Recommend me a boat model

circumtravel

Visit site
So I have been planning a round the UK trip in a motorboat for a while but my current boat is not suitable at all and so will be looking to purchase something in the next 6 months that can do this trip.

If you had to do this trip, what sort of boat would you pick with the following constraints.

1. Can cruise at 30 knots comfortably.

2. Long range. I was looking at warrior 175's but they only have a ~90L fuel tank so I would need to install a much larger fuel tank if running a 115hp engine. Marinas selling petrol are few and far between in some places around the coast so I am looking at carrying 400L+.

3. Length 16ft-22ft. Part of this trip is to do it in a relatively small boat.

4. Must have a roof over the controls. Warriors you can get a small soft cover to extend over the seats.

Any other tips regarding boat and engine choices?

Before anyone asks, I do have a safety equipment list already but still debating whether or not radar is necessary.

Dino

Visit site
30 knots is ambitious for a cruising speed at sea, especially in a small boat. You should probably work off a 20 knot average when planning.
you probably need to be looking at a decent sized rib 6.5m or over.
Harry Dwyer is going round in a 4m Avon Searider but he is doing it in legs and picking his weather.
Are you looking to go round continuously or in legs?

Visit site
I had a Warrior 16 for about 8 years. I'd have hesitated to go round the Isle of Wight in it in any kind of weather, never mind round the UK. The 175 is ermm, 18" longer.

Are you intending to carry a wing engine? Without it you're one piece of rope or net away from being disabled.

circumtravel

Visit site
30 knots is ambitious for a cruising speed at sea, especially in a small boat. You should probably work off a 20 knot average when planning.
you probably need to be looking at a decent sized rib 6.5m or over.
Harry Dwyer is going round in a 4m Avon Searider but he is doing it in legs and picking his weather.
Are you looking to go round continuously or in legs?

Yes, my plan is based off 20 knots but the ability to cruise at 30 if conditions are right would be nice.
The current plan is to do it in one go, only stopping each day for fuel and somewhere to sleep.
This trip is more about doing the circumnavigation rather than a leisurely holiday. There will be 2 of us and we will only set off when there is a few days of favourable conditions forecast and then when we are 2-3 days in, we will just evaluate each day as to whether or not we head out for another leg.

I had a Warrior 16 for about 8 years. I'd have hesitated to go round the Isle of Wight in it in any kind of weather, never mind round the UK. The 175 is ermm, 18" longer.

Are you intending to carry a wing engine? Without it you're one piece of rope or net away from being disabled.

Yes, definitely will have a second engine, either dual outboards of the same size or a smaller backup.

I am particularly interested in what boat size and type you (much more experienced) fellows would use for this sort of mission.

Dino

Visit site
I’m not sure what your budget is but if money was no object, I would be looking at boats like Axopars or XO’s. or maybe a small Botnia Targa.
I’m not sure if I would be putting a size restriction on your intended purchase as it will limit you from some really good boats.
Here’s a really good option
Ferryman 950 for sale UK, Ferryman boats for sale, Ferryman used boat sales, Ferryman Inflatable Boats For Sale 2004 9.5m Ferryman offshore RIB - Apollo Duck
Much easier to get diesel along your route, no dragging Jerry cans back from the nearest petrol station. Extra length for comfort and a good powerful Yanmar engine.

circumtravel

Visit site
I’m not sure what your budget is but if money was no object, I would be looking at boats like Axopars or XO’s. or maybe a small Botnia Targa.
I’m not sure if I would be putting a size restriction on your intended purchase as it will limit you from some really good boats.
Here’s a really good option
Ferryman 950 for sale UK, Ferryman boats for sale, Ferryman used boat sales, Ferryman Inflatable Boats For Sale 2004 9.5m Ferryman offshore RIB - Apollo Duck
Much easier to get diesel along your route, no dragging Jerry cans back from the nearest petrol station. Extra length for comfort and a good powerful Yanmar engine.

