South Wales Berths for Powerboat

ColleyV8

Visit site
I am moving from West Scotland to West Wales, I have a 6.4m powerboat that used to be on the lochs up here, about 1m draft with leg down. Was looking for a mooring around the lower half of Wales, Bristol Channel region as that will be about an hours drive, closer than North Wales. Are there any areas better than others, or is it similar to Scotland and smaller marinas are a lot cheaper than the large marina companies that run multiple marinas

Diesel would be an advantage, but don't need power or water currently, the trailer will be stored at the house

I used to have a swing mooring, but a proper pontoon would be better due to the travel time to get to the boat.

Regards Steve

Sneds

Visit site
Wales is a big place, where about will you be?
Milford Haven way or Aberystwyth may suit and of course Swansea or Cardiff

Dellquay13

Boat at Milford Haven, Home in Chesterfield
Visit site
? for Milford marina, I've got a yacht and a 6m mobo there. The haven would be just like home if you are used to sea lochs.
Milford marina has a waiting list for annual berths though, Neyland may be less full, and they also do dry stack, but it's 5mile further from the open sea. There are swinging moorings available at Dale.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Another +1 for Milford, if it wasn’t that my boat is only about 1.5 miles from home I would certainly look at Milford as an alternative to Aberaeron.

ColleyV8

Visit site
Thanks everyone, I am moving hopefully near Lampeter, so about the same distance from Aberystwyth, Milford or Swansea . I don't know the area and need to look at the silting issue and distance to the seas as you say, I don't want to end up just going up and down the same river all the time. Next time I'm over I'll call in and see the amenities they offer

SP2

www.rightsofway.co.uk
Thanks everyone, I am moving hopefully near Lampeter, so about the same distance from Aberystwyth, Milford or Swansea . I don't know the area and need to look at the silting issue and distance to the seas as you say, I don't want to end up just going up and down the same river all the time. Next time I'm over I'll call in and see the amenities they offer
Welcome to Wales.

From Lampeter your nearest marina would be Aberystwyth and be straight out into the Irish Sea which is fine but can be limiting with the prevailing winds.

I'm near Carmarthen and Milford is over an hour for me. Longer on a summer's day with the trippers heading to Pembrokeshire. I berth at Neyland which is just under an hour. Swansea is closer for me but offers no options when the weather is poor and a friend who berths there hardly ever seems to go out. I have thought about Cardiff Bay but the Bristol Channel is also not that inviting.

Silting isn't an issue - the tides are fast and the Haven where I am is deep water.

Good luck with your search and move. Have a look at Harry Dwyer's recent two videos which gives you a great idea of what it is like around these parts.

ColleyV8

Visit site
Good luck with your search and move. Have a look at Harry Dwyer's recent two videos which gives you a great idea of what it is like around these parts.

Thanks, the videos are amazing, can't wait to get the boat over, one problem being on the Loch was having to go down the same route every time you took the boat out, it was miles until you got to the Clyde

Reactions: SP2