Suez blocked.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Be thankful IKEA hasn't got into shipbuilding....

British Shipbuilders were bad enough!

This ocean greyhound, a 1984 production, had one of the holding down bolts on her Clark Kincaid B&W in the form of a “thief” or “devil” * and the settling and service tanks were common, because - and I kid you not, Gentlemen! - the bulkhead between them was held in place with welding rods.

Her accommodation had all the charm and comfort of a British Rail waiting room of the day.

*This is a “devil”. The picture comes from Samuel Plimsoll, MP’s book “Our Seamen - An Appeal”, published in 1870 or so.

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
For all you big kids who are missing the fun of the new Suez Crisis.

Cargo Cruise dot to dot printable worksheet - Connect The Dots
sAPXDn7.png

newtothis

Visit site
A well known military man, General Average, has just put in an appearance. We have been expecting him.
I spoke to some shippers this week, who are really shipping it at the prospect of his appearance. Not least now the SCA says the baksheesh rate has gone up by about $1bn.

Kukri

Visit site
I spoke to some shippers this week, who are really shipping it at the prospect of his appearance. Not least now the SCA says the baksheesh rate has gone up by about $1bn.

I always tell them to blame Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Article IX of the Rôles of Oleron, 1192:

If it happen, that by reason of much foul weather the master is like to be constrained to cut his masts... [or] cut their mooring cables, leaving behind them their cables and anchors to save the ship and her lading; all which things are reckoned and computed livre by livre, as the goods are that were cast overboard. And when the vessel arrives in safety at her port of discharge, the merchants ought to pay the master their shares or proportions without delay...."

Last edited:

penfold

Visit site
British Shipbuilders were bad enough!

This ocean greyhound, a 1984 production, had one of the holding down bolts on her Clark Kincaid B&W in the form of a “thief” or “devil” * and the settling and service tanks were common, because - and I kid you not, Gentlemen! - the bulkhead between them was held in place with welding rods.

Her accommodation had all the charm and comfort of a British Rail waiting room of the day.
The latter is down to whoever placed the order, the rubbish QC down to the yard, although the owner ultimately bears the choice of whether to have a surveyor present so gets some blame too. Much like the oft maligned chinese we are capable of building good ships as well as bad ships, just that those building them too often made bad choices. That said nearly 30 years old when broken up is not bad going for a bulker, they tend to lead short lives.

Last edited:

newtothis

Visit site
I always tell them to blame Eleanor of Aquitaine.

Article IX of the Rôles of Oleron, 1192:

If it happen, that by reason of much foul weather the master is like to be constrained to cut his masts... [or] cut their mooring cables, leaving behind them their cables and anchors to save the ship and her lading; all which things are reckoned and computed livre by livre, as the goods are that were cast overboard. And when the vessel arrives in safety at her port of discharge, the merchants ought to pay the master their shares or proportions without delay...."
I can't go quite so ancient, but do know that flags of convenience open registries were established by the Treaty of Versailles.

Kukri

Visit site
I can't go quite so ancient, but do know that flags of convenience open registries were established by the Treaty of Versailles.

We can blame Prohibition for making
flags of convenience open registries popular. American ships, losing their passengers to the British/French/Swedes/Dutch/Italians who all plied them with drink, were re-registered in Panama.

Kukri

Visit site
@westhinder :

Where that Picasso in Post 504 came from:

F4C2451C-06BD-49CF-BC02-E2D4EE6FD593.png
In the 1963 Wyt's Digest, in the chapter "Dutch towage and salvage in 1962,":

On behalf of N.V. Scheepvaart Maatschappij G. Doeksen en Zonen, Volkert Doeksen writes:

“On April 26, we received the following distress signal from the Greek tanker “Kissavos”: “due collision 53 ̊ 56’ north 3 ̊ 20 ’east immediate assistance will leave the ship please assistance ship on fire”.

The services offered by us were accepted on the basis of Lloyd's Open Form. The captain of the “Kissavos” informed us that the other ship involved in the collision was an Onassis tanker, which probably was also on fire. However, due to the dense fog, he could not see the ship and he could not get radio contact. For this reason the worst was feared for this ship. We prepared our salvage and fire extinguishing equipment for immediate use. Using a direction finder and radio soundings, it was determined that the collision had taken place about 20 miles to the south of the position given indicated in the distress signal.

The Captain of the “Kissavos” had now let us know that the fire on his ship had been subdued and that he no longer needed our assistance.

In the meantime we found out that the other ship was the Liberian tanker “Olympic Thunder”. She had severe damage to port and a fierce fire raged amidships.

The crew had already left the ship and had been picked up by the Dutch ship “ Pietertje Marie”. As soon as our tugboat “Holland” was alongside the Olympic Thunder (according to file
approx. 10.30 am) we started to fight the fire. There was a great danger of explosions, but the captain and some of the crew went aboard the burning ship. In collaboration with N.V. Bureau Wijsmuller and Bugsier from Hamburg, this difficult salvage was carried out on the basis of Lloyd's Open Form under the direction of Mr. J. Doeksen. After the fire was under control, the tugs Holland, Dogger Bank, Titan and Simson towed the Olympic Thunder to Rotterdam, while the tugs Wotan and Nestor stayed alongside to extinguish the fire if necessary. The tugboat Friesland stayed nearby. The heavily damaged ship arrived in Rotterdam on 27 April at 11 pm.”

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
This article is a real doozy! Is the date simply coincidental? Perhaps......:D
Trafficked Children, Bodies, Weapons Found on Evergreen Ship Blocking Suez Canal | Politics | Before It's News

Here is an excerpt -
--------------------------
Over a thousand trafficked children and dead bodies have been rescued out of shipping containers in the Suez Canal by US Navy Seals. Sources say that as of this writing, children were still being rescued and bodies discovered in Evergreen’s 18,000+ containers. The containers were on an Evergreen Corporation ship that blocked the Canal from Tues. 23 March to Mon 29 March, causing billions in lost revenue to shipping companies internationally.

The Seals also found Weapons of Mass Destruction on the six story high vessel – which were believed destined to start a war in the Middle East.
----------------------------
Click on the link for the rest - it gets even better! :D

And where did I see this posted?
On my (former - he blocked me for correcting his lies) FB friend Adrian's wall.
I am sure that he believes this implicitly.
Oh, and yes, he is a die hard Trump supporter..... :D
Adrian M Goddard

Last edited: