Solaris sunrise

Stemar

Visit site
As a long time multihull freak and having built three (including the Elite in my avatar) I can answer many of the questions you have. The Solaris is an excellent boat and the concept is very similar to the Prout so here is my offering

First the negative points
1 She is NOT a fast cat. Cruising at 6 -7 knots is normal although up to 12 is possible downwind it rare to achieve.
2 She will NOT tack easily especially in light airs and the windward performance is not good. Don't expect to achieve much going close to the wind
3 She will slam alarmingly in big seas . The centre nacelle helps a bit as a wave-breaker but any cat with a low bridgedeck will slam
Positive points though
1. The twin engine option is superb for handling. Especially in marinas etc
2. Space and accommodation is excellent.
3. VERY comfortable and safe to sail even single handed. Slamming in big seas is noisy and worrying at first but not a safety issue and its not going to damage anything.
4 Dries out practically anywhere and while marina berths are more expensive you can find shallow sheltered anchorages where monos can't go
5 upright sailing is far less tiring. You can cook and lounge about in comfort even when underway and a good hydraulic autohelm is worth every penny. (Just remember you still need to keep watch though. Don't get too lazy!)
6 modest beam and low air draft will allow transit through French canals with mast down

Basically I look on this type of boat as the Motor-Sailor of catamarans. A purist go-fast multi-hull sailor will pour scorn in them but they have a really solid place in the sailing world. Just don't expect scorching performance!
I think you just described my Catalac.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We’re looking at a Solaris sunrise but new to multihulls - how have you other Solaris owners found the sailing performance? - particularly tacking and slamming? Not keen to have to have an engine on to tack or keen on constant slamming.

it seems so hard to find answers from actual owners and not just opinions from armchairs, so excited when I saw a few recent posts from owners!!
Mike’s post says much of what you need to know. Other multihulls may be faster, tack better and slam less. But you’re going to pay for that, unless you trade off accomodation. If I were looking at cats with that kind of space but wanted more performance, I’d look at some Woods or Kelsall designs. The Solaris is good value as long as you don’t expect to keep up with a racer. It’s assets are space, low draught, drying ability. You can keep all that, and have performance, but at a price. An ongoing price too, rigs for faster boats are more expensive to keep fast.

whiteflame

Visit site
Hi all ,been a while, put some videos up on YouTube of Meerkat out and about if any one interested, it's under sailing Meerkat.

Cheers adam

Stemar

Visit site
I know that boat, and she certainly seems to be well maintained. She did the French canals last year - all the way down to the Med, up the Canal du Midi and and back round Brittany - all in less than 90 days!

Obviously do your due diligence, but if you're looking for something similar, the owners are people I'd be happy to buy from.

pragmatist

Visit site
As there seems to have been some interest in the Sunrise 36 catamaran, and there appears to be very little information out on the web, we've put together a web site giving all the information we have - after owning the boat for 3 years. Circumstances have conspired to stop us sailing the boat as much as we would like. We are therefore still short of information in some areas. It is likely that we have told lies both about the Solaris and other cats, such as the comparisons with Prouts. So please feel free to correct us i.e. all comments welcome ! The site is Solaris Sunrise 36 Catamaran