Recommendations sought - must-have equipment for a boats galley.

Neeves

Visit site
You could save more than a few ££££££ by just buying a Wonderbag Home | Wonderbag™
These have the added advantage that - when bouncing around in a seaway - you can stow it just about anywhere while it does its stuff.
The whole value of this forum is that no-one knows everything (except for those of us who are grandfather. :) ) - I've heard of the Wonderbag - but never used one. Good that you gave it a mention.

When the going gets tough - we store the Shuttle Chef in the sink.

Jonathan

lustyd

Visit site
We have a wonder bag and it works incredibly well and keeps food warm on passage too. It’s quite large to stow though.

Porthandbuoy

www.backbearing.com
Must have for the galley? A chef.

I sail with a guy who loves to cook. He brings his own knife roll and box of herbs and spices which transform every meal.

On a more mundane level, nesting pans, small, medium and large; nesting bowls, ditto; a colander; all the usual kitchen utensils for cutting, chopping and serving; aluminium foil; refill gas for the gas lighter; non-slip mat, though a damp tea towel will do; heat proof chopping boards.

xyachtdave

Visit site
Our boat oven isn't amazing at distributing heat or temperature control.

I've had great success with casseroles and stews made in a cast iron casserole dish, it appears to heat up and distribute the heat evenly due to the thickness.

Downside would be the weight, you wouldn't want it flying across the cabin unexpectedly that's for sure!

doris

Visit site
As my planned trip takes me through Loire, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Rhône, Provence, Languedoc, Bergerac and Bordeaux, I don’t think wine will be a problem. For the next few weeks it’s beer though.
Interesting route, by boat!!!!

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
An oyster knife.
I thought about this thread, some of the artillery I have for shellfish et similia: oyster knife, oyster fork (both right and lefthanded), various picks for sea snails of different sizes, crab pliers, scallop knife (when sharpened it's quite good as rigging knife as well), the white plastic plate + pestle is for crabs with tender shell :)

shellfish tools.jpg

shellfish tools2.jpg

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Anyone who doesn’t have a grill, and likes toast, we have the cheapest widget. Under a tenner from many good and bad camping shops including Halfords, a toaster for the gas hob. Wire mesh and a wire frame, folds flat. Toast and marmalade, and I’ll have an Espresso too, thanks Lusty.

Plum

Visit site