Selling-up Or Sailing North. Is the British Overseas Liveaboard A Dying Breed - If so why❓

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Your para 4 was very much our experience. They didn’t have a lot of money but enough to support their chosen life style. Progressive drawer down on pension was one source of income and downsizing the property in the UK another. Some supplemented their boat existence with a motor home to explore further afield in shore.

Agree your take on the age divide.

Younger folk move around more but as they grow older they either return to the Old Country or progressively put down roots and loosen their links with the UK - their olde generation has moved on and their younger generation is more self sufficient.

There is a third stage, where advancing years, health, diminishing finances etc. force a rethink and another tranche move back to the Old Country. The balance die in situ, ashore. Very few die on their boats.

For the future, I believe this situation will continue but I expect for a variety of reasons there will be fewer ‘youngsters’ embarking on many years away. Rather, a midlife (3 to 5 year) adventure before returning to the UK.

Only time will tell but many of us will not be around to see it.☹

"
Only time will tell but many of us will not be around to see it "

My god you a cheerful guy .

dslittle

Visit site
This idea that most liveaboards are resident in an EU country, and own a car, and have a permanent marina berth, and spend several months of each year back home, doesn't at all square with our experience. It's only ever going to be true for the older generation who can afford to do that.

You have just described us to a T.

Thanks for reminding me how old I’ve become!!!