Red diesel problems in Belgium again it seems

Cantata

Visit site
Re: Belgium fines boat with traces of red - June 2017

It would have been helpful if the RYA had said if the owner had receipts or not, given that this is the standard advice supposed to keep us out of trouble.

westhinder

Visit site

I have not heard of any recent Customs policy changes, but I will try and find out more.
I would only be half surprised really, as we have had warning from the police that Schengen procedures would be enforced much more strictly than in the past. We are now supposed to submit a Schengen form before departure to the UK and the police say they will come down to the boat to check within an hour. How that is supposed to work in practice is totally unclear. Our marina, VVW Nieuwpoort has a police office 9-17h, but how about the other marinas, how about leaving outside office hours?
If you ask me, it is mainly window dressing, but given the way officialdom works, if you're out of luck and you haven't followed the procedure, they may fine you and there is not much you can do.
I'll check with Customs and report back.

jimi

Visit site

I sometimes wonder if its sometimes down to "attitude" creating conflict between skipper and customs?

Cantata

Visit site

Heard back from the RYA. They understand there was no argument involved and that the skipper wasn't given opportunity to show diesel paperwork. RYA pointed out that although we have been advised to carry recent receipts, actually their standard advice remains that use of red is illegal in Belgium, full stop.
That's Belgium off the list once again for me, I'm afraid.

seasicksteve

millie.unilake.co.uk

I've just been talking to some friends who are cruising in Holland and they met the individual who received the fine and confirmed the story. Unfortunately I didn't get any more info than is in the Rya report. Off to Holland myself on Saturday so will definitely be avoiding Belgium.
Steve.

jimi

Visit site

from the cruising association website:
RATS has just heard that a yacht, which had re-fuelled with white diesel, was in Nieuwpoort on passage back to the UK. It has been fined 500 Euros by Belgian officials for having traces of red diesel in the engine tank.

As the understanding for these last two years with Belgium, as outlined in the 'RATS advice, on red UK diesel' can no longer be relied upon, RATS is now suggesting to Members and other sailors that they may consider not sailing to Belgium.

If any advice is received that the original understanding is upheld of how the Belgian officials treat visiting UK vessels, RATS will publish an update to this note.

The Use of Marine Red Diesel by Pleasure Craft When In Belgian Waters
The condition still holds that, when going into Belgian waters, there must be documentation that is less
than one year old which shows the full excise duty has been paid on the red diesel purchased.
From previous advice to Members, RATS continues to say:
• that the full 100% duty must be paid on all marine diesel purchased for voyages to the EU States
• that the printed and signed receipts for all purchases should show that the full 100% duty for
propulsion only has been paid
• the receipt be less than twelve months old
• it must be carried on board the vessel and be available for inspection by the Belgian Customs
• it is advised that re-fuelling is done prior to departure to avoid any complication. However, if the
re-fuelling was done over a year ago, printed proof in the form of the last fuel receipt must be
available to show when this was done in the UK and why fuel has not been bought since then.
Clearly, evidence of the engine hours used and any log records will be useful to demonstrate the
validity of the situation.
It is noted that these requirements are the same as that needed last year by the Dutch Customs and
Excise and RATS believes, from their contacts, that when coming into the Netherlands, there continues
to be no problem with the presence of UK purchased red marine diesel in a boat’s fuel tank(s) provided
the relevant receipts are on board available for inspection.
In summary, Members are reminded that:
• Whilst RATS believes this is the best advice, it is up to the skipper or owner
of the vessel to make their decision about visiting maritime EU States
• You should have the latest invoices for your fuel purchases showing that the
full 100% fuel duty has been paid
• You are not allowed to purchase and fill up the boat tank(s) with red diesel in
EU States. You must use white diesel and be aware that it may contain bio
diesel
• You must never carry any fuel in spare containers. RATS suggests that fuel
tanks should be full when going on a voyage
• If there is any dispute with Customs, keep all paperwork and other evidence,
then, for advice, contact your port of destination or the National Office for
Customs Administration in the country concerned
CDH
RATS

Biggles Wader

Visit site

I have very low usage of diesel and only put white in from the garage via a can but I have had red in there a few years ago.The fuel still has a distinct orange shade to it so must contain traces of dye which will possibly be there for many years.So I wont bother with Belgium either.

Javelin

www.Southwoldboatyard.co.uk

What a dumb ass thing to do and so short sighted.
I bet the Dutch are mighty fed up as well as last time this kicked off a friend who monitors visitors to the Southern Delta said their numbers of visitors dropped significantly in 2014 and a little in 2015 due to folk not wanting to stop off in Belgian waters on their way to and from the South coast.

And slightly off topic I did notice a somewhat unfriendly atmosphere at the NSYC at Oostende this year as if they were doing us a big favor letting us spend our money at their bar.
The harbour master however was as friendly as ever.

Last edited:

sailorman

Visit site

I've just been talking to some friends who are cruising in Holland and they met the individual who received the fine and confirmed the story. Unfortunately I didn't get any more info than is in the Rya report. Off to Holland myself on Saturday so will definitely be avoiding Belgium.
Steve.

Avoid Belgian waters as well then, or you might just get a boarding party

sailorman

Visit site

What a dumb ass thing to do and so short sighted.
I bet the Dutch are mighty fed up as well as last time this kicked off a friend who monitors visitors to the Southern Delta said their numbers of visitors dropped significantly in 2014 and a little in 2015 due to folk not wanting to stop off in Belgian waters on their way to and from the South coast.

And slightly off topic I did notice a somewhat unfriendly atmosphere at the NSYC at Oostende this year as if they were doing us a big favor letting us spend our money at their bar.
The harbour master however was as friendly as ever.

But not a replacement for Robert

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com

Bang goes my trip to Oostende and onwards to the Netherlands next year then

Traces is worrying (I'd be prepared to switch to white after the winter but there'd still be some red in the bottom of the tank) and the current RYA advice seems to be not to carry ANY spare fuel, of any sort and that I won't do

sailorman

Visit site

Bang goes my trip to Oostende and onwards to the Netherlands next year then

Traces is worrying (I'd be prepared to switch to white after the winter but there'd still be some red in the bottom of the tank) and the current RYA advice seems to be not to carry ANY spare fuel, of any sort and that I won't do

start your hols on the voor Anker w/e

sailorman

Visit site

Yes, that would work if you wanted to go to Ostende. at the end of May, for a weekend. I wonder if it is Br**it related?

I fly a
european-union-flag-std_1.jpg

hope that works