Should yacht racing be restricted ?

bigmart

Visit site
Of course I understand that we do not all think the same. You must of course also understand that I have the right to argue my case as vehemently as I deem necessary. It is, of course, impossible for me to respond, with facts, on the individual cases that you have mentioned, because until recently you have seen fit to conceal the facts from us, indeed we still do not have anything like a fair & unbiased view, but I am entitled to draw my own conclusions from the information that I do have. Most of this takes the form of the tone of your posts & gives a clue your attitude to others on the water. As you rightly say(see I do agree with you) the point of this forum is that we should understand each other. The point of my posts are, I have heard your statements & I disagree with you. Furthermore I have not heard anything to change my view.

With regard to racing in other forms. You rightly mention cycling but I assume that you may also be aware that many other sports involve competetive use of public highways. Long distance running, Motor rallying & motorcycling are some that spring to mind. There are obvious dangers if you get involved in a road rally & the frustration at being held up for half an hour while waiting for the local half marathon to Pass may cause the odd heart attack. You wont find me advocating the banning, or restricting, of any of these sports, regardless of the fact that they sometimes annoy & in many cases I personally find them tedious & pointless.

As I have said in an earlier post, beware he that seeks to restrict the freedom of others may deeply regret what he himself loses.

You, of course, did not mention these specific cases & colisions earlier. One has to conclude that, unless there was a successful insurance claim, by yourself, or ratification by officialdom, then your cases had doubtful validity under colision regulations. So far you have not told us if this is the case so, for now, we must draw our own conclusions again.

In contrast to you, it is my contention that the use of the water for all, is a privledge. Attempting to use legislation, to limit the freedom of any section of our society, just leaves the door open for others to hijack the legislation for their own ends. I can visualise the public hearing. ABP stand up & say look, Your Honour, even ordinary yachties admit yacht racing is dangerous. They have lobbied & seen fit, to restrict racing. This is the only justification we need to ban racing in a busy waterway like the Solent. You must agree with us, Your Honour. The economy of Cowes is now almost dead & its only a few years untill they have justified restricting leisure boats in the whole of the Solent.

I must admit you have used an interesting tack to silence me as one of your critics. Our illustrious moderator can silence me if he sees fit. I will not shut up for you. My beef with you is purely that you assume that you as, a presumably older cruising yachty, are superior to those racing sailors you seek to control & definitely better than those ill mannered youngsters whom, you appear to feel, do not give you proper reverence for being a doddery old git, or if you prefer, of advancing years & definitely due for deep genuflexion when you pass. In my book you get respect because you earn it, not because you think you are superior. I am, by nature, extremely wary of people who seek to lump, in your case, all racing sailors & all the young, under headings that relegate them to the lower classes.

If you dissagree with my statements I suggest that you re-read your statements in the post that started this thread.

I am very sorry that you dont like what I have written but I find you attitude pretty abhorrent too.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
As I walked to the toilets at Pwllheli marina today there was a group of maybe 20 teenagers sat on the steps with what I presume to have been an official from the sailing club running a quiz and col regs session. I wandered as slowly as I could without looking to interested in case he called me in to answer questions.

These 'kids' ran rings around my knowledge of code flags etc. I was really impressed and have made a point to go away and do some serious revision.

It was good to see 'young lunatics and hooligans' taking it seriously and most seemingly to have great knowledge as to remain safe and well mannered on the water.

I just wanted to put right the suggestion that young sailors are dangerous or incompetant, that certainly was not what I saw today, congratulations to Pwllheli sailing club for taking the time to educate young racers, the benifits will be to everyone sailing in the area.

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ukstaffords.com>http://www.ukstaffords.com</A>

Observer

Visit site
As a self-appointed arbitrator ...

it seems to me that max is (perhaps understandably in view of his actual experience of 'accidents' he has been involved in with racing yachts) generalising from the particular. Easy to do but, unless supported by other evidence, not rationally justifiable.

Bigmart might consider whether it is useful to jump down the throat of a contributor who he believes is mistaken or misguided. What's the point of expressing a contrary opinion except to seek to persuade the proponent of the first opinion of the "error of his ways"? That's not likely to be achieved by insults - tends to distract from the thrust of the argument. If that's not the purpose then any reply is either showboating or an exercise in self-indulgence.

As far as the subject of the debate is concerned, it seems to me that Eudorajab and BootleBumtrinket have the better view of it.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
Re: As a self-appointed arbitrator ...

I totally agree with you. The reason for my somewhat antagonistic approach to Max Power was purely that I responded to him in the same manner to the tone of his posts. Sublety is often wasted on the arrogant.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

nicho

Visit site

Sorry Martin, but I cannot agree that Max Powers' original post particularly antagonistic or arrogant - I have seen far worse on this forum, but this does not even get a flicker in the Richter Scale. Certainly I would have thought not enough to justify your initial 'attack'...... IMHO, that is.....

