Respect for Scottish sailors

JumbleDuck

Visit site

awol

Visit site
... unless paid to do so. Hey, I don't like midges either. Gonnae buy me a motor sailor?

I don't think Dylan quite understands how it is meant to work. The report compiled by EKOS Ltd and funded, at great expense, by HIE, Crown Estates and Scottish Canals claims that fleecing* non-Scots of a further £37M over the next 7 years is a realistic target. Parking a Centaur on a borrowed mooring is not doing much to achieve this aim.
Meanwhile there is a view amongst some of the indigent indigenous that the proliferation of pontoons and visitors' moorings is detrimental to their continued enjoyment of their traditional sailing grounds.

*or "providing value by enhancing the customer experience"

D

Deleted member 36384

..... the indigent indigenous ..... enjoyment of their traditional sailing grounds. ...

I think you are alliterating for the sake of it. We all know that sailing for enjoyment is not what indigents do, old boy, they serve, and are grateful for it, damn them and their smells.

Minchsailor

Visit site
I don't think Dylan quite understands how it is meant to work. The report compiled by EKOS Ltd and funded, at great expense, by HIE, Crown Estates and Scottish Canals claims that fleecing* non-Scots of a further £37M over the next 7 years is a realistic target. Parking a Centaur on a borrowed mooring is not doing much to achieve this aim.
Meanwhile there is a view amongst some of the indigent indigenous that the proliferation of pontoons and visitors' moorings is detrimental to their continued enjoyment of their traditional sailing grounds.

*or "providing value by enhancing the customer experience"

Hear, hear, I second all of that. I have looked at a number of these questionnaires, and it has seemed to me that that they have been framed in such a way that it is very difficult for them to be answered in such a way that is contrary to anything but 'lets do it, and fleece the buggers for all it's worth'.

I was recently asked (informally) for my thoughts on the provision of 'facilities' in a rather undervisited bit of remote Scotland. I could not believe their proposals - pontoon berthing for 30+ yachts, gourmet restaurant, 'artisanal' food store, bicycle hire, full blown chandlery, and all the other bits and bobbins.

One of their arguments was that this would provide a stopping-off point for yachts on passage to the Faeroes, Iceland and Greenland (by this point I was rolling on the ground with laughter).

I had to point out that this bit of 'remote Scotland' was exactly that. Sailing wise, it is dead end, no passing traffic (unless, of course you happen to be on the way to Iceland...), off the beaten path for land based tourist traffic, too far for the fortnights' cruise from the Clyde - even pushing it bit for the Oban based yachts, so remote the charter yacht companies (whose crews' would be the most likely customers for the 'gourmet restaurant') exclude it from their normal area.

No provision of very expensive facilities was going to have any significant affect on the number of yachts visiting.

steve yates

Visit site
Parking a centaur on a borrowed mooring is surely the private business of the mooring owner, and not the harbour masters?
I was offered a loan of quite. Few moorings, all given in generous spirit. I didn't actually use any of them as it happened, but I appreciated the offer and would certainly have partaken had it suited me. The one I did use was in the bay just before you come into plockton, a crofter, my friends dad, who had laid his own moorings and was happy for me to use it whenever and as long as I wished.

Trop Cher

Visit site
Hear, hear, I second all of that. I have looked at a number of these questionnaires, and it has seemed to me that that they have been framed in such a way that it is very difficult for them to be answered in such a way that is contrary to anything but 'lets do it, and fleece the buggers for all it's worth'.

I was recently asked (informally) for my thoughts on the provision of 'facilities' in a rather undervisited bit of remote Scotland. I could not believe their proposals - pontoon berthing for 30+ yachts, gourmet restaurant, 'artisanal' food store, bicycle hire, full blown chandlery, and all the other bits and bobbins.

One of their arguments was that this would provide a stopping-off point for yachts on passage to the Faeroes, Iceland and Greenland (by this point I was rolling on the ground with laughter).

