Refuelling - A cautionary tale..

S1975

Visit site
On a Lleyn peninsula cruise last week (a spectacular area in the good weather) and decided to put in another 150L of diesel at the fuel dock in Pwllhelli marina prior to the run home to Anglesey. The fuel dock is well equipped with 2 pumps, which dispense either diesel or petrol from either side of the pump stand. It was a bit of a struggle getting alongside due to current and wind pushing off the berth, finally helped to hold alongside by a couple of gentlemen from another boat which berthed in between two of my solo attempts.

The friendly and helpful fuel attendant arrived just as we all finished securing and set up to dispense simultaneously at both pumps, to my surprise. I took the nearest nozzle and hose and started to fill, the attendant assisted the other boat to set up. Everybody was settled down and pumping away and he returned to his control booth to monitor events and start the paperwork. As I reached 100 litres on board he noticed I was bunkering petrol. All stop! :(

Why did it happen :- Simply I did not check the fuel grade being dispensed, which was clearly marked next to the nozzle and counters. It was the first time I had visited a marine fueling station which offers both diesel and petrol by pump. This happened at about 1600 local and I was allowed to lie alongside the fuel dock for free overnight.

Hafan Pwllheli were excellent, helpful and sympathetic . Harbour Marine engineers were called straightaway and attended by shortly after 1700. Plans were made to lift out at 0830 the following morning to siphon the 300L mix out. It all happened to plan, every possible support was received from both Hafan Pwllheli and Harbour Marine- they were excellent. Relaunched at 1300 after the completion of the tank emptying by Harbour Marine, refuelled with diesel and Harbour Marine reattended for the initial engine start. All good, and then for the onward passage and return home over the next couple of days.

I really appreciated the proactive approach of all those involved - they were great and very professional, a real credit to the marine leisure industry. :encouragement:

I will never refuel again without a double check on what fuel is being dispensed, particularly at an unfamiliar location. (Never made this mistake with any road vehicle!)

Richard10002

Visit site
I once put 7 litres of petrol in my cars diesel tank, (55l capacity). Decided that 50 litres of diesel would dilute it enough, so topped up and drove the half mile home. Did a bit of googling, put a litre of two stroke oil in, and topped up regularly over the next few days, and put a litre of 2 stroke in the next few full tanks. All has been well since, and it was a few years ago now.

alancollins

Visit site
I refuelled in Lymington a few weeks ago. The girl who turned on the pump for me turned it off again after I had finished, but forgot to read the meter. She said she would ring the office and they could tell how much diesel I had taken. The chap in the office came back with wild guess, far more than I could have taken and there followed some haggling before we agreed on a compromise. My lesson for the day is read the meter yourself before handing back the pump.

rafiki_

Visit site
Lady wife called me one day at work. Cars not running well. "Has it got fuel?" I asked. "Yes, just topped up". "What with?" "Petrol" she said. Not good in a diesel. Told her to brim with diesel, and all ok. Phew. This was a Euro 1 spec. Couldn't do this with a modern diesel though.

Seastoke

Visit site
I put 13 gallon of diesel in my petrol MG in Paris ,had no help no AA SORRY PARIS I had to symphony down the drain ,hey ho