Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

Seajet

Visit site
Simondjuk,

fair enough and that's a good way to treat things like cross-Channel jaunts; though for this Poole trip I sorted out the tides and dates and contacted East Cowes, Lymington and Poole marinas well beforehand; if it looks like a fair few boats will be tagging along it seems a sensible thing to arrange.

Also there needs to be a safety net in case someone ' tagging along under their own judgement ' has a serious problem, for instance in the event of a MOB it would be handy if others were close by, as you say faster boats sailing slowly for loose formation purposes.

PhillM

Visit site
Without diminishing all the effort put in by Phill, Russell and others, for which we're all appreciative, simply saying 'I'm heading to wherever on whenever if anyone wants to tag along.' is sufficient to kick off a sail in company and/or meet up.

I cannot speak for Ru$$ell buit it doesn't take that much effort. I'd have been looking at tides for my trip anyway. I would have touched base with the harbours to check space, checking weather, etc. In fact, I am doing just that for my trips this weekend and I would expect any other skipper to do the same.

I doubt I would create a spotters guide for myself only, because I have a goods idea what I look like!

BTW I do think Andy, Seajet deserves some credit for this year's trip. He kept the idea and thread alive when Ru$$ell was away and I was swamped with the refit.

I sugest that anyone worried about liability from offering a schedule or opinion simply needs to add a disclaimer to their sig. Personally, everyone knows I'm a novice with a MAB so anything I say doesnt really count :)

Moody Nick's idea of simply suggesting a resturant and date to be there sounds good.

I propose here for 1st September 2015:

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_...r_Saint_Paul_Parish_Antigua_Antigua_and_.html

Mudisox

Visit site
That sounds like a good way of taking on more nautical responsibility, not less. Plus I'd rather be tucking into a full english on my own boat than listening to someone telling me how to get to Poole :)

I'd rather see a cruise/rally/jaunt where someone is willing to organise the shoreside arrangements (perhaps a different person for each port would be good) and we can make our own seagoing plans to get there. I am quite certain that any beginners unsure of their plans will be given all the help they need by their fellow sailors, without needing an official briefing.

Pete

+1

Only need to know when and where to meet up, and what to bring. I'll run my own boat thank you, but I am able to help others if they want it. The point is to have company to ease the butterflies and/or to socialize with.

chubby

www.flickr.com
I am so embarrassed that when I saw the photos leaving Poole, guess who was aground in the background and I didn`t notice, so busy hoisting sail, taking photos in the other direction and keeping lookout, never mind I am sure Laundryman floated off soon after!

ronmarson

Visit site
Hi Chubby and all the Scuttlebutt to Poole crew,
Yes I did escape, after a split main needing a 2 day wait for repairs, then 2 nights spent back in Newtown waiting for the weather, (but I found the pub.)
A quick dash back to Poole, where I anchored in South Deep, then in the fog I ran onto the mud on one of the sharp corners and I spent the day smiling at the ferry passengers as they passed and pretending to fish.
Got away the next day and made Weymouth just before the weather broke.
There are so many pubs in Weymouth and the weather was just too bad for Portland Bill that eventually we had quite a flotilla rafted up and we all became friends.
Finally the weather and the tide relented and left me no option but to go. I had a berth sorted at Axmouth and after a very frightening time in the narrow channel and an hour spent waiting to float off the shingle bank just inside the harbor, I left the boat there to go home to Ireland to return in early June to continue my stagger along the south coast.
I will read the plans for next years Poole trip and spend many hours trying to work out how I can be with you, but I know it will all be in vain.
Thanks to you all for the trip, if you missed it this year, take my advice, don't miss next year.
Capt.RoN

Zagato

Visit site
Sounds an eventful trip Ron, keep us posted on the rest of the trip. I have family in Mylor if you fancy a bed & booze.

The trip has ruined my sailing ;) I was quite happy to plod around inside Chi Harbour but now I have to get into the Solent. Hoping to go to Bembridge on Tuesday after the Bank Holiday once the crowds subside and may go further a field as I have all week to play. New Town will defintely be on the short list.

Last edited:

Zagato

Visit site
Er that's a point, did you remember to drop the photographer back off somewhere Chubby, is he still stranded at Hurst Castle or have you got him tied up somewhere :eek:

Simondjuk

Visit site
:D
DSC_0775_zpsad51542f.jpg

ronmarson

Visit site
Well, I made it to Ireland, at last.
I had a great time, met loads of very friendly people, went aground many times, drank lots of strange 'real' ale, spent 3 days hanging off a buoy in St. Mawes unable to get ashore because of the wind, eventually was joined by two very competent sailors in Newlyn and they got me across the big bit.
I left the boat in Kinsale to go home to cut the grass and see the family, I go to explore the west Cork coast starting Sunday.
By the way, I saw no Dragons and I was well off the end of the map. Maybe I was lucky or maybe they are a figment of the imagination or those too scared to leave the Solent.
Capt. RoN

Laundryman

Live in Hemel Hempstead, Boat is in Haslar.
Visit site
Well done. What an achievement! You should be able to dine out on that story for the rest of your life. Bitten by the bug, Lustyd and I are doing Cherbourg and the Channel Islands in Sept. Chubby's off on his travels too showing off his new scatter cushions but Zagato has gone quiet ( must be buying another boat ). Must be worth a reunion next year. All the best. Alan

ronmarson

Visit site
Alan,
Not sure if I would sail across the Celtic Sea again, but I might take you up on your offer as crew. Could it be as good as this year?
Wonderful memories.
BTW. if you ever get the chance to get into Axmouth Sailing Club they are the friendliest and most industrious sailors I have ever met. Well worth the trials and tribulations of negotiating the bar and the twisty entrance. Check their CCTV for the full story of the moving entrance channel.
Safe sailing,
Capt. RoN