Red diesel problems in Belgium again it seems

Daydream believer

Visit site
The Cruising association are lobbying, but do offer the following advise
Red Diesel Use in Belgium
Regulations and Technical Services Group
News
Printer-friendly versionPDF version

UPDATE: 06/07/2017 - RATS new advice to members - not to call into Belgian ports

Please see the updated document attached below for further information and advice from RATS on the use of red diesel when in EU waters.

How does onewho is not a member of the cruising association access the :-
News
or is this only available to members

I am particularly concerned about a comment that I seem to recall about the carrying of fuel in cans. The RYA advised me that they are not aware of any restriction of the use of cans so long as they had white fuel.
However, a comment somewhere seemed to suggest that the use of cans in Belgium is illegal. Seems odd as I am not sure how one gets fuel to the boat & I do need to refuel in Ostend & normally take 2 /20litre cans with me which gives me plenty for use in the Dutch canals as well if I am going that way. I do not want to have to go to Blankenburgh to refuel if only going to Ostend & back.

Does anyone know the correct answer, rather than rumour

Mariner69

Visit site
A number of us were planning to sail to Zeebrugge in 2018 for the 100th anniversary of the raid. Most have been operating their yachts with the marina supplied fuels which are predominately red stained. The size of the fleet will be substantially reduced if this is the case.

A separate thought:-

If the UK banned red dye fuel and only allowed white then the problem would be solved. Any business who wanted the VAT tax recovery could claim it back in the same way as they do all other vatable charges, that way the frauds are only on paper, cat litter sales plummet.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site

If the UK banned red dye fuel and only allowed white then the problem would be solved. Any business who wanted the VAT tax recovery could claim it back in the same way as they do all other vatable charges, that way the frauds are only on paper, cat litter sales plummet.

The snag is that people are being fined for residual quantities of red in the fuel system which isn't going to clear any time soon

Biggles Wader

Visit site
The snag is that people are being fined for residual quantities of red in the fuel system which isn't going to clear any time soon

That's the point.I havnt put red in my tank for over two years,but usage is low and the fuel still has a red tinge.I always fill from cans of white from the garage but I cant go to Belgium if they wont accept any residual traces.I used to like Ostende but at £500 a time I will live without it.

macd

Visit site
How does onewho is not a member of the cruising association access the :-
News
or is this only available to members

jant has already answered your question, but it's worth noting that the CA routinely makes publicly available information about contentious issues which widely affect members and non-members alike. Successive waves of information about Greek cruising regulations are a case in point. Naturally enough, it keeps more routine information to itself or there'd be less point joining.

Tranona

Visit site

There are huge practical difficulties in doing this which is why the UK government is taking the stance it is and is currently challenging the Belgian government's interpretation of the Directive in the European courts.

If it were as simple as you suggest it would have been solved long time ago. However there are far more issues involved than just inconvenience to a small number of yachtsmen who want to visit Belgium - not that i agree with their treatment given that the Belgians seem to have gone back on a temporary agreement with our government pending the outcome of the court case.

tugger

Visit site

No, but as soon as the availability of red diesel has been stopped it instantly removes the reason behind this somewhat embittered petty victimisation and the apparently aggrieved Belgian officials would have no reason feel so hard done by and checks would/could stop. The supply of red in the first place is without doubt the sole reason for all this brou haha.

macd

Visit site
No, but as soon as the availability of red diesel has been stopped...

...there'd be a deluge of posts on here complaining about it. Anyone for whom the nearest convenient source of diesel primarily sells (red) to commercial operators would be illegal for leisure boaters. Not many harbours could sustain both red and white diesel facilities, which is precisely why the present fudge came into being.

dom

Visit site
No, but as soon as the availability of red diesel has been stopped it instantly removes the reason behind this somewhat embittered petty victimisation and the apparently aggrieved Belgian officials would have no reason feel so hard done by and checks would/could stop. The supply of red in the first place is without doubt the sole reason for all this brou haha.

Also UK farmers and construction workers would become rich, and our fishermen could get back to their old smuggling ways. Not to mention the refueling possibilities for French 'boats' in the Channel Islands. :cool: :cool:

Then, alas, would come a pesky tax increase for the rest of us :black_eyed:

sailorman

Visit site
Also UK farmers and construction workers would become rich, and our fishermen could get back to their old smuggling ways. Not to mention the refueling possibilities for French 'boats' in the Channel Islands. :cool: :cool:

Then, alas, would come a pesky tax increase for the rest of us :black_eyed:

Is there a problem with The French, do you have proof to back that statement

Biggles Wader

Visit site
...there'd be a deluge of posts on here complaining about it. Anyone for whom the nearest convenient source of diesel primarily sells (red) to commercial operators would be illegal for leisure boaters. Not many harbours could sustain both red and white diesel facilities, which is precisely why the present fudge came into being.

How does Belgium manage this huge problem? And how do all the other EU countries get over it?

tugger

Visit site

Oh I absolutely agree, sorry my post wasn't meant to advocate getting rid of red diesel, merely an example of why this is happening. :)

Tranona

Visit site
The Greeks have more than us

But they have never had supplies of marked diesel as the only source of fuel at the waterside - most is supplied by tankers.

That is the problem - a blanket EU Directive which did not take into account the different supply structures and usage patterns in the different states. Hence the agreed original derogation for the UK and Ireland.

This is not a UK vs Belgium problem, it is the EU failing to recognise differences. other states such as France who could also take the same line as Belgium do not because there is no issue of competition or loss of revenue.