Saving Money

lustyd

Visit site
I would love to photograph the expression on any decent instructors' face !

Do you mean an experienced instructor, or an instructor who is set in his ways with old fashioned equipment and methods? If you can do something to cause a decent modern anchor to not set I'd be impressed.

SolentBoat

Visit site
LustyD,
Of course I do pour a whisky over the side for Neptune and Morris Dance on the foredeck to ensure it holds. :)

Ah. That's what I'm doing wrong - I was completely unaware of these critical final steps.

I've never got round to marking out the chain; just sort of guess metre lengths as I lay it out on the deck. Don't even know what sort of anchor I've got!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
With a modern anchor you just sling it over with the correct size anchor and chain then have some G&T before bed.

I know, I know. Some people make such a fuss, don't they? I've even heard of people using "sails" to get about when everyone knows that with a modern diesel you can get even more time for G&Ts before bed.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I've never got round to marking out the chain; just sort of guess metre lengths as I lay it out on the deck. Don't even know what sort of anchor I've got!

I bought a new chain a couple of years back and only got round to marking it this year. I was interested to see that my estimated length were waaaaaay too generous. What I had thought was 15m of chain (it was lying on deck after moving from an anchorage to a pontoon) was actually 25m. Now that the chain is marked properly I seem to be using a disconcertingly small amount. Doesn't seem to both the nice, modern CQR at the other end, which does its stuff very nicely.

lustyd

Visit site
I know, I know. Some people make such a fuss, don't they? I've even heard of people using "sails" to get about when everyone knows that with a modern diesel you can get even more time for G&Ts before bed.

Actually your argument is more like using old flappy sails rather than modern fabric well cut ones. Nobody would argue that the boat won't move with the poor sails but very few would suggest performance is on a par with the good ones. For some reason with anchors it's different and all the oldies insist they are just as good despite (usually on the same thread) having to explain how to use them and that both chain and anchor need to be upsized...

lustyd

Visit site
I bought a new chain a couple of years back and only got round to marking it this year. I was interested to see that my estimated length were waaaaaay too generous. What I had thought was 15m of chain (it was lying on deck after moving from an anchorage to a pontoon) was actually 25m. Now that the chain is marked properly I seem to be using a disconcertingly small amount. Doesn't seem to both the nice, modern CQR at the other end, which does its stuff very nicely.

Using Tom Cunliffe's method you don't need to know how many metres of rode are out. Put a mark on the rode for every metre of depth using your own calculation and ratio and then you can count out the same number of marks as the depth on the display (plus one for height of bow). It's nice too because when you switch to rope halfway the marks can be further apart if you like and you still just count them the same.

Seajet

Visit site
LustyD,

you'll love this; I mark my anchor warp in fathoms ( 6' ) as metres are too frequent and mean too many marks.

The marking system is obvious to an experienced sailor but is explained anyway on briefing new crew.

Unless Tom Cunliffe is a mate of Gene Roddenberry I reckon I need to know how many fathoms / metres / hectares of rode I have out.

sighmoon

Visit site
For some reason with anchors it's different and all the oldies insist they are just as good despite (usually on the same thread) having to explain how to use them and that both chain and anchor need to be upsized...

I use a recommended size CQR and do nothing more sophisiticated than chucking it in the briny while reversing. Even with gusts up to 40kts, it hasn't dragged.

IMHO, comments like this are very unhelpful to the inexperienced who might think they need to upgrade their anchor when they don't. (I was one such - but the previous owner talked me out of it). Maybe a Rocna is better, but that doesn't mean a CQR isn't good enough.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
For some reason with anchors it's different and all the oldies insist they are just as good despite (usually on the same thread) having to explain how to use them and that both chain and anchor need to be upsized...

I expect a Spade or a Manson would set faster than my CQR, but it works fine and I don't feel any pressing need to change. Other people might, and that's just fine by me.

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I had an 8mm anchor chain break in a gale on the Clyde. There was a 20lb CQR at the other end of it.

Dodgy chain, then.

My old boat had a CQr. It dragged a few times and also sometimes need another go or two to get it to set.

New boat has a Spade. Let it go, it sets. It's not dragged yet, although I haven't experienced a Glasgow gale.

Mudisox

Visit site
Getting back to the original point, we managed a 3 week cruise to Brittany and Channel Isles this year with only 4 marina nights [elect and water needed by SWMBO], and cost would have been halved if we didn't go ashore to eat. SWMBO reckoned that 2 nights at Anchor/ dried out paid for the meal ashore. One saving that was not taken into account was the lack of putting petrol in the car at home.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Dodgy chain, then.

