Show us your mobo!

moonraker 36

Visit site
Sounds good. Do you mean PS rather than PSI? If so I'm guessing it was an oil crunch engine, I'm in that situation. Another thing, have you got a fuel pressure regulator as the rochester (I'm guessing it's a Quadrajet) is happiest with 5 psi of fuel pressure. Sounds very cool though, and I'd love to get my heads, pistons, and cam upgraded eventually, my engine is about 150-200 bhp down because of the damn oil crunch. Already got full length headers and an Edelbrock performer (went for that because it has better performance at low to mid revs, but will probably go for a performer rpm air gap when i upgrade the rest).

what is an oil crunch engine..?
yep the carb is the quadrajet.hav'nt fitted a fuel pressure regulator,but then i hav'nt had any prob's with the carb set up.
no idea what hp the engine is giving out can only guess that it will be over the 300hp mark.
could do with the timing redoing as didnt know about locking the ignition modular down.it as the tunderbolt ignition.

chi-girl

Visit site
my little boat

Photo0532.jpg

a shetland 498 in nr original condition.
she was purchased in 1980 and then put in storage a short while leter and then recommisioned by me last month and i added a new 20hp outboard

what is an oil crunch engine..?
yep the carb is the quadrajet.hav'nt fitted a fuel pressure regulator,but then i hav'nt had any prob's with the carb set up.
no idea what hp the engine is giving out can only guess that it will be over the 300hp mark.
could do with the timing redoing as didnt know about locking the ignition modular down.it as the tunderbolt ignition.
In the early 70's the was an oil scare, like what we're having now I guess, so Chevrolet reduced the power output of their engines by reducing the compression ratio to compensate for it (the 5.7l merc is a 350 small block chevy).

It was a bit of a dumb thing to say to be honest as if you've got new heads and pistons it wouldn't matter even if it was and oil crunch engine. I think the P.S.I. threw me because I've never heard of it to describe the power output of an engine, only for the boost in superchargers/turbos. However, there is P.S. which 1 P.S. = 0.987 B.H.P. So 220 P.S. would be about 218 B.H.P. hence thinking it may have been an oil crunch engine.

moonraker 36

Visit site
In the early 70's the was an oil scare, like what we're having now I guess, so Chevrolet reduced the power output of their engines by reducing the compression ratio to compensate for it (the 5.7l merc is a 350 small block chevy).

It was a bit of a dumb thing to say to be honest as if you've got new heads and pistons it wouldn't matter even if it was and oil crunch engine. I think the P.S.I. threw me because I've never heard of it to describe the power output of an engine, only for the boost in superchargers/turbos. However, there is P.S. which 1 P.S. = 0.987 B.H.P. So 220 P.S. would be about 218 B.H.P. hence thinking it may have been an oil crunch engine.

sorry the p.s.i i was half arsed talking about was the compresstion test i did when it was rebuilt.engine was cold and not run in at the time.it was a 260hp engine when it was standard.sorry for the miss understanding.

sorry the p.s.i i was half arsed talking about was the compresstion test i did when it was rebuilt.engine was cold and not run in at the time.it was a 260hp engine when it was standard.sorry for the miss understanding.
That's cool, still sounds like a great engine, I can't wait to get mine up around the 300bhp mark.

andy59

Visit site
Our new F36 , very happy so far , just sorting out a few niggles and cleaning right through then we are ready for the season, :confused: bugger we missed it ;)
025-1.jpg