Rules of the road

rbrooks

Visit site
Who has the right of way? a speed boat pulling a skier or a sail boat.
This question comes because I had to take avoiding action today to avoid a collision. (almost running aground in the process) the guy piloting the speed boat gave me a filthy look.
Does he know somthing I dont?.

Rog

spannerman

Visit site
According to the International Regs for Preventing Collisions at Sea, a Sailing vessel must avoid a vesel Restricted in Ability to Manouvre, whether this includes Ski boats towing skiers I don't know, but the principle is a good guide.

graham

Visit site
Unless in an area set aside for waterskiers you definitely had right of way if under sail only.

Personally I would take great care standing on ahead of a ski boat due to the possibility of the "driver"being more interested in watching the skier than looking where he is going.

peterb

Visit site
IRPCS defines a "vessel restricted in ability to manoeuvre" as "a vessel which from the nature of her work is restricted in her ability to manoeuvre as required by these Rules and is therefore unable to keep out of the way of another vessel". From my experience of the convoluted courses followed by ski tugs, I would reckon that they would be well able to keep out of the way of other vessels (provided, of course, that the driver wasn't looking over his shoulder at the time).

Chris_Robb

Visit site
In the Bahamas - 30 years ago - it was a legal requirement to have a driver and a look out. - offenders were summarily slung into jail for the weekend.

This should be a regulation over here.

PortsmouthBird

Visit site
Guys im a little disappointed that we are getting over excited about the rules of the road here, what stands above all these areas is the legal responsibility for 'duty of care.' My comment to you all is get you heads out of the clouds here and act responsibly and not like some stobbon sea dog, thats how people get killed.

If the skier fell from the boat whilst in the turn and you have stubbonly not avoided any evasive action you would be guilty of manslaughter at worst and failing in your duty of care in the least. We are increasingly in an litigious environment and need to protect ourself and our insurance policies.

Please chaps lets use common sense and not give more people things to winge about with us yatchies.

tcm

Visit site
agreed. There are too many yotties standing on against skiboats, ferries and so on when they do not need to do so and could easily adjust to avoid way in advance. I am minded of motorcyclists who screech how they had right of way - from their hospital beds.

jimi

Visit site
Flash yer Balls

IMHO the vessel going the fastest should be the give way vessel!But legally is'nt a waterski boat with a skier a non displacement tug with a non displacement tow and should show their balls and flash their yellow lights?

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Flash yer Balls

Being a tug does not "per se" make you stand on vessel when meeting a sailing vessel.

bedouin

Visit site
Ferries maybe, but how can a yacht travelling at 5 knots take action to avoid a ski-boat that is weaving about at 20kts+ is not feasible

bedouin

Visit site
Life is not quite that simple on sailing boat! Small course changes to avoid other vessels travelling at similar speeds are okay, but a significant change in course is often difficult as it may involve tacking or gybing.

Also, trying to judge risk of collision with a much faster boat is tricky, even when the faster boat is moving at a constant speed, and impossible if the boat is weaving about as water-skiiers tend to

Miker

Visit site
I agree. These pesky boats are on you too darned quickly to take prudent long distance avoiding action, and a last minute change of course when the stand on vessel might only cause confusion. What does worry me, or did when I sailed a dinghy in a river, was being decapitated by the towing cable, even if in the right - as has happened.

chriscallender

Visit site
I too am sure that the ski boat could manoeuvre to avoid a collision - if there were no other options open to him he can close the throttle and stop, the worst that will happen then is that his skier will get wet.

So I don't think the ski boat can in any way be considered as "vessel restricted in ability to manoeuvre" and he is therefore required to give way to sailing boats by the collision regulations.