Strong Streams Warning

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Nav notice just received from EA:

Navigation Authority notice 4 June 2008
Important information to masters of vessels
STRONG STREAM
WARNING

Due to the very heavy rainfall in the Thames Valley on Tuesday 3 June, we are experiencing strong streams on the River Thames. All locks are now showing Red Strong Stream warning boards and many weirs are fully open.

Our advice to masters of all types of vessels is not to navigate and for those already out on the river to find a secure mooring as soon as possible.

We expect these conditions to remain for the remainder of the week and possibly into the weekend as the tributaries continue to impact on river levels.

The forecast for the next few days and into next week is for showers only. If the forecast holds, it is likely yellow warning boards will be displayed by early next week.
For up to date information on river conditions for the Thames please call our Floodline on 0845 988 1188 and select option 1, followed by quick dial number 011131.
E. McKeever
Harbourmaster

Doolittle

Visit site
Thanks. I haven't got that one yet.

Mrs Doolittle has just yelled at a sports cruiser called Requiem. He seemed intent on making normal speed over ground upriver and he claimed he couldn't go much slower! He shrugged a few times and after a bit more yelling he did slow but then yelled he wasn't getting anywhere to which she responded that he should moor up then!

Top lass. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Flashheart

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Thats another weekend stuffed, this is getting a little monotonous...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm I agree. Back to cleaning, buffing and generally hanging around the marina.

Chris_d

Visit site
This service is getting better, however its nearly 24hrs too late, I went down and attached extra ropes to my boat and rigged it for a flood last night, today when we receive the email I can't get to it /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

ianc1200

Visit site
"Mrs Doolittle has just yelled at a sports cruiser called Requiem. He seemed intent on making normal speed over ground upriver and he claimed he couldn't go much slower! He shrugged a few times and after a bit more yelling he did slow but then yelled he wasn't getting anywhere to which she responded that he should moor up then!"

Is this a joke?

Surely you're going to cause more wash by going upstream when it's flowing a bit. There's still a right of navigation!

(perhaps it is a joke & I've misunderstood...)

regards

IanC

Chris_d

Visit site
Not a joke surely, if its flowing at 4knts, you will need to be doing 8knts through the water to make 4knts over the ground, at that speed your wash will be enourmous especialy in a sports cruiser. So yes if you have any conscious you will go slowly and endure it or stay put.

Doolittle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

Surely you're going to cause more wash by going upstream when it's flowing a bit. There's still a right of navigation!

(perhaps it is a joke & I've misunderstood...)

regards

IanC

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not a joke Ian. Just as Chris says, it's inevitable you will create more wash going upstream in a strong stream. It doesn't matter how fast you go (within reason) it's the wash you need to watch and if a sports cruiser causes 2 foot wash without making any headway, well they shouldn't be navigating the river under these circumstances.

byron

RIP
Visit site
Bear in mind when going upstream against a strong flow, the wash gets a deal of ironing out by the flow. I see it here all the time. The Wash which looks really bad just behind the vessel has virtually disappeared by the time it reaches the bank.

No Regrets

Visit site
I have mixed feelings here:

My old sport cruiser used to make more wash than a ferry, and yet, as was mentioned, I had a right of way.

Clearly, this was right, yet wrong.

SO I SOLD THE SODDING THING AND BOUGHT A PROPER RIVER CRUISER /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Doolittle

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Bear in mind when going upstream against a strong flow, the wash gets a deal of ironing out by the flow. I see it here all the time. The Wash which looks really bad just behind the vessel has virtually disappeared by the time it reaches the bank.

[/ QUOTE ]

Troo, but it was 2 foot when it washed our 15' boats stern up onto the bank. But good point.

As a matter of interest, I'm still doing the school run by boat and I have a dilema, do I stick to mid stream and do 6knt (1knt sog) and cause more wash or do I hug the port bank (inside of the bend) and do 3knt (1knt sog) - and give a big grin to all my neigbours as I pass within a gnats todger of their front windows!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

apollo

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
it's the wash you need to watch

[/ QUOTE ]

ahem...no the EA rule is 8km/h <u>over the ground</u>, so if the current is 4knots, 8knots upstream is legal... so the sportsboat was quite within their right.

Dumb rule - yep
Loads of wash - yep

Who made up ths stoopid rule......

ianc1200

Visit site
I do sympathise, but it is a river, and can't accept that I shouldn't navigate upstream because I'm causing a large wash because the streams running fast; surely that's inevitable. Otherwise we're just turning the river into a canal.

IanC

Captain Coochie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
she responded that he should moor up then!

[/ QUOTE ]

I would of thanked her for the offer and rafted up next to you , got the barbie out and said be a love , nip down to the shop and get some burgers and beers /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

jecuk

Visit site
And going downstream by the same rule would mean you would need to be in reverse to hit the 8km/h SOG limit..... /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

jecuk

Visit site
According to the webcam at Maidenhead river looks considerably lower this morning. Also Marlow reach was well down this morning at home.

alistairedw

Visit site
That sounds a bit more encouraging. The river was flowing very fast at Twickenham yesterday evening. Well after high tide the river was still about 3 feet above the normal maintained level.

Lets hope most of the floodwater manages to get downstream before the weekend. Last weekend it was remarkable how the flow moderated between Friday evening and Sunday morning.