Scuttlebutt Solent to Poole Cruise - Spring 2013

lustyd

Visit site
Alan,
Not sure if I would sail across the Celtic Sea again, but I might take you up on your offer as crew. Could it be as good as this year?
Wonderful memories.
BTW. if you ever get the chance to get into Axmouth Sailing Club they are the friendliest and most industrious sailors I have ever met. Well worth the trials and tribulations of negotiating the bar and the twisty entrance. Check their CCTV for the full story of the moving entrance channel.
Safe sailing,
Capt. RoN

Well done Ron, glad to hear all went well. The Celtic sea is not always bad, I believe only 3/4 of the times I've been on it it's been terrible, the other time was lovelly!

ronmarson

Visit site
Well done Ron, glad to hear all went well. The Celtic sea is not always bad, I believe only 3/4 of the times I've been on it it's been terrible, the other time was lovelly!

Next time you are in that area please look for my breakfast, I think I left it there.
It was cold, overcast, not overly rough but a very confused sea, and lots of porpoises.
Happy to be this side of it and looking forward to West Cork sailing, and pints of Guinness.
But as Mr. Bogart once said, "We'll always have Poole."
Capt. RoN

Zagato

Visit site
Well, I made it to Ireland, at last.
I had a great time, met loads of very friendly people, went aground many times, drank lots of strange 'real' ale, spent 3 days hanging off a buoy in St. Mawes unable to get ashore because of the wind, eventually was joined by two very competent sailors in Newlyn and they got me across the big bit.
I left the boat in Kinsale to go home to cut the grass and see the family, I go to explore the west Cork coast starting Sunday.
By the way, I saw no Dragons and I was well off the end of the map. Maybe I was lucky or maybe they are a figment of the imagination or those too scared to leave the Solent.
Capt. RoN

Sounds an epic experience Ron, well done mate, very envious.

Zagato

Visit site
Zagato has gone quiet ( must be buying another boat ).

Well if any one wants to trade up from a Shrimper I'd be interested ;)

I've been out on the boat for 3 nights most weeks for the last couple of months. Great being self employed ;) and the weather is superb of course, can't get enough of it. Also been on two other rallies with the Crabber & Drascombe guys. Going down to the boat tomorrow to eventually stay in Emsworth Marina on Saturday night with the family after a play on the beach at Hayling. The Poole rally seems a long way a way but I shall never forget my first proper sailing experience... Hope to be more relaxed on the next one...

prv

Visit site
My September copy of YM has arrived, complete with write up of this cruise.

Mine too.

A bit embarrassed to find myself described as the most experienced sailor - something I would never claim and am certain is not true. I think Laura must have put two and two together and come up with about nine! But then again according to the chartlet in the article the whole fleet sailed straight over the Shingles, so accuracy in general clearly up to IPC's usual standards :p

Pete

chubby

www.flickr.com
Very selective photography: Too many pictures of my stern! Half the dodger in the picture from Berthon and one ball in the Newtown photo!, I do have two! Guess the penalty for having the many of the photos taken from Dabchick, also no photos of Alan's epic breakfast! As to the rescue of Black Pearl, I was just deciding which warp to use when the fishing boat eager to help a damsel in distress pushed in the way: bet if it was a bloke they would just have carried on fishing! Anyway less than a month to the Cherbourg trip!

Ru88ell

Visit site
Very selective photography: Too many pictures of my stern! Half the dodger in the picture from Berthon and one ball in the Newtown photo!, I do have two! Guess the penalty for having the many of the photos taken from Dabchick, also no photos of Alan's epic breakfast! As to the rescue of Black Pearl, I was just deciding which warp to use when the fishing boat eager to help a damsel in distress pushed in the way: bet if it was a bloke they would just have carried on fishing! Anyway less than a month to the Cherbourg trip!

And I really can't imagine 7 being onboard Live Magic at once. I think it was Mordor we were on.

prv

Visit site
Very selective photography: Too many pictures of my stern! Half the dodger in the picture from Berthon and one ball in the Newtown photo!, I do have two! Guess the penalty for having the many of the photos taken from Dabchick

At least you're (partially) in some pictures - I don't think Ariam's there at all!

Pete

prv

Visit site
Serves you right for racing off into the distance. :p

Humph. I deliberately set up several strafing runs towards Dabchick during the photoshoot in the hope of giving the photographer an attractive target!

I think he took several photos which ought to be decent, but none published AFAIK.

Pete

lustyd

Visit site
I'll have you all know that Live Magic can easily accomodate 7 very close friends :D And has a bar to match!