Solar Panel quality and prices.

ThereAndBack

Visit site
I intend to fit a solar panel to my boat. About 120w seems adequate as the boat is in Greece (where the sun shines more often :)). I prefer to buy in the UK and I am going for a framed polycrystalline panel.

In comparing prices and I am surprised to find such large price variations. Prices seem to range from about £300ish to £800ish for what appear to my untrained eye to be similar panels.

Can anyone tell me just what I would be paying for in the more expensive panels?

In view of the advancing technology, I think I would prefer to buy a cheap one now that may need replacing in 5 or so years when panels may be a quarter of the size and half the price they are now.

Is my thinking flawed?

Experiences, suggestions and opinions welcome.

Alan

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Midsummer Energy are competitive, reliable, and they sell Kyocera panels. These are apparently specified for marine use and at one time were the only such panels. Mine have been excellent, now installed for three seasons and as good as the day they were fitted. I have 125 watts, made up of an 85 and a 40, currently not listed. At present they list 135 watt panel at £535, 90 watt at £425, 70 watt at £325.

alan

Visit site
Solar Panels

Some of the semi-flexible ones are expensive (e.g. Solara) and from my experience not very reliable; I have had three fail on my and my friend's boats after about two to three years.
I now have a semi-flex from Merlin (can't remember the make) and it is permanently mounted and so far is OK. From my observation, it would appear that Solara do not like being flexed ................. not good for semi-flex panels.
I also recommend Kyocera for rigid panels; I have two 60W ones which I mount on the pushpit when I am cruising; these have worked exceptionally well so far.

Whilst on holiday I was getting 6.5 amps total one morning from all three panels ........ don't know which ones were in the sun or not at the time. I find that 180W keeps up with normal load of fridge, cabin lights (LEDs), anchor light (LED), FM radio and water pump (used sparingly) when charging 200 amps of domestic batteries.

My advice would be to fit about twice as big (many) panels that you think you will need; Kyocera have served me well so far.

Alan.

William_H

Visit site
Solar panels

Just considering the the panels in a frame the Chinese seem to be making a lot a a very cheap price. My experience of some years back with smaller 5 to 10w solar panels is that the cheap ones do not last well. Moisture seems to be able to get in under the glass and cause corrosion patches which eventually kill the panel. Newer Chinese made may be better.
I have bought 2 BP solar panels which were made in Australia they came with a good guarantee and seem fine. However I understand they have closed the factory down in Oz due to competition from China.
My advice is to look for a guarantee that looks like it might be useful for 5 years or so thyen go for the cheapest. good luck olewill

PS some may notice olewill is back after a couple of weeks in tropical far north Queensland. Not much boating but very nice.

robertj

Visit site
I have bought a cheap Chinese panel, 60w and the workmanship seems good. The frame is anodised and very rigid, with tempered low iron glass.
I will know how good after a few years which isn't anyuse to you now.

These cheap panels are not like they used to be, the finished product look and works well.

Good luck