Solaris sunrise

pessimist

Visit site
Hi Jake and welcome to the forum. We bought a Sunrise last year but have had little chance to sail her yet, but so far so good. We know she motor's well - so sh should with 2*30hp? We've spent a few nights on board and found her very comfortable, I reckon she has more usable space than our previous 41ft mono.
Be very interested in the modifications you have made and your general impression of the boat.
Cheers,
Colin (and Penny
Snafu II

Solaris-Sunrise

Visit site
Hi, I have Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’ number 5, a 1994 boat, owned her for 4 years now and done a lot on her so if you have any questions I may be able to help...

pessimist

Visit site
Hi, I have Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’ number 5, a 1994 boat, owned her for 4 years now and done a lot on her so if you have any questions I may be able to help...
Hi, and welcome to the forums. We bought our Sunrise just before lockdown and so have had very little opportunity to sail her. We are new to multihulls so prolly have a lot to learn to get the best from her. Any musings from a more experienced owner would be welcome. What sort of wind speed to reef, expected performance etc.
Cheers,
Colin

Adastracat

Visit site
Hello all and I apologize for my belated reply. I have hull #4 which is a 1993 sunrise sport. I have been involved in a complete refit for the past three years and just rebuilt the mast with all new wiring, rigging, lighting, radar, wind instruments and antenna. My question is whether or not any of you have or are using the original in mast furling system? My boat came with sails for both the in mast furling as well as a traditional mainsail with slides. I am having troubles getting the furling system to function well. Any ideas tips or tricks or should I just go back to the traditional main setup? Thank you, ~Jake

Last edited:

Adastracat

Visit site
Happy Holidays!!

I am curious if any of you have ever, or do often, beach your cat and let it sit on her own keels? We have many sandy beaches with a decent tidal range and I am of the belief she is designed to be beached and will do so without trouble. Do you have any insight to share surrounding my thoughts? Thank you!

Stemar

Visit site
We haven't been anywhere with out "new" cat, a Catalac, but the previous owners regularly dried out on beaches. I'd regard any cat that couldn't be dried out as either something pretty special (eg foiling) or simply not fit for purpose. Not my purpose, anyway

Boathook

Visit site
Happy Holidays!!

I am curious if any of you have ever, or do often, beach your cat and let it sit on her own keels? We have many sandy beaches with a decent tidal range and I am of the belief she is designed to be beached and will do so without trouble. Do you have any insight to share surrounding my thoughts? Thank you!
I beach my cat on a regular basis as long as the conditions are correct. Being able to dry out opens up many more places to visit.

Adastracat

Visit site
Thank you for the quick reply. When you do beach your cat does it sit just evenly on the keel shoes or does it also rest on the rudders? Are the rudder shafts/stocks able to support the weight if necessary such as if the keels were to settle into the bottom and allow the boat to tilt back onto the rudders. My concern is that the boat will tilt backwards and once that begins I will not be able to do anything until the tide comes back in. Thanks for your insight, ~Jake

soul

Visit site
Actually make that hull number 3...
Hello!! I am new in this group. Greetings to everyone...
I need information about Solaris sunrise 36..
What is the advantage of the third hull?? is it good for rough seas?
How fast is she under sail??
I would like cross the atlantic ocean with her.
I have read that there are diferents hulls,1,2,3,4,...??
too I have seen that there are sunrise 36 built in 2004. How is this possible??
Thank you so much and happy sea.

pessimist

Visit site
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer at least some of your questions.
The manufacturer claimed the nacelle was to smooth the passage through a chop. We've not yet encountered any real seas so I cant really comment. The only other cruising cats I've sailed on have been Prouts and she does seem to slap less than them.
Can't give a definitive figure for speed (our log is broken) but on a broad reach round to a close reach she seems a bit quicker than a Snowgoose Elite. Some figures here
There are several in the U.S.A. which I assume arrived on their own bottoms.
Don't know about different hulls.
I believe a few were built by a company in Devon, but don't know how late.
Cheers,
Colin

Solaris-Sunrise

Visit site
My boat was built in Southampton, Woolston, where most of them came from, I have the sport version with larger sail area, the nacelle does what it should, pushes water and lessens slamming, crossed the straights of Gibraltar in a force 5-6 no problem. The boat is much more manageable with a fair wind and good use of the mainsail traveller. There could be a 2004 boat if the hulls were laid earlier and commissioned after a few years, sometimes it can take an age before a boat is splashed. What people overlook more about these boats is that they’re twin engined, try finding another Cat with twins and the accommodation at anywhere near the price of a Solaris, I looked at a few Prouts before I bought, although lovely boats the problem came when looking for comparative money, they were all tired and worn (and single engine) don’t underestimate the manoeuvrability of twin engines on a wider beam, it’s delightful.

whiteflame

Visit site
Been a while since we were on, few miles under the keels,got a circuit of the Irish sea last year, Belfast, ardglass, Holyhead, Whitehaven then home. This year was just a week to the isle of man TT.

captainstich

Visit site
We’re looking at a Solaris sunrise but new to multihulls - how have you other Solaris owners found the sailing performance? - particularly tacking and slamming? Not keen to have to have an engine on to tack or keen on constant slamming.

it seems so hard to find answers from actual owners and not just opinions from armchairs, so excited when I saw a few recent posts from owners!!

boatmike

Visit site
As a long time multihull freak and having built three (including the Elite in my avatar) I can answer many of the questions you have. The Solaris is an excellent boat and the concept is very similar to the Prout so here is my offering

First the negative points
1 She is NOT a fast cat. Cruising at 6 -7 knots is normal although up to 12 is possible downwind it rare to achieve.
2 She will NOT tack easily especially in light airs and the windward performance is not good. Don't expect to achieve much going close to the wind
3 She will slam alarmingly in big seas . The centre nacelle helps a bit as a wave-breaker but any cat with a low bridgedeck will slam
Positive points though
1. The twin engine option is superb for handling. Especially in marinas etc
2. Space and accommodation is excellent.
3. VERY comfortable and safe to sail even single handed. Slamming in big seas is noisy and worrying at first but not a safety issue and its not going to damage anything.
4 Dries out practically anywhere and while marina berths are more expensive you can find shallow sheltered anchorages where monos can't go
5 upright sailing is far less tiring. You can cook and lounge about in comfort even when underway and a good hydraulic autohelm is worth every penny. (Just remember you still need to keep watch though. Don't get too lazy!)
6 modest beam and low air draft will allow transit through French canals with mast down

Basically I look on this type of boat as the Motor-Sailor of catamarans. A purist go-fast multi-hull sailor will pour scorn in them but they have a really solid place in the sailing world. Just don't expect scorching performance!