Recommendations sought - must-have equipment for a boats galley.

GHA

Visit site
Would desperately miss my Hawkins pressure cooker and immersion blender for fruit smoothies & home made mayonnaise. Also hand coffee grinder & moka pot. And some keffir starter.

oilybilge

Visit site
These pressure cookers that everyone has -- are they the hissy old-fashioned sort with weights on top? And what sort of things are you cooking in them?

Last edited:

Gustywinds

Visit site
These pressure cookers that everyone has -- are they the hissy old-fashioned sort with weights on top? And what sort of things are you cooking in them?
You don't. They are a fallback for when you lose your anchor!

(We have a pressure coooker at home we got as a wedding present. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many times it has been used)

capnsensible

Visit site
We had a pressure cooker. Was supposed to be dogs doodahs. After not very long, it was 'the large pot formerly known as pressure cooker'. So not very popular. Unlike wooden cooking utensils. Perfect.

Gustywinds

Visit site
Plenty of wine! With that all else falls into place.

(I'm thinking of that (now deceased) TV chef (Keith Floyd?) that used to get well sloshed as he cooked.)
As my planned trip takes me through Loire, Burgundy, Beaujolais, Rhône, Provence, Languedoc, Bergerac and Bordeaux, I don’t think wine will be a problem. For the next few weeks it’s beer though.

Neeves

Visit site
Shuttle Chef, Mr D's Thermal Cooker is a copy. The Shuttle Chef comes in a variety of sizes and there are a couple of other suppliers, Tiger and...(cannot remember :( ).

Thermos Thermal Cooker Review - Practical Sailor

Uses technology honed by Sir James Dewar, hence the Dewar flask.

We find the Shuttle Chef significantly better than a pressure cooker (and they don't have long, inconvenient handles)

Magma, maybe better known for their BBQs have an excellent stacking saucepan set in heavy duty stainless (I suspect made in the US) and Tefal (called something like 'Ingenio') have/had at least 2 different sets of nesting cookware (some of which are non stick coated) are stainless and are induction ready. There is a range of square stacking non stick saucepans (made in NZ by the brother of Grant Dalton) called Smart Space available (I think) on eBay in the UK. Smartspace, Tefal and Magma come with removal handles. All of these 3 sets/supplies are heavy duty. You can buy rectangular frying pans of various sizes in Asian supermarkets, fixed handles (they are part of sushi preparation - the thin omelettes that are part of the variety of fillings).

You can source silicone flexible kettles, with a sort of stainless saucer for the base that sits on the heat

Visit caravan retailers for even more stuff. I suspect the caravan market is siginificantly bigger than the yacht market and there maybe a greater range and cheaper prices. I know there are Korean makers of stacking saucepans but never used them.

Jonathan

Last edited:

Frank Holden

Visit site
Shuttle Chef, Mr D's Thermal Cooker is a copy. The Shuttle Chef comes in a variety of sizes and there are a couple of other suppliers, Tiger and...(cannot remember :( ).

Thermos Thermal Cooker Review - Practical Sailor

Uses technology honed by Sir James Dewar, hence the Dewar flask.

We find the Shuttle Chef significantly better than a pressure cooker (and they don't have long, inconvenient handles)

Magma, maybe better known for their BBQs have an excellent stacking saucepan set in heavy duty stainless (I suspect made in the US) and Tefal (called something like 'Ingenio') have/had at least 2 different sets of nesting cookware (some of which are non stick coated) are stainless and are induction ready. There is a range of square stacking non stick saucepans (made in NZ by the brother of Grant Dalton) called Smart Space available (I think) on eBay in the UK. Smartspace, Tefal and Magma come with removal handles. All of these 3 sets/supplies are heavy duty. You can buy rectangular frying pans of various sizes in Asian supermarkets, fixed handles (they are part of sushi preparation - the thin omelettes that are part of the variety of fillings).

You can source silicone flexible kettles, with a sort of stainless saucer for the base that sits on the heat

Visit caravan retailers for even more stuff. I suspect the caravan market is siginificantly bigger than the yacht market and there maybe a greater range and cheaper prices. I know there are Korean makers of stacking saucepans but never used them.

Jonathan
You could save more than a few ££££££ by just buying a Wonderbag Home | Wonderbag™
These have the added advantage that - when bouncing around in a seaway - you can stow it just about anywhere while it does its stuff.

michael_w

Visit site
Scoot guard or similar, saves much bad language when it gets bumpy,
A really good meal from tins, kept in reserve for emergencies. Mine includes:
Cullen skink
Reflets de France Coq au Vin
Dauphinoise potatoes
Collard greens
Steamed pudding