Solaris sunrise

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Much of the design looks similar to my cat, however I can dinghy/swim right under mine whereas it looks as if yours actually has a central "hull" which is in the water.

It it therefore, technically, a trimaran, and what is inside the central hull? I'm tempted to call it a nacelle but I don't think that nacelles are below the waterline?

Richard

pessimist

Visit site
Much of the design looks similar to my cat, however I can dinghy/swim right under mine whereas it looks as if yours actually has a central "hull" which is in the water.

It it therefore, technically, a trimaran, and what is inside the central hull? I'm tempted to call it a nacelle but I don't think that nacelles are below the waterline?

Richard
Not sure this is correct (but I could be wrong ;)). Typically a trimaran would have a vaka at least as long as, and probably longer than the amas. The central 'hull' on the Solaris does not even extend the length of the bridge deck, so I would suggest that it is more correctly a nacelle. This would make the Solaris a catamaran with a wave breaker, which is what the manufacturers claimed. Quite prepared to be proven wrong by those more knowledgeable than me. BTW the nacelle is filled with closed cell foam.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Not sure this is correct (but I could be wrong ;)). Typically a trimaran would have a vaka at least as long as, and probably longer than the amas. The central 'hull' on the Solaris does not even extend the length of the bridge deck, so I would suggest that it is more correctly a nacelle. This would make the Solaris a catamaran with a wave breaker, which is what the manufacturers claimed. Quite prepared to be proven wrong by those more knowledgeable than me. BTW the nacelle is filled with closed cell foam.
That's interesting. I would have thought that the only advantage to having that extra wetted area, and thereby extra drag, would be if one could use the internal volume for extra living/storage/engine space. I'm not sure why one would want to "break the waves" when one already has two hulls doing that, as much as it's possible to do it, either side.

I've never seen a central hull in the water in the Med, other than on trimarans, but I'll keep an eye out in future.

Richard

pessimist

Visit site
That's interesting. I would have thought that the only advantage to having that extra wetted area, and thereby extra drag, would be if one could use the internal volume for extra living/storage/engine space. I'm not sure why one would want to "break the waves" when one already has two hulls doing that, as much as it's possible to do it, either side.

I've never seen a central hull in the water in the Med, other than on trimarans, but I'll keep an eye out in future.

Richard
I think the idea is to reduce/stop bridge deck slamming. Absolutely no idea how effective it is.

whiteflame

Visit site
Various family disasters have prevented us using her nearly as much as we'd have liked. Had a short trip out of the river and got the Genoa up sadly max 3knots wind ! Found one engine not getting enough water in thru sail drive so getting it replumbed with a separate water intake. We have loads of photos. Anything you received especially interested in ?
Hi there, mainly the inrerior as meerkat quite dated and no real sea berth so looking at modernising a bit

ecustun

Visit site
Hi,
I’m new here and I’ve been living in Turkey. I’ll see a solaris sunrise 36 berthing in south coast of Turkey. I intend to upgrade from my Bavaria 34 for living on board ( has been living for 5 years on my monohull) But I haven’t seen a review, enough info about sunrise 36 . I don’t know where she is made.
Is there anyone to help about?
Regards,
Erdem

pessimist

Visit site
Hi,
I’m new here and I’ve been living in Turkey. I’ll see a solaris sunrise 36 berthing in south coast of Turkey. I intend to upgrade from my Bavaria 34 for living on board ( has been living for 5 years on my monohull) But I haven’t seen a review, enough info about sunrise 36 . I don’t know where she is made.
Regards,
Erdem
Hi,
Welcome to the forum. If you p.m. me your email address I can send you a couple of reviews from boating magazines.

pragmatist

Visit site
Hi,
Regards,
Erdem
Hi Erdem
Hope you found the reviews useful. We've only had her since June and not managed to go anywhere much so our views on her performance won't count for much. However we were very interested in comparing her with Prouts using Multihull Dynamics. Our view of the boat for living aboard is that she is even better than we thought before buying her. She is very comfortable for sleeping and, after a monohull, the saloon is to die for - spacious with views pretty much all round. The galley is narrower than that on the Prout 37/Elite but I have found it pretty workable. There's quite a lot of storage and the separate hob plus oven/grill opposite the double sinks works well. Ours has a single head/shower - again loads of room. We've got loads of pictures if you want to look. Best of luck ! Penny (Mrs Pessimist !)

