Respect for Scottish sailors

JumbleDuck

Visit site
At risk of provoking more mournful tears, what is the USP of Keep Turning Left nowadays? As far as I can see, it was originally the entertainingly low key adventures of a man in a small cheap boat heading determinedly up every creek he could find.

Now it seems to be more a series of homemade films about the coast of Britain - interesting enough, but I have a feeling that the BBC has that market pretty well sewn up with "Coast", ten series of which are now available cheaply on Amazon's second-hand market. Perhaps Americans are clicking more because they find the non-sailing documentary stuff more interesting than the more sailing-orientated British followers do?

I personally find "Does not feature that preening twit Neil Oliver" to be the strongest USP anything can have, but the many-headed seem to like him. Maybe we could crowd-source Dylan a long wig?

Aja

Visit site
"Does not feature that preening twit Neil Oliver" to be the strongest USP anything can have, but the many-headed seem to like him. Maybe we could crowd-source Dylan a long wig?
Why can he not do a piece to camera without walking and talking over his left shoulder.....?

Donald

Ludd

Visit site
Reference the allusion (or illusion, if you like) to or of the Scots hating the English---- as a Scot who lived and worked in England , had I taken umbrage every time my accent was mocked or I was referred to as a " sweaty sock" or other insulting names, I'd have probably spent my life in therapy.
Grow up ,Dylan! You are after all in the superior majority, as some of you more patronising diatribes show.
P.S. Like the films, have some of the DVDs.

D

Deleted member 36384

'USP' - marketing department jargon - Unique Selling Point

Thanks.

Neil Oliver is alright, just a typical uni person who has never left academia and is always surrounded by young things, and now does telly, there are far worse entertainers. Mr duck does academia and has at least advised on some luvie work as well if I recall from some of his posts, could it be professional handbag rivalry. I liked Simon Schama in the History of Britain, very professional, which I think Oliver sort of rakishly styles his presentation manner.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Seajet

Visit site
They did a spoof of Simon Schama's show highlighting the crap props and no money left to film the subject after he'd had his fee; I think a true pro' would care about the finished product above all.

I've never met or even spoken to Jumbleduck, but he comes across as a straight shooting, helpful experienced sailor to me.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Neil Oliver is alright, just a typical uni person who has never left academia and is always surrounded by young things, and now does telly, there are far worse entertainers.

Mr Oliver is not an academic; he did a degree in archaeology at Glasgow University and later a course in journalism at Napier (college, I think, when he was there).

Dr Duck, thank you very much

does academia and has at least advised on some luvie work as well if I recall from some of his posts, could it be professional handbag rivalry.

Not really. I have a gripe with presenters who claim status they do not have (Dan Snow, for example, is not a historian but a man with a history degree and a father in the business) but Mr Oliver has never claimed, as far as I know, to be anything other than a TV presenter. He's just a TV presenter I find particularly irritating. As if my opinion mattered.

Aja

Visit site
Mr Oliver is not an academic; he did a degree in archaeology at Glasgow University and later a course in journalism at Napier (college, I think, when he was there).

Dr Duck, thank you very much

Not really. I have a gripe with presenters who claim status they do not have (Dan Snow, for example, is not a historian but a man with a history degree and a father in the business) but Mr Oliver has never claimed, as far as I know, to be anything other than a TV presenter. He's just a TV presenter I find particularly irritating. As if my opinion mattered.

Don't start me on Dan Snow. When he did that bit on a yacht all I could look at was his wake as luffed up while 'helming'.
Donald

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

My apologies JumbleDuck, poor show on my behalf, presumption, assumption, all just in honest jest.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Don't start me on Dan Snow. When he did that bit on a yacht all I could look at was his wake as luffed up while 'helming'.
Donald

His hagiographic "history" of the Royal Navy was so terrible it was fascinating, and his claims that WW1 troops loved serving at the front because conditions were so good there left the jaw gaping. I think the BBC use him to suck up the conservative party.

My apologies JumbleDuck, poor show on my behalf, presumption, assumption, all just in honest jest.

I hope that's not serious. I didn't even begin to take any offence - your comment was perfectly fair.

Seajet

Visit site
I agree with the comments about certain TV ' History ' preenters; several seem to think a haircut appealing to middle aged women is the main qualification.

I'd rather see real history talked about by a real person, not a model of either sex with tanned cheeks and flowing locks of hair...

Dare I mention,

when not playing the fool at my old aerodrome Dunsfold, Jeremy Clarkson has done some excellent documentaries...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXusKM5uX0s

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'd rather see real history talked about by a real person, not a model of either sex with tanned cheeks and flowing locks of hair...

Real people talking about things which absorb them are almost invariably worth listening to. That can be an eminent historian talking about history (there's an episode of "How Wars Begin" on iPlayer) or a technician talking about working on aircraft engines or supercars ("How to build ...".).

It's very difficult for a non-expert to be as good, because if they sound authoritative they can come across as pretentious and if they sound less than authoritative they lose credibility. My favourite "Everyman" presenter is Dallas Campbell, who has a knack for asking the questions the viewer wants asked in a way which is neither pompous nor patronising.

when not playing the fool at my old aerodrome Dunsfold, Jeremy Clarkson has done some excellent documentaries...

I can't stand the man (or, rather, the character he plays on TV - I have it on very good authority that he is quite different in real life), but happily acknowledge that he is a very, very good TV presenter.

claymore

Visit site
Real people talking about things which absorb them are almost invariably worth listening to. That can be an eminent historian talking about history (there's an episode of "How Wars Begin" on iPlayer) or a technician talking about working on aircraft engines or supercars ("How to build ...".).

It's very difficult for a non-expert to be as good, because if they sound authoritative they can come across as pretentious and if they sound less than authoritative they lose credibility. My favourite "Everyman" presenter is Dallas Campbell, who has a knack for asking the questions the viewer wants asked in a way which is neither pompous nor patronising.

I can't stand the man (or, rather, the character he plays on TV - I have it on very good authority that he is quite different in real life), but happily acknowledge that he is a very, very good TV presenter.

I believe he prefers hot food to cold.....

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I believe he prefers hot food to cold.....

Well, that was the story. Very convenient for everyone.

Can we no get back to how wonderful Scots sailors are and how a soft middle aged Englishman with a dicky knee (diddums!) can't cope with our climate?

... unless paid to do so. Hey, I don't like midges either. Gonnae buy me a motor sailor?

Seven Spades

Visit site
I spent a a winter in the trailer sailer in scotland - we are 61 and the expensive cameras rotted and packed up

just not viable in scotland on the west coast in the winter with 120 inches of rain

I also have no cash flow - I have the money from selling my reliable big but cold boat. But I cannot fritter it away on making films people do not pay for.

the trailer sailer needs an outboard to replace the one that was nicked an the trailer needs 1K spent on it

I have to focus on the the 6,000 youtubersd

eleanor says that I am wasting my time on the forums talking to the same 200 old men -

but I like you guys and you come up with great ideas and suggestion

she said I need to focus on the youtube refusniks and earning enough money to do a decent job of scotland rather than finding ways of making more films that people do not pay for.

she even says the only reason to have a website is as a place to put the paypal button that youtube refuses to allow me to put on the films - because they want the money -

they need it

I am now working exclusively for google - for free

Has you wife thought of starting her own You Tube Channel and making some films of your travels? I presume that she has not been banned from earning money from youtube?