Radio checks why oh why

Daydream believer

Visit site
If your set is working and your antenna is top-of-mast, why do you need a distance test?
Actually that is very important. My 2 friends both thought they had good VHF reception because they called up places like Ramsgate or Dover when close in & the CG from Bradwell aerial when only .5 miles away. However, when cruising in company to Le Havre, it soon became obvious that both of them had issues, as they could only contact the rest of the group by using their hand held VHF radios. The faults on both boats was due to the wiring to the antennae

pvb

Visit site
I've never quite understood this obsession with radio checks (and RJJ's observation seems typical of most of them). Do these people believe that if their radio works properly one moment, it will always work properly? If so, why do a repeated radio check next day/week/month? If they believe their radio could break at any time, there's really no point in doing a radio check.

Concerto

Visit site
In all the years I have been sailing (over 55 years and counting) I have never made a radio check. Having started sailing when virtually no one had VHF, I can manage happily without it most of the time. For day to day use I use a hand held VHF, normally to contact the marina to access the lock or entering/leaving harbours. Then I switch it off leaving it under the sprayhood as I prefer to sail in the peace and quiet. Too much of what is said on Ch16 is totally unneccessary and I certainly do not want to listen to it. If there is a patrol boat or ship nearby I do turn the hand held back on just in case they need to pass on information. I know my DSC VHF situated at the chart table is far more powerful and is in working order, but rarely gets switched on as being singlehanded makes it difficult to get to quickly to use.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've never quite understood this obsession with radio checks (and RJJ's observation seems typical of most of them). Do these people believe that if their radio works properly one moment, it will always work properly? If so, why do a repeated radio check next day/week/month? If they believe their radio could break at any time, there's really no point in doing a radio check.
When you step out into a storm with a challenging climb ahead of you, with a casualty with two broken limbs and was last seen three hours ago you make sure you do a radio check*.

When I put out to sea, I call up NCI from about 5NM away and ask for a radio and AIS check.

In both cases I want to know that I have done all that I can should the excreta hit the whirling device.

*I am happy to report that the casualty did make it safely off the hill. The chap who went up the other mountain and worked as radio relay that night needs a medal!

pvb

Visit site
When you step out into a storm with a challenging climb ahead of you, with a casualty with two broken limbs and was last seen three hours ago you make sure you do a radio check*.

When I put out to sea, I call up NCI from about 5NM away and ask for a radio and AIS check.

In both cases I want to know that I have done all that I can should the excetra hit the whirling device.

*I am happy to report that the casualty did make it safely off the hill. The chap who went up the other mountain and worked as radio relay that night needs a medal!

You've posted that in reply to me, but it doesn't answer my questions.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
During the 7 years I have kept my boat on the coast of Brittany I have never heard anyone ask for a radio check. Apart from weather bulletin announcements it is rare to hear anything on Ch16.
I've heard precisely one in all the time I have been sailing on the West Coast of Scotland. Southern English accent.

lustyd

Visit site
Hamble Point would be a test of your antenna.
Yes, but because they should be on low power although they might hear you, you should not be able to hear them reply! I never suggested the CG was the best option, just a convenient one.

lustyd

Visit site
I think the coastguard needs to stop responding. Any coastguards out there want to respond ?
If you think the CG would prefer people not to know if their radios work until it's too late then you may have misunderstood them entirely. I agree it's unnecessary traffic most of the time, but a quick and polite call on 67 to check once a year for degredation and after any major works seems reasonable. In the between times a quick call to your own marina to say good morning as you leave will suffice usually. It's one thing I liked at Port Solent, the Lock was a pain but did force some practice on the VHF

Daydream believer

Visit site
When I did my round UK trip in 2014 there was one CG station that was regularly transmitting to say that it was no longer doing radio checks on channel 16. I seem to recall that they suggested calling a local marina or CG on a different channel

lustyd

Visit site
'Annoying Git, you are loud and clear, Channel 67 for routine traffic'
Solent CG used to end every reply on 16 with that. It seemed to stop when the call centre type reorg happened. Probably for the best as I got the feeling most people didn't understand what they actually meant.
That can spell death to many a VHF set...
Yes that's certainly how the story goes. In my experience though, most sets will happily transmit without an antenna, and won't go pop just because your connectors are dodgy. I certainly don't recommend it and was just saying it to make the point that it does work, you can transmit at short range that way and receive too, and that that doesn't prove your set will work long range. My new boat worked fine with Port Solent on every trip when I got it. Only after trying something further out did I discover the cable had turned to a greenish powder inside for several feet. Easily fixed but only if you know there's a problem!