Just realised I haven't put a budget. I am aiming for a maximum of £15k so Axopar's are WELL out of my budget! I could stretch if I find nothing suitable for that price though.

That rib is nice but I do want some cover and a bit of deck space to grill a mackeral or 2.

Some nutty guys went round Australia in 2x 5.4m ribs.. apparently had some fun with crocs.. but can't imagine you will have that issue...

Story here... Follow the Yellow Boat Road - Pennicott Foundation

Steve

Ribs do seem to be the boat of choice for this sort of thing but I am looking for something with cover over the controls.

willbank

Visit site
I’m not sure what your budget is but if money was no object, I would be looking at boats like Axopars or XO’s.

I will be accused of being biased but I have done a lot of research in this sector and I would suggest a diesel XO 270 Cabin (having run a 6.5m XS RIB for years) - it's 27 feet, fully enclosed, 24 degree deadrise hull with proven capability (ignore the Cat C rating - I have spoken to those who rated them and the trade-offs that were calculated in and it could easily be B - especially the front cabin version where water can't be held in the open bow).

The cabin is more robust than the Axopar 28 (no canvas roof) and they come with useful safety features like searchlights. Also easily able to add radar which I would not circumnavigate without given the number of stories of dense fog in the north and east (read the RIB.net forums for info!)... Also the aluminium hull is very tough.

I wouldn't go with petrol outboards (though, I did!) because a quick squint at Reeds will show you how few marinas have petrol pumps. Plus they're thirstier. I think the inboard diesels have 300L tank capacity and then it's relatively cheap to add a 100-200L fuel bladder to add more for the legs that need it - 200L FueLocker | Aero Tec Laboratories

Top speed is 40+ knots so you'll easily be able to cruise at 30 if you wish and you can stay out in significant seas if willing to drop to 15-20 knots.

There are some second hand ones in the UK that might be ready to have a cheeky offer given their time on the market.

*** IGNORE ALL THE ABOVE!! HAVE NOW SEEN YOUR COMMENT RE BUDGET!***

circumtravel

Visit site
I will be accused of being biased but I have done a lot of research in this sector and I would suggest a diesel XO 270 Cabin (having run a 6.5m XS RIB for years) - it's 27 feet, fully enclosed, 24 degree deadrise hull with proven capability (ignore the Cat C rating - I have spoken to those who rated them and the trade-offs that were calculated in and it could easily be B - especially the front cabin version where water can't be held in the open bow).

The cabin is more robust than the Axopar 28 (no canvas roof) and they come with useful safety features like searchlights. Also easily able to add radar which I would not circumnavigate without given the number of stories of dense fog in the north and east (read the RIB.net forums for info!)... Also the aluminium hull is very tough.

I wouldn't go with petrol outboards (though, I did!) because a quick squint at Reeds will show you how few marinas have petrol pumps. Plus they're thirstier. I think the inboard diesels have 300L tank capacity and then it's relatively cheap to add a 100-200L fuel bladder to add more for the legs that need it - 200L FueLocker | Aero Tec Laboratories

Top speed is 40+ knots so you'll easily be able to cruise at 30 if you wish and you can stay out in significant seas if willing to drop to 15-20 knots.

There are some second hand ones in the UK that might be ready to have a cheeky offer given their time on the market.

*** IGNORE ALL THE ABOVE!! HAVE NOW SEEN YOUR COMMENT RE BUDGET!***

Yep, I wish one of those was in my budget.

I guess I should have phrased my original question as "What is the smallest boat with cover over the control that would be just about enough to get around the UK for £15k".

BruceK

Visit site
Leeward 18

Good call, but take out a dental plan first. Like all cathedral hulls they are prone to slamming and this one with the helm far forward certainly feels, if not is, worse than most. Personally I'd be looking for deep V and 24 deg plus deadrise. Most fast fishers will compromise for stability at rest to be an effective fishing platform but that doesn't lend itself to your task. I'd look a little outside the box to American fast fishers who are built to go deep out. Look at Seaswirl Stripper and the like

circumtravel

Visit site
Seahog/Leewards - All I keep reading about them is the harsh ride offshore and how much better Raiders are.

