Something in the Sea- Yves Bonavero

LeonF

Visit site
Found this in a Red Cross shop for a £1. Bought it thinking it was a Hammond Innes/Llewellyn type yarn....turned out to be something quite different, but a real page turner. Quite disturbing. Look out for it.

liverpoold

Visit site
I've read this!
And to be honest I can't beleive the reviews people have given it!
I thought it was terrible, the storm at the beginning was okay but the rest of the story is really badly written, the twist at the end etc written like someone in a creative writing course.
I actually ended up using it to light the burner, and that for me is sacralidge as I love books!

I did enjoy-
Children of Cape Horn by Rosie Swale
Anything by Libby Purves.

Selina

LeonF

Visit site
That's the problem when someone comes to anything after reading a rave review, be it a film, play, TV programme or book. I started to read it with no expectations, and I try never to read the synopsis on the cover. I was gripped by the tale. I am no literary critic but people say Dickens was not a great writer but a master storyteller. I lent it to a friend who was re-reading Doris Lessing's Golden Notebook and she was enthralled and read it through in a single sitting. I too like Libby Purves and Sam Llewellyn. Try Robert Wilson....A small death in Lisbon and Blind Man of Seville. Long and complex.

liverpoold

Visit site
Cool, will try them. I think liking books is a very personal thing, I don't rea;lly know what it is about a certain book that makes mev like or dislike it, some books just seem to grip you.
Papillion is great.
S