Reluctant crook…

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
There are exemptions as to when you can use red diesel/gasoil in your car (as we found out during the fuel shortage crisis in 2000).

You may, if the correct criteria are met, apply for a rebated fuel licence (Using rebated fuels in vehicles and machines (Excise Notice 75)) however it appears to be a more protracted process and the circumstances somewhat tighter than it used to be.

The case I reference was in 2000 and the person in question was issued a certificate to present if required stating that duty had been paid. Bearing in mind the likelihood that there would be residual staining of the fuel lines, they kept this certificate in the glove compartment until they got rid of the car in case they ever got checked in the future.
As rare as rocking horse poo, which you will see if you read the notice and it doesn't include my wife ran the car out of fuel but I had a can of red on the boat.

Bob@SYH

Visit site
As rare as rocking horse poo, which you will see if you read the notice and it doesn't include my wife ran the car out of fuel but I had a can of red on the boat.

Yes... I am well aware of the criteria. I was neither condoning nor condemning the OP's query. I was merely stating facts and an example case.

georgebertie

Visit site
In the fuel crisis of 2000 I was in Plymouth,no road fuel was available.And the Land Rover was empty.But I heard that there was an exemption for essential personnel in certain categories of the care profession. My wife was a midwife,I worked for Social Services..A friendly fisherman provided 5 gallons of red,and I drove home.Phoned C&E local office,explained the situation, they sent a form ,and a bill for tax owed,which I returned with a cheque.I kept the LR for several years, but am wondering now what would have happened to the subsequent owner if the tank was dipped.

Rappey

Visit site
I looked up today's marine diesel prices around the Solent and many are £1.49 per litre with a 60/40 split.
Its actually cheaper to buy forecourt white !

Rappey

Visit site
I looked up todays rac fuel prices. Asda came in at £1.48.1 . Cheaper, but barely 😬
Take away the 60/40 and it becomes more expensive..

benjenbav

Visit site
I looked up today's marine diesel prices around the Solent and many are £1.49 per litre with a 60/40 split.
It’s actually cheaper to buy forecourt white !
Suspect Tesco et al are able to buy diesel in at a significant lower price than that offered to any marine outlet.

mm42

Visit site
They can stop, search and disassemble (with a oxyacetylene cutter) your car without your permission ( I have seen them do this to a Mercedes at Dover customs). And are under no obligation to re-assemble it. Even if nothing was found.

They can do this anywhere in the country - it is not limited to ports of entry.

Ditto with your boat unless it is in international waters.

Don't mess with those guys.
And even in international waters.