Seeing Out - Why is not more popular!! Deck Saloons

maby

Visit site
Moody Deck Saloon? It's a mighty ugly beast but, having been on one, I think I could develop a blind spot for its looks...

maby

Visit site
Looks lovely but I'm not sure its the perfect boat for Scotland!!

We're just about to get a cockpit enclosure fitted to ours - looking forward to being able to relax in that massive cockpit on bright winters days. Also will make up for the total lack of wet lockers in modern boats!

wully1

Visit site
So why no proper weather?? Windows? Windage? Too light weight?

So maybe you are underestimating the capabilities of your Eclipse?

It's not the boats capabilities I'm concerned about.... I get no joy whatsoever from being thrown about in a big sea- I grew out of that a long time ago. ( also slightly worried about the windows... )

wully1

Visit site
Moody Deck Saloon? It's a mighty ugly beast but, having been on one, I think I could develop a blind spot for its looks...

There are plenty of much fuglier boats out there.....and I think she only looks out or proportion from beam on- which I cant see what Im sailing and generally don't see when I row away from her at anchor.

( I also thin the Beneteau 'Sense' makes none whatsoever. Well, not as a boat in this country. Would be nice in the Med though- where most saily boats these days seem to be more at home.

Last edited:

michael_w

Visit site
The Southerlys and the Regina and others of that ilk stuff the saloon seating into the space contained within the coachroof. The result is a cramped saloon with a surfit of stowage underneath the sidedecks. Often the seating is on one side only, a bit like Leanardo's Last Supper. (if you want to be in the picture, you have to sit on the same side of the table!).

The alternative, as practiced by Oyster is to regard the raised coachroof as a clerestory, giving light and space. For steering in dirty weather, hide under the spray hood with the autopilot controls close to hand.

Stingo

Visit site
Get a catamaran.
I was down on my boat last weekend fixing stuff. Nice for a while then pouring with rain. So decide to eat my lunch below and realise that I am looking at the other side of the inside of the boat while I am relaxing.

I also suffer from mild seasickness, but not when I am sailing the boat. I only seem to suffer when down below in the marina!!

So my thought process went along the lines of this:

When I trade up from my Parker 275 in 5-10 years for a boat in which I can cruise long distances (Norway, Azores, Atlantic?) I should get a nice deck saloon so when I am at anchor in a Norwegian fjord and it is freezing cold I can see the view out the window. About 35 feet.

Also if I am single handing then I could spend some time inside and keep watch.

So then I started looking at the boats that are available and find that it is a niche area.

The normal candidates for a reasonable displacement cruiser either British - Rustler, Vancouver etc or Scandanavian H Rassy, Malo etc mainly you cant see out the windows.

I came up with Nordship, Sirius, Nauticat (the sailing ones), Southerly and not much more. All expensive! And the lack of choice leaves me wondering if they are a bad idea!

So my question is why is everyone keen to have dark saloons where they cant see out. Seaworthiness I suppose and the difficulty of fitting this shape in to a boat under 40 feet.

So should my dream boat (well practical dream) be a Nordship 35 or just stick with the mainstream and buy a Malo 36!!??!

Cheers

Rob

maby

Visit site
There are plenty of much fuglier boats out there.....and I think she only looks out or proportion from beam on- which I cant see what Im sailing and generally don't see when I row away from her at anchor.

( I also thin the Beneteau 'Sense' makes none whatsoever. Well, not as a boat in this country. Would be nice in the Med though- where most saily boats these days seem to be more at home.

A Sense in southern England works fine - we have far less rain that we actually believe we do! The cockpit enclosure is more to keep the sun off than the rain. I sit in my cockpit well into the autumn and winter working.

pmagowan

sites.google.com
The Southerlys and the Regina and others of that ilk stuff the saloon seating into the space contained within the coachroof. The result is a cramped saloon with a surfit of stowage underneath the sidedecks. Often the seating is on one side only, a bit like Leanardo's Last Supper. (if you want to be in the picture, you have to sit on the same side of the table!).

The alternative, as practiced by Oyster is to regard the raised coachroof as a clerestory, giving light and space. For steering in dirty weather, hide under the spray hood with the autopilot controls close to hand.

