Hunter, a new to us old timer, a Broom Ocean 37

Greg2

Visit site
It just occurred to me that the shower in the aft heads compartment on our Ocean 37 drained directly into the bilge and was then pumped overboard by a bilge pump. I spent a very unpleasant half day cleaning decades worth of shower detritus from the bilge, which wasn’t easy to access fully. Worth checking if yours is the same and if so install a shower sump or even better a switchable pump with direct discharge overboard.

Alicatt

Visit site
Just being doing a little research on the previous owner of Hunter while I'm awaiting a delivery.
Willem Frederik van Noortwijk, Commodore of a sailing club, Captain of World Masters Hockey, he passed away in November 2020. One of the things he organised was a 300 sailboat flotilla from The Netherlands to Torbay, that is on one of the plaques onboard Hunter.
ISSA mourns former President Wim van Noortwijk

While battling cancer he bought Hunter with the intent to completely restore her.

Alicatt

Visit site
I'm sure it will enjoy its new home and will have your full undivided attention so it doesn't get bored...
Flipke is not mine, it is my son's family and the parrot has moved about 50m from where it was hatched to my son's home.
He was really intrigued by his image in my phone, he would try and beak the image but getting that close he was off the camera, poor thing was getting confused :)
I had budgies when I was a kid and got adopted by a canary about 15 years ago which flew into the garden, I had to give it to my father in law who kept canaries, he had a big aviary in his garden, I could not look after it hopping between UK and Belgium every few weeks.

Alicatt

Visit site
Spent our first night onboard Hunter last night, was fitting a new radio to replace the new radio that had been fitted but does not comply with the Belgian rules.
AIS partly fitted, left the N2000 cable at home for it so will have to go back and finish that at a later date. The Victron Multiplus Compact 24/230 2000VA 80 threw a wobbly last night and would not charge the 24V domestic or start batteries, managed to get it to reset this morning and it is working happily again, the batteries are 2 x 230Ah 12V traction batteries in series giving the 24V, the start batteries are 2 x 100Ah 12V in series and don't they look dainty beside the traction batteries :)

The bed linen and towels etc left by the previous owner are all brand new so I'm washing them at the moment, we got more so we can change the sheets etc. when needed. Found the sun shields for the cabin windows so we had them on the boat last night.
Boat has been cleaned inside and out, so has all the crockery, glasses etc.

Really all we needed was food and drink to set sail, one diesel tank is full the other is sitting at about 80% so roughly 800-850 litres of diesel onboard just now so enough for over 800nm with reserve.

Alicatt

Visit site
Congratulations.
Have fun.
Are you sure about fuel consumption/range sounds to good to be true!
Thanks,
The previous owner said about 5litres/hour per engine at 10knots and rising dramatically above that, where we will be sailing for the next month or so we will be lucky to get up to 7.5 knots with all the speed limits, we have an unrestricted zone about 15km from us after going through 3 sets of locks, about the only time I'll get to push the throttles forward :)

Reactions: SP2

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Thanks,
The previous owner said about 5litres/hour per engine at 10knots and rising dramatically above that, where we will be sailing for the next month or so we will be lucky to get up to 7.5 knots with all the speed limits, we have an unrestricted zone about 15km from us after going through 3 sets of locks, about the only time I'll get to push the throttles forward :)
5l/hour sounds eminently feasible, what rpm do you need for 10 knots though? My lumps burn that at 700rpm which gives about 6.5kts.

Greg2

Visit site
5l/hour sounds eminently feasible, what rpm do you need for 10 knots though? My lumps burn that at 700rpm which gives about 6.5kts.

I am not convinced that 10 litres for both engines an hour when doing 10 knots on a semi-displacement hull such as the Broom Ocean 37 sounds right. That equates to around 4.5 nmpg and whilst that consumption might be a realistic prospect at hull speed, as per your boat, at 10 knots the Broom is digging a bit of a hole in the water. We used to own one and reckoned on a gallon an hour a side at river speeds (ballpark). Our current Hardy is a similar hull and I would be delighted with 10 litres an hour at 10 knots! 😁

I will be interested to see what Alicatt finds when he measures it and would be happy to be wrong, in fact I might well be looking for another Ocean! 😁

Edit: A quick search revealed this thread, which may be of interest.

Last edited:

Alicatt

Visit site
I am not convinced that 10 litres for both engines an hour when doing 10 knots on a semi-displacement hull such as the Broom Ocean 37 sounds right. That equates to around 4.5 nmpg and whilst that consumption might be a realistic prospect at hull speed, as per your boat, at 10 knots the Broom is digging a bit of a hole in the water. We used to own one and reckoned on a gallon an hour a side at river speeds (ballpark). Our current Hardy is a similar hull and I would be delighted with 10 litres an hour at 10 knots! 😁

I will be interested to see what Alicatt finds when he measures it and would be happy to be wrong, in fact I might well be looking for another Ocean! 😁

Seamaster30 sent me his graph last night, from memory it looks like Hunter is doing at least 1.5knots faster at the rev points on his graph.
Could be that having a new propellor fitted and the other cleaned, balanced and matched to the new one made a slight difference, also one turbo was renewed and the other given a full service with new bearings etc.
I would have loved to have played around with the boat a bit more on the test run, but she did perform well.
I have a hand held laser thingy rev counter so will see how that corelates with the rev counters at the helms, I suspect they may be off slightly with the difference in speeds that seamaster30 was getting.

Meanwhile paperwork came through from The Netherlands saying the boat is de registered, so we can't even take her out for a spin there, and Belgian FOD say it is taking around 5 weeks to process the paperwork, so we are about halfway there.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site

That was my point, maybe it wasn't clear. 5L/hour, sure. But how fast will he go for that burn? Hull speed for the broom is probably no more than 7kts.