Suez blocked.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
Smit used to make films of their big wreck removals. I remember one on the “London Valour” (very sad case) and one showing their first use of expanded polystyrene granules rather than compressed air and one on the “Betelgeuse” - a case where I think a manslaughter charge might have been brought against a certain French oil company - she exploded because her ballast tanks were so corroded that she snapped in two in the course of discharging her cargo at Bantry Bay.

Last edited:

westhinder

Visit site
Alternatively one can get a Dutch version (I think this is the same book?) for US$17.68 (and free shipping within the USA).
Hollands Glorie: 9789058976888: Amazon.com: Books
That is something totally different, a nostalgic book about typically Dutch products of the past. Think mopeds to sweets, via the design of adverts and posters. Probably good fun for those interested in that sort of thing ?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Smit used to make films of their big wreck removals. I remember one on the “London Valour” (very sad case) and one showing their first use of expanded polystyrene granules rather than compressed air ...
Strange but true: the inventor of that technique was denied a patent because refloating a wreck with ping-pong balls had appeared in a Disney cartoon (printed) fifteen years earlier.
Donald-Duck-Sunken-Yacht.jpg

Kukri

Visit site
This is another cracking good YouTube salvage video: Ulrich Harms bringing the SS Great Britain back from the Falklands.

Thanks for that too! I knew Euan Corlett, he was the most notable consultant naval architect of the age, with a big practice as an expert witness. I also had some dealings with Ulrich Harms and Rizdon Beasley. Harms bought out Beasley and then in turn sold to Smit. They were a pair of highly entrepreneurial and courageous characters, it might be said of each of them that they certainly had guts.

Thistle

Visit site
Back on topic ...
I see that Ever Given is still in the Great Bitter Lake. Any news on what's going on / how long she's likely to be there?

Kukri

Visit site
That is a terrific find!

Well done!

Here is the “Elwood Mead” in later life as the “Good Leader” owned by Nick Frangos and Nick Moundreas - whom I also knew... she cleaned up nicely - but was unlucky. They sold her in ‘84 and she became rebars in 2002. She was (obviously) a very well built ship, built in Japan for Kaiser Steel.

88005485-608F-40E8-8759-5A1E7C9AA1FF.jpeg

If you look at the words

ELWOOD MEAD
and
..GOOD LEADER
you will see why she was called that.