SLOW DOWN (He screamed)

DAKA

Visit site
That's mainly why I don't bother with these forums much nowdays.

The banter is important in order to maintain interest between the interesting posts in my honest opinion, like an idiot that going to fit a new engine mount himself and then adjusts his own shaft alignment from DIY tips he picked up watching a Blue Peter episode :D

Thanks for sorting it properly for me Col, runs perfectly smooth now :)

DAKA

Visit site
Can you be a little more explicit on where this occured? Just outside Yarmouth covers quite a large area ...
If it was just going into the harbour then there isn't a lot of room.
If it was further out then there is plenty of room - and 'just outside spitting range' to me sounds too close ... after all - how far can you spit?

Surely you dont want to turn this into a witch hunt :rolleyes:

We were exiting Yarmouth as was the tow, the tow had allowed himself to be drifted by the current to be taken to the port side of the fairway leaving the middle to starboard side for us to pass, we were past the fairway buoy just past the end of the pier when I opened up.

fireball

Visit site
Surely you dont want to turn this into a witch hunt :rolleyes:

We were exiting Yarmouth as was the tow, the tow had allowed himself to be drifted by the current to be taken to the port side of the fairway leaving the middle to starboard side for us to pass, we were past the fairway buoy just past the end of the pier when I opened up.

That's a totally different picture to your original:

There I was happily minding my own business off Yarmouth when I spotted a Sailing Boat lashed to the side of a launch out in F4-5 wind against tide.
I was just thinking what a complete salock he was for not towing on a 30 m tow line as he shouted slow down at me :eek:

I had seen him struggling in the conditions and I had slowed down about a cable away so I checked my log...............

6.1 knots, (before I attempted again to slow down at his request)

Was his request reasonable ?

At 6 knots the bow drops and we were getting salt spray splashing all over the decks, as soon as we were passed and I opened up to 25 knots we had a dry ride.

I suffered discomfort for this guy and he still shouted at me.

http://www.yarmouth-harbour.co.uk/dos-and-donts/
Speed limit

4 knots over the ground in the River Yar and inner Harbour area, and 6 knots over the ground from the entrance Dolphin at the breakwater to the outer Harbour limits. All efforts to reduce wash must be taken. Note that speed limits will be strictly enforced.

Looks like you were already breaking the speed limit if you were exiting the harbour ...

D

Deleted User YDKXO

Geez, respect. I only calibrated mine once, after installing it...
And during the season, all I do is a scrub to the sensor while snorkeling around the boat - which seems to work just fine.
Are you sure your aproach is easier/faster?

Re.onboard gizmo packing up, well, what better opportunity to dust off that engraved brass sextant you surely have onboard? :D
Actually, nowadays I think that having no GPS assistance at all is not a realistic scenario anymore.
Chances are that each crew member has another GPS in his/her mobile phone...

Yeah I do try to clean the paddlewheel when I go for a swim but since in Croatia the water is only warm enough to swim in from the end of July to mid August, I recalibrate it the rest of the year! With regard to losing GPS, I did lose my GPS engine mid cruise last year and no, none of us had GPS on our phones. Croatia is bloody confusing with all those islands and no GPS. I'm ashamed to admit that one day I headed off for Vis thinking it was Hvar and I didn't actually realise until I'd nearly got there:eek:
Actually I do have a brass sextant but I haven't got a clue how to use it

DAKA

Visit site
That's a totally different picture to your original:

http://www.yarmouth-harbour.co.uk/dos-and-donts/

Looks like you were already breaking the speed limit if you were exiting the harbour ...

I can not understand this time why you and flamming feel the circumstance is any different to the first description

The speed limit initially is 6 knts not 4 but technically 6.1 is exceeding the speed limit however my log was undergoing recalibration since a recent lift out and I knew it to be over egged slightly .

The situation I believe was exactly as described, if I had spent any longer detailing the situation few would have bothered to read it.

fireball

Visit site
The speed limit initially is 6 knts not 4 but technically 6.1 is exceeding the speed limit however my log was undergoing recalibration since a recent lift out and I knew it to be over egged slightly .
Slightly?

The pier length is 1/10th of a Nautical Mile ... the definition of a Cable ... you said you SLOWED down when you saw the tow - and then your LOG (so STW not SOG) = 6.1kts - you've said the tide was ebbing - so even a little flow out of Yarmouth would've had you above that figure ... and you must have been doing more than the 4 knots limit when you spotted the tow (a cable off) ... ergo you were breaking the limit.

The situation I believe was exactly as described, if I had spent any longer detailing the situation few would have bothered to read it.
hmm !!

MapisM

Visit site
My boat doesn't pitch, incidentally :D
LOL, there's no such thing as a vessel which doesn't pitch, there are just vessels which don't go at sea in conditions where they would pitch... :eek:
...sorry, couldn't resist! :D

I fully agree that the ultrasonic thingie is a great advance compared to paddle wheels, and that the hassle and cost of equipment actually designed for ships wouldn't make any sense on pleasure boats.