I had to point out that this bit of 'remote Scotland' was exactly that. Sailing wise, it is dead end, no passing traffic (unless, of course you happen to be on the way to Iceland...), off the beaten path for land based tourist traffic, too far for the fortnights' cruise from the Clyde - even pushing it bit for the Oban based yachts, so remote the charter yacht companies (whose crews' would be the most likely customers for the 'gourmet restaurant') exclude it from their normal area.

No provision of very expensive facilities was going to have any significant affect on the number of yachts visiting.

I'm curious as to where your remote spot is?
However, in the right place it can work. Mallaig is planning on increasing it's capacity from 50 to 150 berths, so therefore one can presume that the marina has been seen as a success. Am I concerned by the increase in facilities? No, of course not, I don't have to use them, but then I know they're there should I want to use them, and also I believe it keeps the quiet and remote anchorages...well quiet and remote! :)

Seven Spades

Visit site
Maybe providing those facilities will prove to be an attraction in itself? Maybe you don't need to be passing, many people will think like this. Lots of people down here objected to Yarmouth changing from a Harbour to a marina, but it is now more popular than ever. No one will admit it but they like to tie up top a pontoon and walk ashore.

D

Deleted member 36384

Maybe providing those facilities will prove to be an attraction in itself? Maybe you don't need to be passing, many people will think like this. Lots of people down here objected to Yarmouth changing from a Harbour to a marina, but it is now more popular than ever. No one will admit it but they like to tie up top a pontoon and walk ashore.

+1

However, we can always steadfastly refuse to change while expecting things to improve; of course improvement is subjective. I suspect that currently there is more need for local folks who earn their living from the sea in small boats to have pontoon access. My experience of pontoons designed to encourage sailing tourists get monopolised by local boat owners.

Trop Cher

Visit site

I agree, I believe some boats are coming round Ardnamurchan Point because Mallaig Marina exists, previously they would only have gone as far as Tobermory.

Trop Cher

Visit site
I liked Mallaig, but struggle to see where they can find the space to treble their pontoon real estate!
They will also have to not have the showers and toilets closed between 5 pm and 9am

It's all part of a bigger plan, a breakwater, facilities for small cruise liners , the boatyard being moved to the outside basin, the waterfront where the boatyard is currently situated to be upgrade with new parking and of course the increased marina. This is a ten year plan subject to funding!

Kelpie

Visit site
These plans can work well. Stornoway trebled its berthing facilities a few years ago and is busier than ever- we struggle to get a space in the height of the summer. A few people are starting to base boats there and fly in, ot's surprisingly well connected.
Hard to see any downside whatsoever to this development. Pontoons allow more boats to fit into the harbour compared to the previous method, which was to raft up on the quayside. Far, far more convenient as well.

I don't think it has even had much impact on the dozens of little local anchorages- the visiting boats tend to congregate in the marina, and the locals can still potter around their favourite spots as before.

dslittle

Visit site
It's all part of a bigger plan, a breakwater, facilities for small cruise liners , the boatyard being moved to the outside basin, the waterfront where the boatyard is currently situated to be upgrade with new parking and of course the increased marina. This is a ten year plan subject to funding!

Last 'summer' we sat out a bit of a blow for a week in Mallaig. We had plenty of time to chat with the Harbour Master who showed us the plans for future extension... His main reason was the fact that he actually had almost double the number of local boats moored up than was catered for. Obviously, as they were local boats, the owners contibuted to the local economy on a daily basis but did not bring any additional money in through having their boats there. We (and two other boats also taking refuge) ate out locally - definitely recommend the Steam Inn - and spent money in the town. Mallaig might not be a great example due to the influx of tourists every day for a few hours on the Jacobite but you get the drift. A couple of years ago, I broke my hand early in the season which meant that we actively sought out pontoons during the summer as it was too difficult to get the dinghy off the foredeck and put the outboard onto it. This definitely prevented us going to a number of anchorages that we wanted to visit but we still spent our money elsewhere. As stated, Stornoway, has increased attendance with the new pontoons and there are a number of West Coast moorings that have benefitted from installing pontoons - try and walk into The White House in Loch Aline without a reservation!!!