Last edited:

ecustun

Visit site
Hi,
Especially the first review was very useful and also multihull dynamics is perfect, it is a must for multihullers,
Thank you very much.
Best wishes
Erdem

Jeffpickett

Visit site
Hi there, mainly the inrerior as meerkat quite dated and no real sea berth so looking at modernising a bit
Hi Adam, I used to own Meerkat from 2000 to 2007. Lovely boat. Kept it in Whitehaven.

Attachments

• 1477AD13-E8D1-4D96-BB2D-5E2EE9A106B5.jpeg
    1477AD13-E8D1-4D96-BB2D-5E2EE9A106B5.jpeg
    319.5 KB · Views: 30

ecustun

Visit site
Hi,
I saw the boat; the main problem was cabin spaceroom; dark, narrow , small, not enough space for sitting / standing, my 34 monohull main cabin is much more comfortable than the cabins of this catamaran for live abord. Laying ,flooring wood work craftsmanship was poor as if it was made in backyard.

pessimist

Visit site
Hi,
I saw the boat; the main problem was cabin spaceroom; dark, narrow , small, not enough space for sitting / standing, my 34 monohull main cabin is much more comfortable than the cabins of this catamaran for live abord. Laying ,flooring wood work craftsmanship was poor as if it was made in backyard.

Hi,
Sorry you didn't like the boat. Are you sure we are taking about the same model? We switched from a 41ft mono to this boat and certainly have "more room to swing a cat :)". The saloon has enough room for me to walk from one hull to the other (I'm 1.8m) and comfortable seating for at least 6. With windows all around, twin hatches and and a glass door to the cockpit we certainly don't find it dark. The twin aft cabins are both genuine doubles with plenty of room for dressing. We decided to buy the Solaris rather than the Prout Elite on the basis of the accommodation.. I'll see if I can dig out some photos and we can compare notes.
Cheers,
Colin

pragmatist

Visit site
Hi,
Hi ecustun Photo of the saloon below. There is visibility either side where aft of the main seating (so you can see what's going past) plus of course the full length clear door.

Would be interested to see a link to the boat as I can't find any Sunrise 36 for sale in Turkey - there is one in Spain.

Kind regards
Penny
8Dazzler1024_02.jpg

ecustun

Visit site
Yes The saloon is roomy and light. The boat is not for sale on the web, the maintenance guy told me that she is for sale. The boat is laying at Finike m setur marina if you interest in

pragmatist

Visit site
Yes The saloon is roomy and light. The boat is not for sale on the web, the maintenance guy told me that she is for sale. The boat is laying at Finike m setur marina if you interest in

Ecustun you said "the main problem was cabin spaceroom; dark, narrow , small, not enough space for sitting / standing" . The two double berths are a very good size, as Colin said. The starboard forecabin on ours has 2 bunk berths and seems a bit squashed but we generally use it for storage (or maybe grandchildren !!!) so it doesn't bother us.

Adastracat

Visit site
Greetings all,

I found this forum while doing some Solaris Sunrise searching. I am writing to say hello as I am the owner of a 1993 Solaris Sunrise Sport 36’ here in Seattle WA, USA. She is hull number 4. I am nearly finished with a almost 3 year total refit. I am hoping to learn about these boats from all of you and maybe even share a thing or two which you might find useful. I have attached a couple photos of when we bought her nearly 3 years ago. She is very different now. 49E9C0E5-96AC-4B82-99B0-5A4DECD07528.jpegDBBB91AF-78D4-4C88-ACFF-9B73EEB647B2.jpeg

Safe Journeys,
~Jake
S/V Adastracat