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site

e seem to be getting bogged down here with slagging matches. The point being, that in the olden days with very few boats about. Rules or care was unnececary. Now it is much more important for the good of both comunities to plan the races with much more care. Also to have safty boats placed to warn other water uses and direct them to a route specialy left open to them. In my experience Cowes week is just bloody dangerous. Never thought I'd hear my self saying that. I'm normaly against officialdom and rules. But taking over the whole of the Solent. For a load of yachts to cause mayhem is just bloody rediculas. Bit like sudenly deciding to take over the M1 and doing a slalom up and down it.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

nicho

Visit site

Agreed. I mentioned in another part of this thread that I once attempted to get through the mayhem of Cowes week racing whilst travelling from Portsmouth to Yarmouth. It was an intimidating exercise - no matter where I went and how hard I tried to keep out of the way, I was surrounded by racing yachts all seemingly hell bent on keeping to their chosen track regardless of others around them (and I come from a motor sport background, so I do understand their motivations). Racing boats took up just about every inch of available water North of Cowes. Like you, I feel it would be a good idea to leave a portion of the water open, a racing 'no go' area for those that are quietly going about cruising business and who wish to pass East or West without impeding the competition. A few safety boats to give some indication of the safe water passage would be a good idea. Whatever, I'll not be going near them this year, my lady wife did not like the experience one bit.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site

We'll have to agree to differ about the tone of the original post. I get very annoyed at people who claim the moral high ground for themselves whilst advocating controls & legislation for others in lower classes. The comment about the young seeing politeness as a weakness, to me, is the worst type of this attitude. As Max Power says your are entitled to your opinion. Funny how he tried to stop me from voicing mine.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>

qsiv

Visit site
<<after being struck twice by racing boats >>

By definition then you also failed on two occasions in your obligations under the ColRegs. There is never, ever, any excuse for a collision between two boats. There is a simple overriding imperative to avoid collision at all times under any circumstances. Whilst in no way condoning racers who through either ignorance or wilfullnes disregard ColRegs, there is a duty and obligation on both parties, and once a collision has occured both parties are explicitly culpable.

The old merchant service ditty of 'If in danger or in doubt, slow her stop her, back her out' still has relevance.

<hr width=100% size=1>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
So what your saying is. We all have to pick our words very carefully before posting on here. Even maybe see a solicitor or experianced jounalist in order to avoid attacks from folks like you.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

qsiv

Visit site
It wasnt intended as an attack at all.

All I was trying to say is that allowing a collision to take place is in itself a breach of ColRegs, and rather dilutes the value of criticism aimed at the other skipper. The original author seemed to be wearing the collisions as a badge of honour, and implying how wrong it was of the racers. My point was that for the collision to have happened two people had to have been in breach of ColRegs, not just one.

By their very nature collisions present significant danger to both yachts - the quantity of kinetic energy that may be disipated can be vast, and in even gentle breezes injury is likely - just as happened when the two Challenge yachts T-boned each other a year or so ago.

<hr width=100% size=1>

jimi

Visit site
What us non racers really need is a huge big wind tunnel fan that we can position on our boats that we can point at the buggers!

<hr width=100% size=1>
saltire 2.gif

jimi

Visit site
.. or mines, we can paint 'em yellow and sell them as racing marks/forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1>
saltire 2.gif

Celena

Visit site
I have sailed in the Solent for 20 years without really any problems, HOWEVER, I never go near the Solent during Cowes week or RTIR. The biggest danger, in my opinion is all the unlit yellow buoys that forces one to keep to the shipping lanes.

Perhaps yacht racing should be restricted to certain weekends (like clay-pidgeon shooting, for instance) or somewhere less congested, say Christchurch Bay or off Hayling Island?

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jools_of_Top_Cat

Visit site
somewhere less congested.... frankly I am absolutely chuffed that it stays down there in the solent, don't be thinking of moving any of it, sailing in open water is not all its cracked up to be, you should all stay down there and enjoy the fun. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

<hr width=100% size=1><font color=blue> Julian </font color=blue>

max_power

Visit site
<<By definition then you also failed on two occasions in your obligations under the ColRegs. There is never, ever, any excuse for a collision between two boats.>>

You are quite right to remind us of this rule under the colregs, which in effect says whatever the situation ( stand on or not) avoid a collision at all costs. It would be too long winded for me to recite the two incidents in full, but can assure you that every effort was made to avoid contact with this knowledge in mind.

By the way QSIV, are you related to , or perhaps have a boat share with Bigmart ?

I would like to take this opportunity of thanking fellow posters who have supported me throughout this thread. I would like also to thank those that have not, so that I can at least understand what is in their minds by way of personal experiences/facts etc . It is unfortunate that one contributor still cannot back up his rather unfortunate turn of phrase's towards me into facts that I can understand, appreciate and possibly learn from. Other than wishing that his mast falls down and his boat sinks next time he goes sailing I want to say now that I hold no ill toward him. The same goes to QSIV who I hold nothing against but hope he is with Bigmart on the same day.

<hr width=100% size=1>

bigmart

Visit site
Let me say now Max Power, I wish you no harm. To be honest with you, it sounds like, you have enough bad luck for all of us.

I cannot remember the exact clause in the Col. Regs & I do not feel the need to clutch the book to my side on all occaisions, but I do seem to recall there is an, If in doubt Chicken out clause, which basically says, if the give way vessel fails to comply with his responsibility then the stand on vessel should take action. I suppose this is the part that QSIV is referring to. BTW to my knowledge QSIV & I have never met or previously conversed in any way.

Now that you have had two extremely close encounters with racing vessels perhaps, remember I do not know all the facts because you do deem it necessary to share them with us, it is time to re-examine your understanding of the Col. Regs.. I suggest this on the once is a mistake, twice is careless a third encounter may be indicative of a more basic flaw.

My only beef with you is that you see racing sailors & the youth as second class citizens, whose freedom, as a superior person, you have the right to restrict. The main problem is that, if you manage to restrict the freedom of some, you will ultimately ruin the rights of all.

Most of us who sail safely through the Solent avoid the obvious bottlenecks like the yellow racing buoys, which are clearly charted & the start lines, which are usually obvious, because of the activity & boats which concentrate there. Personally, in 25 years of sailing that area, I have never had the type of experiences you describe & I am not in the habit of avoiding Cowes week or any other major gathering. The other phrase that springs to mind is the old "As you give so shall you receive" & you certainly receive a lot.

I wish you good sailing. Maybe we will meet sometime.

Martin

<hr width=100% size=1>