Going back to the original OP, Dylan I have sent you a PM...

Aja

Visit site
I agree, I believe some boats are coming round Ardnamurchan Point because Mallaig Marina exists, previously they would only have gone as far as Tobermory.
In my fathers' time (early 70's) the plan was always if possible to get out of Tobermory and round Ardnamurchan during the two week Fair holidays. It was a poor do if we didn't reach Skye and back from the Clyde.
I still find it useful to pop into Tobermory for stores either going north or south, but on the other hand find it odd to see huge charter boats ploughing the Sound of Mull encased in fenders with the expectation of an alongside berth.
Maybe the pontoons are doing lots to bring economic good to the area. Promoting Sailing? No. I don't think so. I would like to see families in smaller boats being challenged as we were. Not 50' aircraft carriers which don't go farther that Mallaig as they won't get alongside berthing. Yes things change but the 'West Coast' has lost a lot of its rugged charm.

Donald

JumbleDuck

Visit site
My experience of pontoons designed to encourage sailing tourists get monopolised by local boat owners.

For an example, see the waiting pontoon for Ardrishaig Sea Lock. Mind you, 'twas ever thus. In the days of HIDB moorings the ones at Gigha (which was in those days an out of the way spot which nobody visited) were mainly used by local fishing boats.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
In my fathers' time (early 70's) the plan was always if possible to get out of Tobermory and round Ardnamurchan during the two week Fair holidays. It was a poor do if we didn't reach Skye and back from the Clyde.

I still enjoy tying on some heather if I get that far, but that tradition seems to be fading.

I still find it useful to pop into Tobermory for stores either going north or south, but on the other hand find it odd to see huge charter boats ploughing the Sound of Mull encased in fenders with the expectation of an alongside berth

The Sound of Jura sees something similar on a Saturday afternoon as a fleet of charter boats from Ardfern and Craobh belt south as fast as they can (under engine, even if the wind is perfect) in order to grab a pontoon berth at Port Ellen. Many visitors seem genuinely scared of anchoring nowadays, which perhaps explains why traditional anchorage like Ardinamir always seem very quiet. Of course they all go to Puilladobhrain, but that is (a) easily and (b) best avoided.

dunedin

Visit site

That sounds like a good plan for Mallaig. Certainly a better breakwater would be helpful for northerlies, but the new pontoon facility at Mallaig is already a useful addition. There are masses of remote anchorages which we use on most occasions, but having a pontoon option north of Ardnamurchan is very helpful - whether for getting stores easier or to leave a boat securely for a few days whilst dashing home for other matters.
As others have noted, Stornaway is also hugely successful - with berths being very scarce the times we were there (even outside school holidays). This is great for the local economy. And also some of the friendliest marina/ harbourmaster staff we have ever met. Good on them and wish them luck with both these upgrade plans.

awol

Visit site
..... Of course they all go to Puilladobhrain, but that is (a) easily and (b) best avoided.

I have occasionally popped into the Otter Pool to wait the south going tide or because it seemed like a good idea and, naturally, wander over to the Troosers with the expectation of a climate change discussion. There always seems to be a wheen of boats parked there but the pub is empty. Is a slightly boggy walk too much for them?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I have occasionally popped into the Otter Pool to wait the south going tide or because it seemed like a good idea and, naturally, wander over to the Troosers with the expectation of a climate change discussion. There always seems to be a wheen of boats parked there but the pub is empty. Is a slightly boggy walk too much for them?

I've been in there occasionally in the off season, but as I am not a drinker the pub is no great attraction and I generally stop off at Easdale now.