Quite likely. I have a new chain now.

My old boat had a CQr. It dragged a few times and also sometimes need another go or two to get it to set.

New boat has a Spade. Let it go, it sets. It's not dragged yet, although I haven't experienced a Glasgow gale.

Sounds great. Not worth the cost to me, though, and this thread is about saving money, is it not? It's not s straight choice between "posh new anchor" and "staying in marinas", whatever the Solent boys might think.

Slow_boat

My own cosy little world where nice things happen
Visit site
When we started our 'long summer' in May we replaced the 10kg Bruce and 20 meters of chain we used on the East coast with a 12kg Kobra and what I thought was 40 meters of chain bought from another forumite. The Kobra seems to work just fine but the chain turned out to be 70 meters. We were so down by the bow that I chopped it back to 50 meters, which is more than I'd want to haul in by hand anyway. Seems to work just fine on our 6.5 ton Countess and it has more than paid for itself.

PS we use the same tactic as the OP and never stay more than 3 nights anywhere. Going West it just gets better and better and there are loads of sheltered anchorages.

JomsViking

Visit site
So basically every 2 metres (or 1.83 m) :)

Since my charts + sounders is in metres I can't fathom using anything else for marking.

LustyD,

you'll love this; I mark my anchor warp in fathoms ( 6' ) as metres are too frequent and mean too many marks.

The marking system is obvious to an experienced sailor but is explained anyway on briefing new crew.

Unless Tom Cunliffe is a mate of Gene Roddenberry I reckon I need to know how many fathoms / metres / hectares of rode I have out.

Resolution

Visit site
I chucked out the original CQR about 5 years ago having often had trouble getting it to dig in (mainly lunchtime stuff in Osborne bay). The replacement Delta has been much easier to deploy, both on deck and in the seabed.

This summer we have been having a fantastic time in the Stockholm archipelago and have spent nearly 50 nights at anchor. Apart from one location when we simply could not get it to dig in - it kept coming back up dripping thin mud, presumably with a smooth rock underneath - we had absolutely no dragging or disturbances. Top winds were about 35 knots, but of course they have no tides to worry about, so you lay out three times depth and hit the G&T.

lustyd

Visit site
I use a recommended size CQR and do nothing more sophisiticated than chucking it in the briny while reversing. Even with gusts up to 40kts, it hasn't dragged.

IMHO, comments like this are very unhelpful to the inexperienced who might think they need to upgrade their anchor when they don't. (I was one such - but the previous owner talked me out of it). Maybe a Rocna is better, but that doesn't mean a CQR isn't good enough.

Ah the traditional anecdote saying that because your CQR never drags and always resets when the tide turns they must be fine. Unfortunately the sheer weight of anecdote and real evidence to the contrary makes it pointless but an anchor thread just wouldn't be the same without it. There are videos on the web showing why CQR is a poor anchor with it snaking accross the seabed due to the hinge. You may think my comment unhelpful, but if it gives one sailor a better night sleep after they change I can live with that.

Why do you care what length of rode you have out? If you need it to be 3x depth then mark at intervals 3x what's on the guage or chart (metres, feet or fathoms make no difference). As long as you know there is sufficient rode out for the depth the actual number of metres is irrelevant, and it's considerably easier to keep counting in ones when you get to the rope!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Ah the traditional anecdote saying that because your CQR never drags and always resets when the tide turns they must be fine.

It certainly sounds fine for him.

There are videos on the web showing why CQR is a poor anchor with it snaking accross the seabed due to the hinge.

Yeah, yeah, and there are people who use them without problems. The trouble with anchor tests, and videos, is that they can only ever cover an extremely limited and artificial range of conditions. If CQRs were as terrible as you think, wouldn't that have been discovered over the past fifty years? Wouldn't everyone have stopped using them?

I have no doubt that a Spade, Bugel or Manson works better than a CQR, but for many of us a CQR works well enough, and that's really what matters.

timmygobang

www.todayiboughtaboat.eu
Ok Question - If everyone's chucking all their chain over the side, instead of measuring out what they teach you say on a day skipper course (which is all I have to go on), how will I know what is a safe distance to anchor from my nearest neighbour who's scope could be more than required?

Should I just assume everyone has chucked 50m of chain over the side everywhere I go?