small club racing yacht

Frogmogman

Visit site
I think the folks suggesting a smaller J boat were bang on the money back then for what the OP was after.

Can’t see that much had changed since.

mrming

instagram.com
Yep agreed. I would still go for a H Boat or Folkboat if you want to win silverware single-handed. For a small number of crew I would still look at the J/92 at the larger end (and would go no bigger for inshore racing), but also at the Albin Express. Small, stiff and competitive under IRC. Look up the JOG results for “Xpressly Forbidden” which is regularly sailed double-handed. The Sun Fast 32i is a quick boat but too big / tender to sail short handed round the cans competitively against fully crewed boats imo. The MGC 27 is also a good shout.

bignick

Visit site
I’d echo Flaming’s (December 2014 !!!) recommendation of a j/100. I think they’re one of my favourite boats of all time And they are a bit of a bargain now. Only downside is that they are normally raced with a symmetric kite, but as the tack is well aft of the stem they can be rigged with an A-sail without a prodder, which might be quite convenient singlehanded.
Alternatively a J/92S would fit the bill. The later S version has a deeper keel, and went to non-overlapping headsails and masthead kite..

Last edited:

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
As the owner of a 30 foot A-sail boat (not the one the OP seeks) the question I would ask is a polite enquiry about his fitness. Any kind of kite on a 30 footer is going to be testing. The Folkboat is what I’d suggest, they’re often sailed white sails only. Handicapped for that, he’d have a significant advantage. Our kite is a beast, though a snuffer would help.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
My furling asymmetric is a pussy cat. I’m sure it would work brilliantly on a dragonfly.
I’m unclear if my sail is suitable for that. You can’t make the luff tight, and it’s a soft luff. I should look into it though. Currently I have my eye on a cheap second hand snuffer, I will see how that works out. 750 sq ft is a lot of nylon, anything is better than fighting that on my own. I am lucky to have a wife willing and able to steer.

bignick

Visit site
Anothe couple of alternative suggestions, depending upon what you would find yourself racing against.. . .
Mustang 30
Alerion Express 28
there aren’t that many of the latter in the UK, but there was one for sale not that long ago for about £35k. It has a Hoyt jib boom which would make singlehanding easier.
I think Mustang 30s do quite well short handed as well.

Frogmogman

Visit site
I’m unclear if my sail is suitable for that. You can’t make the luff tight, and it’s a soft luff. I should look into it though. Currently I have my eye on a cheap second hand snuffer, I will see how that works out. 750 sq ft is a lot of nylon, anything is better than fighting that on my own. I am lucky to have a wife willing and able to steer.

A top down furler does not need a tight luff. You do obviously need tension in the furling cable.

3997F361-4F72-44D4-86CE-DC362AA2AB5B.jpeg

flaming

Visit site
OK in the best tradition of YBW Zombie threads I was just searching and found this!!! Ahahahahha! 2014 feels like a lifetime away...........

Well I now have no boat post divorce!

But if the Pandemic/Brexit +25% premium starts going down I may now be in a position to buy....... Otherwise I am going to be an even more crap sailor than I was before...... I need practice. And I find crewing on other people's boats strangely disatisfying.......

So Criteria is my A & B!!

MGC27
Hanse 292/292/301

Or go one size bigger, as 1 metres on the mooring costs are zero and in a marina just a mere £340 a year more. Also better for cruising the Clyde and Inner and Outer Hebrides and staying for the weekend.

However prices of Elan 333, Maxi 1000 etc are bonkers compared to a few years ago!

Sunfast 32i? Compromise? Hanse 301 is 2800kg, Sunfast 32i is 4190Kg, a lot more boat!

Jeanneau Sun Fast 32i for sale UK, Jeanneau boats for sale, Jeanneau used boat sales, Jeanneau Sailing Yachts For Sale Jeanneau Sun Fast 32i (sold) - Apollo Duck

£28k ish, a lot cheaper than the slight;y larger classics?
Sorry to hear about the divorce.
I think a lot of this depends where you are putting the balance between the racing and the cruising needs...

If you're principally looking for a racing boat, and for the cruising you will do you are happy to "camp" for a weekend, then there are actually some very interesting boats on the market right now...