There are a couple of Raider 18's for sale which might be up to the job. Certainly not a deep V but I suspect I won't find any deep V hulls with a cover, in the UK and in my budget.

Canopy Locked

Visit site
Seahog/Leewards - All I keep reading about them is the harsh ride offshore and how much better Raiders are.

There are a couple of Raider 18's for sale which might be up to the job. Certainly not a deep V but I suspect I won't find any deep V hulls with a cover, in the UK and in my budget.
So I have come across the Quicksilver 650/Dell Quay 650 and it looks perfect!

Dell Quay - 650 Explorer in Gwynedd, Wales | Boats and Outboards

I've had a Leeward 18 - stable but incredibly uncomfortable in any sort of sea - I've also had a modern 755 marlin merry fisher. I also go fishing in a friends Warrior 175 (he's got a twin engine) - if you think you can run a whole day at 20 knots and keep your back / neck / teeth intact then I'd suggest you think again - all nice boats but bloody uncomfortable in a sea. If you want to go fast get a rib with suspension seats - or dial down your speed expectations - also suggest diesel

Reality61

Visit site
The RB12 (Round Britian race in 2012) had over 30 entrants it was cancelled. It started and finished at Weymouth to co inside with the Olympics.
We had a friend enter he had a Humber rib made specially for this event with twin 250 cruising in excess of 30 knots, there were built in stops for the leg, Im sure if you search MBM or YBM they did a coverage of the plan. The secret was to be long enough to cope with the sea conditions there fitness was planned and taken vary seriously.
The 30 knots will break you not the boat if you find one capable to sustain this.
Very ambitious to try and planning will be essential. Not sure if a high free boarded vessel is the best for this my thoughs would be 9M plus.
Good luck.

Rappey

Visit site
Would think it would be more waves than not so average speed will not be above 20knts? so how about a semi displacement hull with an inboard diesel ? It will be a smoother ride

circumtravel

Visit site
I've had a Leeward 18 - stable but incredibly uncomfortable in any sort of sea - I've also had a modern 755 marlin merry fisher. I also go fishing in a friends Warrior 175 (he's got a twin engine) - if you think you can run a whole day at 20 knots and keep your back / neck / teeth intact then I'd suggest you think again - all nice boats but bloody uncomfortable in a sea. If you want to go fast get a rib with suspension seats - or dial down your speed expectations - also suggest diesel

I have been looking at suspension seats and possibly installing a couple into one of these fast fishers.

The RB12 (Round Britian race in 2012) had over 30 entrants it was cancelled. It started and finished at Weymouth to co inside with the Olympics.
We had a friend enter he had a Humber rib made specially for this event with twin 250 cruising in excess of 30 knots, there were built in stops for the leg, Im sure if you search MBM or YBM they did a coverage of the plan. The secret was to be long enough to cope with the sea conditions there fitness was planned and taken vary seriously.
The 30 knots will break you not the boat if you find one capable to sustain this.
Very ambitious to try and planning will be essential. Not sure if a high free boarded vessel is the best for this my thoughs would be 9M plus.
Good luck.

Indeed it seems longer is better. Ideally sustaining 20 knots but this is the best case. In reality it may be far lower. I want to be able to cruise at 20 knots, hit 30 knots if conditions are right and handle the sea in most conditions.

This is going to be an endurance test of both our bodies, we are well aware! The aim is to find a vessel that is safe enough to attempt this trip in. I realise I didn't word my original post very well but I can't edit it now.

Would think it would be more waves than not so average speed will not be above 20knts? so how about a semi displacement hull with an inboard diesel ? It will be a smoother ride

Smoother but slower! I have also seen some Arvor boats with inboard 115hp diesels which may be a good option.
My plan is 10-11 days of cruising if the weather and water was perfect every day. Obviously this could easily triple in reality but that is all part of the plan.