Yes, I like the idea of it but I can't find a scenario where the compromised would not be too great for me. I don't like the seating arrangement with one side of the table unused. I don't like how it wastes space and prevents good access to aft cabins. I don't like the high superstructure or the elevated weight distribution. I worry about large windows in a significant sea etc.

I like the idea of having the cockpit seating going right round all 4 sides so that you effectively have a seat under the sprayhood, in the gangway, looking forward. You could easily create autopilot access from here and you would be able to see the chart table and plotter. You would be warm and dry. Get a good cover for the cockpit and when you arrive somewhere and conditions are less tha perfect you can create a spacious and semi-outdoor arrangment for dining. You could even have a heater vent to the helm position. When the weather is so shonet that you can't cope outdoors then down below in the ambience of candles and oil lamps will be quite adequate. After all, it is a boat not a gin palace!

maby

Visit site
It's not the boats capabilities I'm concerned about.... I get no joy whatsoever from being thrown about in a big sea- I grew out of that a long time ago. ( also slightly worried about the windows... )

You don't go out in big seas - you stay safely moored in a quiet bay or estuary and enjoy the views through those big windows!

wully1

Visit site
You don't go out in big seas - you stay safely moored in a quiet bay or estuary and enjoy the views through those big windows!

Exactly. Wearing slippers. With something nice slowly cooking in the oven.

I just wish there was space for a Reflex heater instead of the Eberspacher..

I'm off out in the next hour or so. The northerlies are due to stay for a few more days and I'm not looking forward to the beat I'll need to do for my cruise plan. It's going to be chilly, but do I care?

maby

Visit site
Exactly. Wearing slippers. With something nice slowly cooking in the oven.

I just wish there was space for a Reflex heater instead of the Eberspacher..

I'm off out in the next hour or so. The northerlies are due to stay for a few more days and I'm not looking forward to the beat I'll need to do for my cruise plan. It's going to be chilly, but do I care?

Quite coincidentally, I'm sitting in our Sense wearing slippers right now! :) Something nice was slow cooking in the oven earlier and I've been working all day - far more enjoyable than sitting in the office! It's just started raining hard and my cat has beaten a retreat from the cockpit and is sitting scrunched up in the box that serves as his bed - how can you get better?

roblpm

Visit site

Crikey whats a clerestory? Sounds great, I want one!!

Colvic Watson

Visit site
There's bit of misunderstanding about deck saloons and wheelhouses. For us as a young family, there is nothing that comes close to a wheelhouse. It's the hub of life on board, on a nice day there's the aft deck to use as a cockpit but we love passages in the wheelhouse, people come and go, take a turn on watch - fun for all if it's the 3 year old ;) A child will have a snooze of have a go at the chute winch; food and drink is passed up from the galley; everyone wears shorts and t shirts, except in December when maybe a pullover as well. On a hot day with the doors and all the windows open is a great place but not as good as a cockpit on a perfect day.

A bit of a chill? No one moves, it's a nice place to be, a bit of rain? No one moves, it's a nice place to be. Children are safe and involved in navigation and piloting. The view all around is awesome and at anchor there's nothing like it.

One day we may have another boat, one thing it will have is a wheelhouse. Sure it adds windage, it gets hot on a blistering day no matter how many windows you have open and windows need a wipe down after salt spray has dried. But there nothing like it. Maybe one day Ben/Jen/Bav will realise how family friendly it is and do a range with them. I doubt it, meanwhile a good high pilothouse or a wheelhouse is a well kept secret.

roblpm

Visit site
What about a Cat? I can be below in mine and see all round or in the wheelhouse ...............

I have vague notions of going across the North sea, to the faroes etc and the received wisdom on here is that i will capsize and die within minutes of leaving port in a cat!!

I think the answer is 5-10 years of the north Atlantic in a coffin

Then a tradewind circumnavigation in a cat!!

Caer Urfa

groups.yahoo.com
So should my dream boat (well practical dream) be a Nordship 35 or just stick with the mainstream and buy a Malo 36!!??!

Cheers

Rob

Hi Rob You can be a dreamer all your life but for value for money get yourself a real offshore boat, a Colvic Watson, larger sizes come as 28'-6",31'-6" or a 34'-6", if you like 'real sailing' don't buy the AC version (aft cabin), if you think and hear they are slow then you have never sailed one !!:)

BUT, do your home work if you decide to view one!

Good luck
Mike