt Joan Biaz and it still alive and kicking of 80.

Baez? Still looking good at 80.

147330065_10158975598974417_3377405202637368731_n.jpg

westhinder

Visit site
The benefit is to the many folk like Adrian, who believe it implicitly, and think it is absolutely true and helps their cause - they are the dedicated QAnon types (who are all totally barking mad).
Barking mad, maybe. Or utterly cynical and fully aware of the fact that unstable minds will go along with it. Destabilising society is the ultimate goal, and judging by the last couple of years, they are pretty successful, alas.

Concerto

Visit site
I see Ever Given is still anchored in the Suez Canal. Any idea if the survey of the hull has been completed and if any damage has been found. Also how long might remain here. I do pity all the owners of the goods in containers still aboard as they must be suffering with their stock not being delivered.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I see Ever Given is still anchored in the Suez Canal. Any idea if the survey of the hull has been completed and if any damage has been found. Also how long might remain here. I do pity all the owners of the goods in containers still aboard as they must be suffering with their stock not being delivered.

I suspect this may have more to do with the Egyptian Government’s stated wish to receive one billion dollars than with hull damage.

Bajansailor

Visit site
I suspect this may have more to do with the Egyptian Government’s stated wish to receive one billion dollars than with hull damage.

Sounds like they are basically now holding the Ever Given as a hostage to try to get their ransom paid.
Is there any legal precedent for this?
I am thinking of an analogy like if I have a car crash on the M 3, and I cause the motorway to be closed, and many other vehicles delayed, they are not all going to try to sue me?

Charlie Boy

Visit site

I can’t imagine that the Ever Given, even with her cargo is worth remotely near a billion. The insurers are probably happier to let it rot there while the Evergreen line send all their other boats the long way round

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
I suppose they have a justifiable claim for lost revenue on ships that rerouted and works and damages to the canal all of which will amount to a tidy sum.
Presumably Evergreen will have a claim against their insurers for lost revenues if the detention of the ship is down to the insurers holding things up.

newtothis

Visit site
I can’t imagine that the Ever Given, even with her cargo is worth remotely near a billion. The insurers are probably happier to let it rot there while the Evergreen line send all their other boats the long way round
You'd be surprised... the mean value of the contents of headhaul containers is $40,000 per teu. That was a fully laden 20,000 teu boxship, so say 9,000 40 ft containers.
9,000 x $40,000 x 2 = $720m. That's quite a lot to right off, esp when there are fairly well-recognised arbitration routes that will reduce the SCA's claims down to something a little more realistic.
Evergreen can't just send its ships the long way around. Not only is there the huge cost in time/fuel costs, but it is part of an alliance of shared services that plan their network deployments jointly.
Container shipping is based on regular scheduled 'bus' services, not the pick-up -a-cargo-and-take-it-somewhere 'taxi' services that dry and wet bulk ships tend to do.