Saved from the bonfire...new project!

Iain C

Visit site
Although I enjoy slow relaxed cruising in the Sabre, my dinghy sailing tends to be a bit faster...the 49er or foiling Moth being the weapon of choice these days. At my inland club we also have a lot of Flying Fifteens...(prepare for tongue in cheek sweeping generalisation) usually sailed by gentlemen of a certain age, around the course, and into other boats. Granted they are quite pretty, but they've never really been my thing. Until a few years ago, when we saw one blasting out of Cowes in a F6, absolutey fantastic sight.

Sadly, like a puppy on new years day, some boats do get abandoned by their owners. People lose interest, repair bills get out of hand, and boats end up in the car park, where anything useful tends to go walkies, and the either a skip, or the bonfire beckons. I've seen some right **** get burnt (some of it so rotten it needs a LOT of petrol), but such a fate seemed just not right for this lovely shape, so I bought her very cheaply from the club, and towed her home....

e5b55c6d.jpg

A few hours with the pressure washer and I found this rather lovely old wooden girl under all the slime. She was built in 1965 by Souters of Cowes, where ironically she last sailed quite a few years ago now in a regatta where something went "bang" around the mast gate and I understand that the owners at that time could not justify the repair bill and did not have the skills to fix her themselves. After a few years of abandonment down to the bonfire pile she went...

b4a51050.jpg

The rather beautiful cold moulded hull is in exceptionally good condition, and just a thing of great beauty...

637d1807.jpg

The deck ain't bad, all the wood is good and looks loads better now it's stripped. The biggest issue is that a lot of the old glue has given up on the joints and there's a lot of movement around the mast gate area. This will be sorted out with a lot of epoxy fillets. I think the bulkhead has been changed at some point to some low grade marine ply that has blackened and needs a good going over with oxalic acid, and some tidying up with additional "finishing" trim. I've almost stripped off all that horrible tread master and she looks lots better for it with a big expanse of wooden deck...although I might need to deal with a difference in colour where it's been covered for many years.

d598b715.jpg

As you can see nearly every fitting is still there which is great...just need some sails! You can also see the gunwales...they look to have been replaced fairly recently, with totally unvarnished softwood, held in place with steel nails! The results are predictable, but fortunatly the rot has not spread to the boat herself. These are now off and will be replaced with new hardwood ones, scarfed and epoxied in place.

I've never been remotely interested in Flying Fifteens, and prefer my dinghies to do 20 knots plus and have a high carbon content, but I have totally fallen in love with this lovely old wooden classic. I'll update with pics as I progress, but she is already looking a lot better with stripped decks, and a big consignment of epoxy and materials has arrived ready to start the rebuilding, rather than dismantling, process in the next few weeks.

I'll get her back on the water inland first to make sure all is OK, and then I plan to take her to my coastal club, and sail her back to over to Cowes where she was built nearly half a century ago.

Seajet

Visit site
Iain C,

great !

All I can say is something you know well but in 6 words is the crux of everything with a boat like this, but financially inconvenient;

Decent Sails

Decent Sails

Decent Sails

I'm sure a little piece of history thanks you already.

stav

Visit site
That looks alovely thing to lavish some attention on. Good luck with the work and looking forward to the pics.

sarabande

Visit site
that is really encouraging to see someone prepared to commit to such a project with that much pragmatic enthusiasm.

I am sure she will be a thing of beauty and a joy forever for you.

Iain C

Visit site
Iain C,

great !

All I can say is something you know well but in 6 words is the crux of everything with a boat like this, but financially inconvenient;

Decent Sails

Decent Sails

Decent Sails

I'm sure a little piece of history thanks you already.

Very true...but I know the 15 is a very competitive class, which usually means plenty perfectly good suits of sails filter their way down the rankings. TBH as she is an old boat with what I believe to be a slightly different hull, keel, and rudder shape to the modern kit, she does not need a first class sail wardrobe, as she probably won't be up there with the faster boats anyway. Hopefully a few hundred quid should cover it...there's old stuff on eBay as I type this. However I suspect some other club members will sell me an old suit, especially if it means another boat in the fleet!

Could always see if the 49er rig fits if not...:)

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I've always loved the lines of the <ff, like a miniature J-class. Personally I would fit a small single burner & a fun box to go cruising.:D

Not long distance, just day sails & picnics, sailing for the pure enjoyment of it in a classic thoroughbred. You will need china cups & saucers & cut glass tumblers tho. Possibly even a Havana cigar to indicate wind direction . . . :cool:

Edit; The only downside is that you need to get chest deep in the water to launch her & board her. :eek:

Last edited:

Lakesailor

Visit site
Quite. I had the chance of one (it's still there) on a trailer with a bit of hull damage at the rudder post for £150 (in fact I think it came down to fee to get rid of it). But unless you are going sailing crewed and have a decent slip you are wasting your time.
There is still a big fleet on Windermere. One of the club sailors up here (Goacher the Sail) has been World Champ 3 times.

This was a very squally day in May.

Saturdayracing02.jpg

LittleShip

Visit site
Very pretty and I would guess you will get great pleasure in sailing her once you have completed your tasks.

The bow looks to have lots of space and could easily hold a boom tent cushions a small cooker and most importantly... a good size fun box for those lazy days :)

Keep the photos coming.

Tom

Cantata

Visit site
Very nice, I'm quite jealous.
I team-raced in one of those for a weekend, years ago, huge fun in big winds and a revelation to someone like me who'd raced fast tippy dinghies since childhood.
Weird to arrive at the gybe mark on a screaming plane and know that however much I c*cked it up I wasn't going to capsize!

William_H

Visit site
Flying Fifteen

A lovely boat the Flying Fifteen although I don't think you would find a wooden boat around here. 2 clubs around Perth race them. In both cases they have a fixed crane on the jetty and crane the FF in and out before and after races. They have venturi water drains so tend not to be left in the water on a mooring. These clubs tend to be expensive and very serious racers such that a newcomer might be discouraged.
Consequently they are hard to dispose of after they are not at the peak of competition. I friend 6 months back bought one for 2 cartons of beer. he wanted it for the trailer but found the boat in such good condition he raced it with our Keel Boat fleet. Launching off the trailer was a bit of a pain. I don't know what happened to it. I would hope it is being used.
Years back again our local scouts were given a f/g FF without trailer. I think this was also passed on as not suitable for a mooring due to open cockpit and no self draining.
So yes a lovely boat but not highly valued when old. good luck olewill

lw395

Visit site
They are lovely boats, but very wet to sail on the sea.
You can tell the ff sailors at Cowes Week, they are the ones in drysuits.

Iain C

Visit site
FFS!!!!! Just typed a long update and the bloody forum lost it all. Anyway, winter in barn, now back in garden, been busy. Heatgun/scraping nearly done, sanding/epoxy fillets about to start. 100% rot free. (Edit August 2014...haha...that's what you thought at the time!)

9020252330_b5f3ceecfb.jpg

9020257136_b3d4528bef.jpg

Last edited:

NealB

Visit site
Fantastic story, lovely pics.

Over the last couple of seasons, there seems to be some renewed interest in the ff at RCYC, Burnham on Crouch.

If you fancy bringing her for a trip over this way....do get in touch.

maby

Visit site
She really is a thing of great beauty - definitely jealous here! Now off to dig around in the far corners of the boat park! :)