Something has picked up my mooring!

Zagato

Visit site
AS the OP has raised the matter with all and sundry, the suspicion will gravitate to him......

Right, I'm going down to tie the thing up somewhere more official. I'll take a picture of it on it's old & new mooring and a close up of how it is tied up which will be identical to how it is tied at present ;)

Who ever is responsible is either totally irresponsible or a complete A hole for mooring it in the wrong place - enough reasonable action has been taken to find who ever is responsible. They should have either put contact info on the boat itself or notified the relevant authorities where it is situated. If the relevant authorities have not been not been notified then shift the bloody thing.......end of.

Last edited:

halb

Visit site
Right, I'm going down to tie the thing up somewhere more official. I'll take a picture of it on it's old & new mooring and a close up of how it is tied up which will be identical to how it is tied at present ;)

Who ever is responsible is either totally irresponsible or a complete A hole for mooring it in the wrong place - enough reasonable action has been taken to find who ever is responsible. They should have either put contact info on the boat itself or notified the relevant authorities where it is situated. If the relevant authorities have not been not been notified then shift the bloody thing.......end of.

At last it seems to that someone has seen the light, it's about time!!
It would be prudent that you take at least two others with you as witnesses, plus take as many photo's as possible to prove the condition the offending object both before and after moving it.
Well done and good luck!!
Jon

dancrane

Visit site
Right, I'm going down to tie the thing up somewhere more official. I'll take a picture of it on its old & new mooring and a close up of how it is tied up which will be identical to how it is tied at present ;)

Your purposeful good sense and clarity of simple, rightful indignation on Gerry's behalf is admirable; I think we'd all like to hear that somebody has done just what you propose...but we're reluctant to sink into the mire of loathsome legality that might ensue...

...presumably Gerry himself could do what you're planning to, if the position bothers him (or is costing him) enough? We've all expressed our support for him here, almost regardless of what his response to the situation might be...maybe now it's best left to him, to do something, or nothing?

For the future though, I'd still be inclined to encourage some investigation of the law and some understanding amongst members of all sailing clubs, so that when situations like this occur, there need be no hesitation or doubt about what's possible and permissible, in terms of ousting the cuckoo.

Don't we otherwise open the door for types who don't want to pay, don't take care to find out, and don't care who they inconvenience?

grumpy_o_g

Visit site
Your purposeful good sense and clarity of simple, rightful indignation on Gerry's behalf is admirable; I think we'd all like to hear that somebody has done just what you propose...but we're reluctant to sink into the mire of loathsome legality that might ensue...

I can state categorically that Zagato had nothing to do with it being moved as he was with me at the time he will be moving it...

Seajet

Visit site
Just a little point, I forget what the rules are in Portsmouth but in Chichester Harbour there's a byelaw saying a boat found left on a mooring - even if stupidly as in this case - cannot be moved legally without the owner present.

Of course common sense and discretion may well be the answer, hopefully without making it a problem for anyone else apart from the owner...

gerryraby1

Visit site
come on! this is now 10 days since the problemn was raised. It's costing a forumite time, money and stress.

There must be some kit on that unit with an ID number. Backtrack with the manufacturer.

For all you know it might be gently pumping c.difficile or something equally noxious into the water as a subtle unit of Al Q'aeda's navy. Environment Agency, local Health Authority, local Emergency Planning Office, all should be brought in to play. Raise the stakes.

Be patient Sarabande......answer soon :)

But I promise you there was definitely no ID on this craft and I took a close look in a dingy (without getting my head chopped off by the wind gen which was wizzing around dangerously close to me)!

Gerry www.sadler32forsale.com

gerryraby1

Visit site

Hi Zagato....hold on there just a minute....answer coming up! :)

gerryraby1

Visit site
Ok all...the problem has been resolved (hooray, I hear you cry)

First of all thanks for all your posts, the helpful, the funny and even the "cut it lose brigade". Most of them have put a smile on my face :)
I didnt particularly enjoy the club criticisms. Hardway is a friendly and welcoming club. I dont want to go into the communication that I have had with them here as I feel that it will reignite the thread but I would invite anyone who would like to visit Hardway to PM me. We will make arrangements and I will buy (some) beers.

I would love to tell you an exciting end where the owner called me up and apologised and gave me free mooring in a marina for a year and a large bottle of rum for my trouble. Sadly the truth is a little more mundane.

Thanks to Lenseman who gave me some links much earlier in the post. I went through the links and contacted all the organisations, of which included QHM (even though I had called them on day one, before anyone else).
Today I got a call form Wicor Marine who had been contacted by QHM. Wicor had given permission for the ........erm.......silly people to put the offending object on one of their moorings and they had simply picked up the wrong one.
Wicor marine had called the owners and told them of their error who said they would move it forthwith.
I suggested that when they move it they put some kind of identification so if there was a problem someone could contact them.......sorry, when it sinks, as it looks like it will......someone could contact them.

Even though I am miles away from Wicor Marine, I dont hold any grudge against, what I believe is a bunch of students, that dont know anything about the etiquette of picking up the wrong mooring. We were all young once (it may just be a little harder for some to remember because it is such a long time ago :) and we all make mistakes.

On reflection I think that, as tempting as it may be, "cutting it loose" would have been the poorest course of action to take.

Thanks again for all your input. This post has been great entertainment.

One last thing. I had to pick up a club mooring which was free. I found out the owner and called them. They were most understanding and helpful.

Thanks again