SLOW DOWN (He screamed)

DAKA

Visit site
There I was happily minding my own business off Yarmouth when I spotted a Sailing Boat lashed to the side of a launch out in F4-5 wind against tide.
I was just thinking what a complete salock he was for not towing on a 30 m tow line as he shouted slow down at me :eek:

I had seen him struggling in the conditions and I had slowed down about a cable away so I checked my log...............

6.1 knots, (before I attempted again to slow down at his request)

Was his request reasonable ?

At 6 knots the bow drops and we were getting salt spray splashing all over the decks, as soon as we were passed and I opened up to 25 knots we had a dry ride.

I suffered discomfort for this guy and he still shouted at me.

rosssavage

Visit site
Dunno - difficult to answer without being there. But, I would have thought F4-5 wind over tide would have produced more lumps and bumps than you at 6.1kn...?

We have similar problems with *some* rowers in the Thames. For a moron minority it would appear that even if I were to motor backwards that would still be too fast.

Ripster

Visit site
Difficult to say, but a cable away as you passed them is a fair distance. Also in F4/5 W over T it will all be fairly lumpy and splashy anyway, so not sure how much your wash would have moved him. As has been said, probably a bit of panic setting on his side, so he may have over reacted maybe.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Side towing gives much better manouverability, but puts a lot of stress on fenders, cleats & warps. I suspect that the conditions were pretty well borderline anyway, so any additional wash could be disatrous.

I would guess that 6ts would be fairly close to your displacement speed so the wash would be pretty noticeable (but less than just before you plane) Did a bit of sea spray & a few seconds lost really hurt that much?

What is it with you that you are unhappy at being courteous to someone clearly frightened? :p Only teasing, before you burst a blood vessel.

fireball

Visit site
There I was happily minding my own business off Yarmouth when I spotted a Sailing Boat lashed to the side of a launch out in F4-5 wind against tide.
I was just thinking what a complete salock he was for not towing on a 30 m tow line as he shouted slow down at me :eek:

I had seen him struggling in the conditions and I had slowed down about a cable away so I checked my log...............

At 6 knots the bow drops and we were getting salt spray splashing all over the decks, as soon as we were passed and I opened up to 25 knots we had a dry ride.

So you slowed down when a cable behind him ... passed close enough to top up his G&T and wondered why he was screaming at you?! Now - if you'd been a cable to the side (there is plenty of room for 4 cables!) then you wouldn't have heard him screaming at you and could've carried on in blissful ignorance ....

ricky_s

Visit site

So you are 600 feet from him and are at sea and it is F4-5.

What is the problem?

jfm

Visit site
Depends how close you were as you passed him. Not a cable, reading your post. You don't actually say how close your CPA was or the relative courses of the boats

That said, I'd expect your wake at 6kts would disappear in the sea-state cased by F4/5 wind against tide. But that's a generalisation; you'd have to be there to say with any greater certainty

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
So you are 600 feet from him and are at sea and it is F4-5.

What is the problem?

No, he says he had slowed to 6kts at a cable, but then carried on, passing close enough to hear the guy over his engines - that's pretty close then isn't it? Just try calling someone verbally at 600ft. And he is still travelling at almost max displacement speed so has to be kicking up a fair wash.

F4-5 might be rough in open sea, but he is later planing at high speed, so it couldn't have been that rough, could it? It's just you're so selective of which bits of info are posted or considered. :cool:

Why are you guys so convinced you never make any wash? :rolleyes: Don't you EVER look behind you at the devastation caused to small craft, which often have low freeboard?

oldgit

Visit site
You kno it makes sense ?

"I suffered discomfort for this guy and he still shouted at me."

Anybody else who boats around the other 99.9999% of the UK coast line fancy starting a fund to pay DAKAs entire mooring fees/ fuel costs/drinks bill on the sole condition he promises never ever to leave the Solent .:):):)

fireball

Visit site
Anybody else who boats around the other 99.9999% of the UK coast line fancy starting a fund to pay DAKAs entire mooring fees/ fuel costs/drinks bill on the sole condition he promises never ever to leave the Solent .:):):)

Any Solent Sailors wanting to contribute to pay Daka's entire mooring fees/fuel costs/drinks bill AND boat upgrade fund - on the sole condition he promises NEVER EVER to enter the Solent?! ;)

T

timbartlett

Side towing gives much better manouverability, but puts a lot of stress on fenders, cleats & warps. I suspect that the conditions were pretty well borderline anyway, so any additional wash could be disatrous.

I would guess that 6ts would be fairly close to your displacement speed so the wash would be pretty noticeable (but less than just before you plane) Did a bit of sea spray & a few seconds lost really hurt that much?

What is it with you that you are unhappy at being courteous to someone clearly frightened? :p Only teasing, before you burst a blood vessel.
Obviously we don't know all the details, and we have only Daka's version of the story but:-
Towing alongside is good in sheltered water, but it's pretty stupid in open water unless there is a very good reason indeed.

6kts is displacement speed for a boat with a LWL of 20ft or less. Daka's Princess 360 is nearly 40ft LOA, probably about 34LWL (guessing), so displacement speed is nearer to 8kt than 6.

And clearly "a bit of sea spray & a few seconds lost" didn't hurt that much, because he'd already slowed down before the shouting started. What probably hurt was that instead of a friendly wave and possibly even a thank-you, he got a mouthful of abuse.

It's this kind of crying wolf (all too common, I'm afraid) that makes motor boaters wonder whether there is any point in being courteous to raggies.

(BTW, I am neither a motor boater nor a sailor: I do both.)

oGaryo

Visit site
I hear rumour that Solent dues are to be levied for any craft that didn't look at the tidal streams, wind strength and direction and judge whether their craft could make headway without endangering the comfort of those around them :D... £10 'per mobo' should cover the cost of coming off the plane and getting back on to it once the incident's been avoided :D:p

Other threads that may be of interest