recommendation for scotland trip

Larida

Middle of Nowhere - that's in the middle of German
Visit site
Have a look at this site

http://www.northernwanderer.co.uk/

I know David Leaver and what you see on his site, I would think, is what you would get.
I wish I could find time to book a cruise with him myself, he's a great sailing instructor and naturalist.
CJ

That looks great - at least if I could find the time, so hopefully not all berths are taken by the time I know about my vacation....
Quite expensive, but it might be worth it. Have you been on a cruise with David before?

Romeo

Visit site
You might find something to your taste here:

http://eda-frandsen.co.uk/itinerary/

http://www.sailezra.co.uk/

http://www.mischiefexpeditions.co.uk/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

No interest other than an admiration for proper boats.

....or this: http://www.clydeclassicsailing.com/ as another way to enjoy natural materials in a lovely sailing ground.

rhs-pics_s01.gif

scottie

Visit site
Try cumbrae sports centre
They run several options and are based on the Clyde mostly with relatively easy access from both Glasgow and prestwick airports
They do 5day trips from march onwards for dayskipper etc

dunedin

Visit site
The perfect solution would be to do both

1) The Clyde in March - probably with the Scottish National Sailing Centre at Cumbrae who have two yachts and great courses. Easy access from Glasgow airport, and plenty of beautiful sailing around the Clyde islands, which have more places open and more shelter for this time of year. And

2) Summer cruise further north - starting Oban or similar, when the days are longer and the weather warmer (though not necessarily better winds)

Orla

www.yachtorla.com
Have a look at this site

http://www.northernwanderer.co.uk/

I know David Leaver and what you see on his site, I would think, is what you would get.
I wish I could find time to book a cruise with him myself, he's a great sailing instructor and naturalist.
CJ

I can recommend Dave also, very experienced skipper, great boat. He goes to places that many people won't venture.
Dougie

Old Troll

Visit site
Old Troll

Best to start in Barra with such as Westbound Adventurer in mid summer if possible and start of in the Hebrides. WBA are the only sailing school / charter which operate out of the Western Isles. There is no one to my knowledge does sea school in the Hebrides in March. Too cold and short daylight hours mean that you cannot take full advantage of a wonderfull sailing area. Fly to Barra or ferry to Castlebay from Oban. I do hope that you come to the West Coast Of Scotland and enjoy the sailing, good food and good whisky and music if you can find the Vatersay Boys in full flow.

Quandary

Visit site
Whisky or whiskey

A wee bit of history for those who like to make a distinction.
The spelling 'whiskey' originated in Dublin and was used only in that city for spirit made from malted and unmalted barley which was triple distilled. Whisky was made elsewhere throughout Ireland until as recently as the 1970s when the name 'whiskey' was adopted by other Irish producers as a marketing device to distinguish their product as they started to compete with the Scots for foreign markets. For a long time before that much of the Irish whisky sold was imported from Scotland and relabelled; this despite the fact that the continuous still was invented by an Irishman in 1830, but he had to travel to Scotland to find someone to take it on. (Interesting that the inventor, Aeneas Coffey, had been Ireland's head of excise) Irish whisky was very poorly marketed compared to Scotch, for instance Jameson was not bottled and labelled until 1969 though Irish Distillers had been producing it for decades.
So 'whiskey' is just one type of whisky and a bit of an upstart, so as the spirit keeps well and is often improved by age, it would be surprising if there was not plenty of Irish whisky still about.

Acknowledgement; Tom Bruce-Gardyne writing in The Herald drink page 22/10/11(which also includes a 'distillery of the week' series which has been running weekly for years and still has not got out of Scotland)

Larida

Middle of Nowhere - that's in the middle of German
Visit site
Many thanks to all of you - there are 3-4 different possibilities which fit my plans - great! It must be good to live in such a beautiful place.
Now it's getting hard to decide and find the right time and convince people that I have to get on vacations this time of the year...

... and maybe find out drinking whisky - well, you started this discussion, so can you tell me if there at all is a whisky I could like ???
In general, I have to admit that I prefer the sweeter things like sherry and port wine.... (but these are not from the region I prefer to sail this or next year).

Evadne

Visit site
If you like sweet things and the classic whisky liqueur, Drambuie, then you can visit the small loch of the same name ( different spelling, but that's Gaelic for you). It's not far from Tobermory.

Quandary

Visit site
Perhaps the link is a bit too tenuous, be a shame for the OP to turn up at Loch Drumbuie (Droma na buidhe) in Morvern expecting to get a drink. The liqueur is claimed to have originated in Skye but heaven knows where they mix it these days. Worth visiting if you take it with you though.
Larida, you will be very welcome but the scenery is balanced by the climate, dry days in October 2011 = zero. As others have said our summer is usually in either May or June but recently even that can not be relied on.

Last edited:

tobermoryphil

Visit site
Yep, summer fell on April 30 this year.
Incidentally, our Mull whisky producers, particularly from the cave at Crackaig, had a lively illegal export business with Northern Ireland in the early 19th century.

agurney

agurney.com
Many thanks to all of you - there are 3-4 different possibilities which fit my plans - great! It must be good to live in such a beautiful place.
Now it's getting hard to decide and find the right time and convince people that I have to get on vacations this time of the year...

... and maybe find out drinking whisky - well, you started this discussion, so can you tell me if there at all is a whisky I could like ???
In general, I have to admit that I prefer the sweeter things like sherry and port wine.... (but these are not from the region I prefer to sail this or next year).

Try before you buy ... http://sailing.agurney.com/list-of-anchorages/laphroaig