MapisM

Visit site
I'm ashamed to admit that one day I headed off for Vis thinking it was Hvar and I didn't actually realise until I'd nearly got there:eek:
yeah, that's actually a nice feature of Croatian coast.
Both Hvar and Vis are excellent destinations, so why bother about where you're heading...? :D

DAKA

Visit site
Slightly?

you've said the tide was ebbing -
hmm !!

Are you sure you didnt just make that bit up :D

Oh well, I have had the answer I was looking for from Philz, Ripster and Flamming so you may as well play now :D

It sure was ebbing fast, ( is that going in or out) :confused:
It was a full moon and during a tidal surge, I snapped this off as a cool dude surfed my wake as I tried to maintain my limit of 6 knots SOG :rolleyes:

surferwavePA_450x250.jpg

fireball

Visit site
Are you sure you didnt just make that bit up :D

<snip>the tow had allowed himself to be drifted by the current to be taken to the port side of the fairway leaving the middle to starboard side for us to pass, <snip>

So - the tow is exiting Yarmouth Harbour - which means he was heading north - the CURRENT took him to the port side of the fairway - so I take that to mean the West side - ie away from the Pier ... so the current is going from East To West - or going out ... or Ebbing ... (not Epping - that's got a forest! ;) )

One minute you're saying you slowed to 6.1 STW (ie on your log) the next you're deciding that you're trying to maintain 6 knots SOG ... which is it Daka - you're getting mighty confused ... are you sure you didn't just get a little too close (just outside spitting range) to the tow vessel at around 6 knots whilst kicking up a significant wash .... ??

DAKA

Visit site
So - the tow is exiting Yarmouth Harbour - which means he was heading north - the CURRENT took him to the port side of the fairway - so I take that to mean the West side - ie away from the Pier ... so the current is going from East To West - or going out ... or Ebbing ... (not Epping - that's got a forest! ;) )

One minute you're saying you slowed to 6.1 STW (ie on your log) the next you're deciding that you're trying to maintain 6 knots SOG ... which is it Daka - you're getting mighty confused ... are you sure you didn't just get a little too close (just outside spitting range) to the tow vessel at around 6 knots whilst kicking up a significant wash .... ??

You caught me red handed fireball, the harbour master had spotted us attempting to leave when he realized we hadnt paid, I was surprised how quick those little launches are so we headed for rougher water in the hope we could shake him off.............

fireball

Visit site
You caught me red handed fireball, the harbour master had spotted us attempting to leave when he realized we hadnt paid, I was surprised how quick those little launches are so we headed for rougher water in the hope we could shake him off.............

I assume you made it - or do they provide WiFi in prison cells these days?! ;)

DAKA

Visit site
I assume you made it - or do they provide WiFi in prison cells these days?! ;)

Best not set me off on the Prisons ...............

This is not my idea but it makes interesting reading !

Let's put the pensioners in jail and the criminals in a nursing home.

This way the pensioners would have access to showers, hobbies and walks.

They'd receive unlimited free prescriptions, dental and medical treatment, wheel chairs etc and they'd receive money instead of paying it out.

They would have constant video monitoring, so they could be helped instantly, if they fell, or needed assistance.

Bedding would be washed twice a week, and all clothing would be ironed and returned to them.

A guard would check on them every 20 minutes and bring their meals and snacks to their cell.

They would have family visits in a suite built for that purpose.

They would have access to a library, weight room, spiritual counseling, pool and education.

Simple clothing, shoes, slippers, PJ's and legal aid would be free, on request.

Private, secure rooms for all, with an exercise outdoor yard, with gardens.

Each senior could have a PC a TV radio and daily phone calls.

There would be a board of directors to hear complaints, and the guards would have a code of conduct that would be strictly adhered to.

The criminals would get cold food, be left all alone and unsupervised. Lights off at 8pm, and showers once a week. Live in a tiny room and pay £600.00 per week and have no hope of ever getting out.

Last edited:

Tillernut

Visit site
There I was happily minding my own business off Yarmouth when I spotted a Sailing Boat lashed to the side of a launch out in F4-5 wind against tide.
I was just thinking what a complete salock he was for not towing on a 30 m tow line as he shouted slow down at me :eek:

I had seen him struggling in the conditions and I had slowed down about a cable away so I checked my log...............

6.1 knots, (before I attempted again to slow down at his request)

Was his request reasonable ?

At 6 knots the bow drops and we were getting salt spray splashing all over the decks, as soon as we were passed and I opened up to 25 knots we had a dry ride.

I suffered discomfort for this guy and he still shouted at me.

Don't worry. A little bit of salt spray won't hurt?!!!