Sane prices for boat curtains

ryanroberts

Visit site
I think the issue is the word 'boat' as always but I thought 1300 quid for a 33' boat a little much even with a pilothouse. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Tranona

Visit site
Making curtains is labour intensive, whether it is for a boat, caravan or a house. Totally unrelated to boat or boat size, but solely to the number of curtains and the hours of work involved. Small curtains take as much time as big curtains - only the material cost is different. Get a partner who enjoys sewing, but no doubt they will tell you how much work is involved and what a big favour it is to do them for you!

ryanroberts

Visit site
Ok I need to talk my ageing mother into it, pay up or learn to live with the 30 years of smoking stains. Sewing and sailing raises dating stakes a little high. Amazed it hasn't been automated, a friend paid not much more for half a mile of motorised blinds for his big house.

Tranona

Visit site
Automation of one off curtain making occurred around the 1860s with the invention of the sewing machine. Apart from using electricity to drive the needles not a lot has changed since. If you placed an order for a few hundred exactly the same automation might reduce the unit cost, or more likely it would be subbed to a sweat shop in Bangladesh to fit in between orders for Primark!

My wife made all the curtains for my old boat but fortunately Bavaria have a good deal with Oceanair so the new boat has neat blinds all round.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I’ll shortly be setting to with the sewing machine and making another set of curtains for our boat. The fabric and lining fabric aren’t expensive and they’re really easy to make. Swallow your inhibitions and learn how to use a sewing machine. It’s amazingly easy.
The only reason I’ll be making a third set in 17 years of ownership is that the fabric has faded badly on the set I made five years ago. We’ll try and choose a more durable fabric again this time.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Wifey did ours. By measure and agreed features.
10 years now and no signs of wear or ageing. Selected a fabric to last rather than being in fashion.

Colour is 'nature' to mitigate fading, 434 grms / sqm, 74000 Martindale (wear index). Not keeping light 100% out (on purpose).
100% polyester to keep them easy to wash & dry which happens at least at spring preparation.

Believe cost now is some £8 / sqm

Might have wanted a more classy fabric but practicality prevailed :O)

TIP: As curtain rail slider Hooks tend to come off when at (rougt-ish) sea we got some designed for campervan/truck use. Several types in the market, ours have a click-on feature that keeps and are easy to detach from the slider when needed.

stevie69p

Visit site
I adapted my own from off the shelf blackout curtains from Dunelm. Got the width required for 1 curtain for each of the saloon windows and basically shortened and hemmed them by hand. The leftover material was used with some curtain tape to make one for the head and another for the forward cabin. It was a reasonable amount of work, but maybe 70 quid all told.

ryanroberts

Visit site
Mrs Morris said I was a bit blunt with my previous comment suggesting you learn to use a sewing machine.
I’m sure if you measure up accurately, a local jobbing seamstress would run them up for far less than £1300.

I was taught to use one, but I am currently going with a limited space excuse. Are the portables any good?

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
The only reason I’ll be making a third set in 17 years of ownership is that the fabric has faded badly on the set I made five years ago. We’ll try and choose a more durable fabric again this time.

In my view lining the outside of the curtains with cheap white fabric is the answer. Re-lined a set of dark red curtains on previous boat where the lining had started disintegrating due to UV damage: much easier and faster (and cheaper) than making a whole new set of curtains. As far as I am aware the curtains were the originals dating from mid-1980s, and still looking good 30+ years later.

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
In my view lining the outside of the curtains with cheap white fabric is the answer...
Our original curtains had this. The outer curtains were rubberised to black out light but the rubber unfortunately turned sticky and flaky. We're happy that some light comes in with the homemade set, the major function of it to us is to prevent fading.

pvb

Visit site
I think the issue is the word 'boat' as always but I thought 1300 quid for a 33' boat a little much even with a pilothouse. Does anyone have any recommendations?

As an alternative, take a look at Oceanair pleated blinds. They work very well and seem very durable.