Recommendations sought - must-have equipment for a boats galley.

oilybilge

Visit site
At least one really good kitchen knife.

I bought mine at Chatham, in that huge factory outlet beside the marina. The kitchen shop there is a bit more upmarket than the others, and the girl there took her job very seriously. She disappeared out the back and came back with a chopping-board full of vegetables, and made me try out the various knives on them. I think I was there for the best part of an hour, solemnly slicing carrots and onions and potatoes. I didn't mind; there's not much else to do in Chatham. Anyway, I was eventually allowed to buy my knife and I think kindly of her whenever I use it. It's a very good knife.

Gustywinds

Visit site

I bought mine at Chatham, in that huge factory outlet beside the marina. The kitchen shop there is a bit more upmarket than the others, and the girl there took her job very seriously. She disappeared out the back and came back with a chopping-board full of vegetables, and made me try out the various knives on them. I think I was there for the best part of an hour, solemnly slicing carrots and onions and potatoes. I didn't mind; there's not much else to do in Chatham. Anyway, I was eventually allowed to buy my knife and I think kindly of her whenever I use it. It's a very good knife.
Good knives are an essential. When we first got married ( 40 years ago), we spent a fortune on a set of Wusthof knives. We still have them and they are still as good. So I bought 3 for the boat (bread, carver, 150mm general purpose). I also bought two Gerber EZ out deck knives so I am never tempted to use the kitchen knives outside!

blush2

Visit site
A Muggi, not just for drinks but a useful place to keep small items, not necessarily catering related.

Silicone trivit type mat to stand hot pans on or stop anything sliding around.

Finally, we had a large wooden chopping board adapted to sit over the larger sink - multiple uses such as extra work surface, chopping board and, most importantly, somewhere to stand paint pots, tools etc during winter lift out. Protected the galley surface, usually it had a sand down before launch.

Mister E

Visit site

Did she have a stew for dinner that night?;):)

James_Calvert

Visit site
Tea spoons.

About a dozen.

Kitchen paper, foil, cling film.

Another tin opener ( one that actually works)

Matches, for your cooker when the electronic ignition fails.

Candles.

Sieve. For spaghetti or rice.

wonkywinch

Visit site
Was partner's birthday last week. I struggled to get the champagne opened so bought one of these. It presses into the grooves made by the wire cage and works perfectly!

poo2.jpg

Then pop one of these in the top to preserve the fizz until the next glass is due ..

top.jpg

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Things we use regularly;

Stainless cafetière
Pressure cooker
Frying pan
Decent saucepans (we have John Lewis own brand heavy duty stainkess three layer things but they don’t seem to sell them any more. They’re like the Le Creusot stainless ones but didn’t cost £350!)
Good quality chefs knives and a sharpening stone
Whisk
Wooden spoons
Kettie
Tin opener
Corkscrew
Grater
Mixing bowls
Chopping board set

Because we live onboard 6 months of the year we also have a set of scales (NOT DIGITAL !!) and an electric mixer amongst many other things but these are not essential…

FWIW we have this bowl set: Nest™ 9 Plus Bowl Set - Editions | Joseph Joseph (Other colours available.)