Safe \advisable cruising grounds in Scotland for 7m cabin cruiser

AlanJeans

Visit site
Hi, I'm a yacht owner but a friend of mine has asked about the suitability of a motor cruiser to start boating. He's looking at a 7m Finnmaster 6400 and he was asking about the eventual scope of cruising that he could safely expect. He will be based in the Clyde at first while he gains experience, but would probably hope to venture up the west coast at some point, or even over to Ireland. What weather and sea conditions could he safely passage in, and would there be any areas that would be a no-go for a cabin cruiser of this type? Also, what training would you advise for him over his first few years?
Thanks

penfold

Visit site
There seem to be several that use the 6400 number, some that have a kind of bowrider arrangement which is not great for offshore, but they look capable of the cruising described provided the weather is observed and press-on-itis is avoided. For a newcomer to cruising RYA day skipper would be a minimum, coastal skipper would give a better appreciation of what's what although perhaps no need to get that until they've had a year or two cruising about the Clyde etc. and want to start going further.

ColleyV8

Visit site
I own a 6400mc and had it on the lochs in west Scotland, it is rated ce C so inland waters and coastal, it is a good boat and will take more than I would throw at it, with the enclosed cabin and doors it is easy handled, but the bow rider style and small drain would mean I wouldn't want to take across to Ireland, it is frugal in diesel but the tank is only 100l from memory

AlanJeans

Visit site
There seem to be several that use the 6400 number, some that have a kind of bowrider arrangement which is not great for offshore, but they look capable of the cruising described provided the weather is observed and press-on-itis is avoided. For a newcomer to cruising RYA day skipper would be a minimum, coastal skipper would give a better appreciation of what's what although perhaps no need to get that until they've had a year or two cruising about the Clyde etc. and want to start going further.
Thanks for that. I suspect he would be quite happy in sheltered waters, and by going through the Crinan canal and up the sound of Luing, you can be in pretty sheltered waters right up to Tobermory, and if weather permits, the Inner Hebrides and the east coast of Skye is not unreasonable from what you say. I will strongly suggest that he cuts his teeth in the Clyde to start with. As far as training goes, it will depend if he gets hooked on boating. He's quite a determined individual if his interest is tweaked. :)

AlanJeans

Visit site
I own a 6400mc and had it on the lochs in west Scotland, it is rated ce C so inland waters and coastal, it is a good boat and will take more than I would throw at it, with the enclosed cabin and doors it is easy handled, but the bow rider style and small drain would mean I wouldn't want to take across to Ireland, it is frugal in diesel but the tank is only 100l from memory
Thanks for the info. I will pass it on - Perhaps if he wants to eventually venture further than the sheltered waters of the Clyde and in and around Crinan to Tobermory, he will upgrade to something a bit more capable of offshore boating.

penfold

Visit site
Thanks for that. I suspect he would be quite happy in sheltered waters, and by going through the Crinan canal and up the sound of Luing, you can be in pretty sheltered waters right up to Tobermory, and if weather permits, the Inner Hebrides and the east coast of Skye is not unreasonable from what you say. I will strongly suggest that he cuts his teeth in the Clyde to start with. As far as training goes, it will depend if he gets hooked on boating. He's quite a determined individual if his interest is tweaked. :)
Cuan Sound would be better as it is more sheltered, as are the southern approaches; with care this vessel may use the passage through the Sound of Seil and pass under Clachan Bridge, not many go that way! There's enough to see and do in the Clyde to amuse for a year or two even if he goes out every weekend and a week or two in summer, no need to rush north.

AlanJeans

Visit site
You are right. The Cuan sound is a little more challenging in a yacht than the sound of Luing but I have to think of motor boating! In flat calm either would do, but if there was any weather it would be safer to go through Cuan.

gordmac

Visit site
100l of fuel isn't really enough to venture very far. Decent passage planning to know where to go in the event of weather is a skill they would need to learn. Perhaps trailering would be an option?

dunedin

Visit site
You are right. The Cuan sound is a little more challenging in a yacht than the sound of Luing but I have to think of motor boating! In flat calm either would do, but if there was any weather it would be safer to go through Cuan.
Not sure why Cuan is “safer” than Luing in bad weather. The Sound of Luing is pretty sheltered till well past Fladda, and only gets seriously bumpy then from wind and/or waves from the West. But at least they are side on, perhaps behind the beam if SW.
Coming out of Cuan can be very bumpy and more directly into wind and waves.

The thing with a small boat is to choose the weather, and wait for fair weather. If in a hurry use the trailer and tow.

Alicatt

Visit site
While I have no experience of a cabin cruiser on the west coast we did use our little 12ft tender a lot round the west coast, so it is possible if you pay attention to weather and tides, with a top speed of about 3knots it was essential.
Now my wife wants to go cruising around the west coast and we are looking for a boat in the 6 to 7meter size that is towable either the Hardy pilot 20 or the 25 seems to fit with what we would like.
But first, we are booked on a 2 day powerboat 2 course at Largs, I want to be sure we BOTH know what we are doing and that she is comfortable in being off shore in a little boat.

Donny Wilcox has a great little channel about taking a small rib around the western isles

https://youtube.com/@donnywilcox

penfold

Visit site
Not sure why Cuan is “safer” than Luing in bad weather. The Sound of Luing is pretty sheltered till well past Fladda, and only gets seriously bumpy then from wind and/or waves from the West. But at least they are side on, perhaps behind the beam if SW.
Coming out of Cuan can be very bumpy and more directly into wind and waves.

The thing with a small boat is to choose the weather, and wait for fair weather. If in a hurry use the trailer and tow.
There's not much in it but I'd say Cuan offered a little more, but exposure of either was why I suggested the Sound of Seil. It's definitely a fair weather cruiser, fortunately with enough speed to take advantage of small weather windows and scoot between anchorages.