You don't mention budget, but keeping it under about £50k actual purchase, there is a J105 for £55k that looks in fantastic nick. Doubt you'd have to spend anything on it.. There's also one asking £44k. I doubt that they'll hang around, they're very popular boats.
2007 J Boats J/105 Racer/Cruiser for sale - YachtWorld

A Corby 30, definitely on the no comfort end....
1999 Corby 30 Racer for sale - YachtWorld

A Grand suprise -By a long way the fastest boat in this list. Avoid if your aim is to be on the podium under IRC.
2007 Archambault Grand Surprise Racer for sale - YachtWorld

JOD 35 - definitely a step up in potential sail bills, and the oldest boat....
1991 Jeanneau JOD 35 Racer for sale - YachtWorld

Projection 920. Another example (Wee Bear) has been turned into a great little doublehanded boat. This one looks like it would need a bit of TLC for the cruising use.
1997 Projection 920 Racer for sale - YachtWorld

If you're looking for more comfort, and the racing being a secondary consideration, then I think you about nailed the state of the market.

roblpm

Visit site
As the owner of a 30 foot A-sail boat (not the one the OP seeks) the question I would ask is a polite enquiry about his fitness. Any kind of kite on a 30 footer is going to be testing. The Folkboat is what I’d suggest, they’re often sailed white sails only. Handicapped for that, he’d have a significant advantage. Our kite is a beast, though a snuffer would help.

Ahahaha. I am only 53. Need to get fit so a good reason to! Not that bad. We could have a press up competition??

bignick

Visit site
:LOL:
I think the confusion is from the fact that you’ve given new life to an email thread from 2014 and some people may not have seen your “zombie” post in the middle.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Ahahaha. I am only 53. Need to get fit so a good reason to! Not that bad. We could have a press up competition??
I’m 62, but triathlon fit. And that kite is a tough call if there's any weight in the wind. Partly, its trying to gather it, control the halyard, and release the outhaul, when halyard and outhaul are cockpit led, and I’m on the lee tramp. The clutches are out of reach for the helm. The thought of single handed kite launch on a Dragonfly, or rather, recovery….. Most of the rest would be fine. I post this because the kite handling isn’t that different to other 30 footers, it might even be easier.

roblpm

Visit site
I’m 62, but triathlon fit. And that kite is a tough call if there's any weight in the wind. Partly, its trying to gather it, control the halyard, and release the outhaul, when halyard and outhaul are cockpit led, and I’m on the lee tramp. The clutches are out of reach for the helm. The thought of single handed kite launch on a Dragonfly, or rather, recovery….. Most of the rest would be fine. I post this because the kite handling isn’t that different to other 30 footers, it might even be easier.

Eek! No press up competition! Hmmmm. Actually maybe I will be triathlon fit by the time I am 62! I am just a youngun!

But I take your point. Hopefully there will actually be 2 or 3 of us. Actually my main point on the racing front is small crew not necessarily single handed though I would like to have a go!

roblpm

Visit site
Sorry to hear about the divorce.
I think a lot of this depends where you are putting the balance between the racing and the cruising needs...

If you're principally looking for a racing boat, and for the cruising you will do you are happy to "camp" for a weekend, then there are actually some very interesting boats on the market right now...

You don't mention budget, but keeping it under about £50k actual purchase, there is a J105 for £55k that looks in fantastic nick. Doubt you'd have to spend anything on it.. There's also one asking £44k. I doubt that they'll hang around, they're very popular boats.
2007 J Boats J/105 Racer/Cruiser for sale - YachtWorld

A Corby 30, definitely on the no comfort end....
1999 Corby 30 Racer for sale - YachtWorld

A Grand suprise -By a long way the fastest boat in this list. Avoid if your aim is to be on the podium under IRC.
2007 Archambault Grand Surprise Racer for sale - YachtWorld

JOD 35 - definitely a step up in potential sail bills, and the oldest boat....
1991 Jeanneau JOD 35 Racer for sale - YachtWorld

Projection 920. Another example (Wee Bear) has been turned into a great little doublehanded boat. This one looks like it would need a bit of TLC for the cruising use.
1997 Projection 920 Racer for sale - YachtWorld

If you're looking for more comfort, and the racing being a secondary consideration, then I think you about nailed the state of the market.

Budget is small....!!! Though obviously i can spend all my money on boats and worry about having no pension later!!

I think I need one step up of comfort for these. Can't afford racing sails anyway! So bit more comfort.

MGC27 looks good. What is the 30ft equivalent.....?!!

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Eek! No press up competition! Hmmmm. Actually maybe I will be triathlon fit by the time I am 62! I am just a youngun!

But I take your point. Hopefully there will actually be 2 or 3 of us. Actually my main point on the racing front is small crew not necessarily single handed though I would like to have a go!
Apart from a stint on an 8 metre, I’ve always raced 2-3 crew boats. I have no inclination to do single handed stuff unless I hire a club Laser.

mrming

instagram.com
Budget is small....!!! Though obviously i can spend all my money on boats and worry about having no pension later!!

I think I need one step up of comfort for these. Can't afford racing sails anyway! So bit more comfort.

MGC27 looks good. What is the 30ft equivalent.....?!!
The Hanse 291 or equivalent (301 etc) models you mentioned in the past strike the right balance imo. Competitive, stiff and with pretty decent comfort. You’ll have to fly a proper kite but to be honest racing a heavy boat with an a-sail in a mixed fleet is a misery anyway. I’ve been there and learned the hard way.