Saving Money

BruceDanforth

Visit site
It is just based on the number of brand new deltas without even a scratch on the stickers around the place on bow rollers that have clearly never been in the water.

I generally only go into the marina, at Amble, if there is a swell coming in from the North East otherwise I drop the hook. Some of the anchorages (about half) I use I have never seen another boat in them.

Seems a very bizarre assertion. But if it were true, I guess that's no bad thing. Means more space in anchorages for me :)

Pete

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
Most people are never going to anchor anyway so it doesn't make any difference what they have.
Which brings us neatly back to the OP;

You can save a lot of money by anchoring, be it with a super-duper latest inflatable anchor or a tyre full of concrete.

Strange how people get so wound up over anchors, of all things.
Exactly, it's a shame that any thread remotely to do with anchoring always degenerates into a 'my anchor is better than yours' contest.
I deliberately didn't say what type of anchor I have, only that I upsized it and lengthened the chain, as where I was expecting to anchor there could be a 12mtr rise and whilst using 30mtrs of chain plus warp is perfectly ok, I have a hassle with warp on my gypsy.

dslittle

Visit site
LustyD,

you'll love this; I mark my anchor warp in fathoms ( 6' ) as metres are too frequent and mean too many marks.

The marking system is obvious to an experienced sailor but is explained anyway on briefing new crew.

Unless Tom Cunliffe is a mate of Gene Roddenberry I reckon I need to know how many fathoms / metres / hectares of rode I have out.

Why don't people just use the chain counter???

SolentBoat

Visit site
Ah. That's what I'm doing wrong - I was completely unaware of these critical final steps.

I've never got round to marking out the chain; just sort of guess metre lengths as I lay it out on the deck. Don't even know what sort of anchor I've got!

I had a look yesterday; I think it's a "Bruce" anchor. It seems to work most of the time. At least, it works sufficiently often and predictably that I won't be looking for a new high tech one.

dunedin

Visit site
If I need to know exactly how deep the water is, I use my echosounder or a gauge. If I need to predict it I use rule of twelfths and a foot for luck.

Very true. Tom C or somebody was implying one needed to fiddle around with curves for the Yachtmaster exam - not something I plan to do, but seemed sadly over theoretical unless it is a location known to be very odd tides.
Pressure, wind direction, waves - and old soundings mean anything too precise ..... well probably isn't

The mistakes I have made with tide heights tend to have been more basic - anchoring in New Zealand after 30 hours of flying, then waking in a panic realising in my tiredness I had completely forgotten to check tide heights. Or accidentally using the wrong month reading HW from the tables. Fancy calculations, or fancy anchors, don't help with dim humans ;-)